Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2018, 07:50 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,825,070 times

Advertisements

There are some good things in Hartford but the design for visitors leaves much to be desired. Why I am I driving an S pattern across rail tracks? The area by the Musto Wine Grape Company has potential (Reserve Road) Obviously it is an industrial area but some décor and landscaping could go a long way.

For parks I like Bushnell and Wickham is pretty good in Manchester
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 09:17 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
There are some good things in Hartford but the design for visitors leaves much to be desired. Why I am I driving an S pattern across rail tracks? The area by the Musto Wine Grape Company has potential (Reserve Road) Obviously it is an industrial area but some décor and landscaping could go a long way.

For parks I like Bushnell and Wickham is pretty good in Manchester
I am not sure what you mean by "S pattern". There are two rail crossings on Reserve Road near Van Dyke Avenue/Wawarme Avenue and both just cross it at a right angle like any crossing. Those rail lines have been there well over a century and a half, long before modern standards for roadway design was in place. The area is primarily industrial but is changing over to other uses including the Colt complex recently being designated a National Park. You are right that the area could benefit from streetscaping. There are plans to rebuild that rail crossing in the next couple of years so you will see some improvement there. It won't necessarily be pretty though or extend beyond the crossing itself. Jay

Old 04-30-2018, 09:25 AM

539 posts, read 332,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
Parkville Market "food hall." This is an interesting proposal. Like all things Hartford, press releases and reality are two different things but this is a concept that has been successful elsewhere.

It would be steps from the fasttack station, have a rooftop bar and dozens of food stalls. Carlos Mouta owns hundreds of thousands of square feet in the neighborhood and this amenity would support his previous investments. It is the kind of development that adds activity and interest to the city.

Hartford’s Parkville whets developer’s ‘food-hall’ appetite | HartfordBusiness.com

The building is located at 1400 Park Street.
I like this. I was in Philly recently and went to their Reading Terminal Market, and it was a huge place with eateries, deli's, markets, diners etc. all under one roof and the place was packed during the week and on the weekend. Coming home I kept thinking CT should try to mimic these types of places on smaller scales in densely populated areas. Being indoors is a huge help since weather is not always the greatest half the year.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:57 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
I like this. I was in Philly recently and went to their Reading Terminal Market, and it was a huge place with eateries, deli's, markets, diners etc. all under one roof and the place was packed during the week and on the weekend. Coming home I kept thinking CT should try to mimic these types of places on smaller scales in densely populated areas. Being indoors is a huge help since weather is not always the greatest half the year.
Philly is a major tourist destination. The National Park. Liberty bell. Independence hall. Reading Terminal Market has some food shopping for locals but it’s mostly tourist and convention business. If you walk out the doors to the north towards the convention center, the street under the convention center is the nastiest bum lair on the planet. The market closes early because the place is so sketchy at night.

I don’t see how Hartford generates the kind of traffic to support that kind of facility. Philly has millions of tourists.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:17 PM

1,930 posts, read 2,042,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Philly is a major tourist destination. The National Park. Liberty bell. Independence hall. Reading Terminal Market has some food shopping for locals but it’s mostly tourist and convention business. If you walk out the doors to the north towards the convention center, the street under the convention center is the nastiest bum lair on the planet. The market closes early because the place is so sketchy at night.

I don’t see how Hartford generates the kind of traffic to support that kind of facility. Philly has millions of tourists.
York, PA has a similar midtown food/farmers market. It's quite successful. If York can make it work I don't see why Hartford can't. Central Market House

Old 05-01-2018, 05:25 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,868,656 times
Quote:

There are alot smaller cities the same size and smaller than hartford that have those types of markets all ready on a smaller scale... mostly in college towns that i seen but will/should work in hartford.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:25 AM

539 posts, read 332,184 times
Quote:

I'm not saying it has to be that size. Even a smaller type establishment could be successful. The lunch crowds during the week were very crowded.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:59 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
I'm not saying it has to be that size. Even a smaller type establishment could be successful. The lunch crowds during the week were very crowded.
So you're saying cubicle trolls are going to leave their office towers, walk 15 minutes to a food court, eat, and walk 15 minutes back to their office tower cubicle? That doesn't align with any 2018 corporate employee behavior I've observed. Employees will hit a takeout lunch place or food cart within a block of the office. They're on the clock. Reading Terminal Market is tourists. Quincy Market - Faneuil Hall is tourists. In Hartford, where does the foot traffic come from? College students don't spend money. Office workers don't have the time. Metro Hartford has 50+ years training people to flee the city at 5pm and do their shopping in the suburbs near where they live.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:47 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,868,656 times
Quote:
So you're saying cubicle trolls are going to leave their office towers, walk 15 minutes to a food court, eat, and walk 15 minutes back to their office tower cubicle? That doesn't align with any 2018 corporate employee behavior I've observed. Employees will hit a takeout lunch place or food cart within a block of the office. They're on the clock. Reading Terminal Market is tourists. Quincy Market - Faneuil Hall is tourists. In Hartford, where does the foot traffic come from? College students don't spend money. Office workers don't have the time. Metro Hartford has 50+ years training people to flee the city at 5pm and do their shopping in the suburbs near where they live.
Well there are many people that leave their offices in downtown new haven to go get tacos from the taco trucks from longworth....

Old 05-01-2018, 08:58 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,614,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Well there are many people that leave their offices in downtown new haven to go get tacos from the taco trucks from longworth....
The former Bishop Ladder building isn't even close to downtown jobs. The site is much further west off the Sisson Ave I84 exit. Nobody is going to waste lunch time on a bus ride. A future food court should be closer to downtown and the convention center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut