Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 10:25 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,745,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I kind of feel bad taking the day off now. ��
When do you think it will start to get bad up here?
Dude, don't second guess yourself. Especially knowing what a rotten attitude the owner has (from what you have posted). You made the best decision you could with the information you had available at the time.

That being said, I would SERIOUSLY consider moving within 10 miles of work just to save your sanity. I know you want to be near your mom, but I can't imagine why you can't drive an hour every weekend to see her when there is no traffic.

You could't pay me enough to do a 1hr+ commute everyday. The 20 min it takes me to go 8 miles in traffic from G-bury to Hartford is already at my limit!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 10:38 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,210,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Dude, don't second guess yourself. Especially knowing what a rotten attitude the owner has (from what you have posted). You made the best decision you could with the information you had available at the time.

That being said, I would SERIOUSLY consider moving within 10 miles of work just to save your sanity. I know you want to be near your mom, but I can't imagine why you can't drive an hour every weekend to see her when there is no traffic.

You could't pay me enough to do a 1hr+ commute everyday. The 20 min it takes me to go 8 miles in traffic from G-bury to Hartford is already at my limit!!
Lol. Thanks. My mom is just a small reason why we moved here by the way. Grew up in NY..,....couldn't wait to escape it. You think property taxes and other taxes are high here? Live in Westchester county or try to buy a house there.
In our future..... Near future......wife and I always had a plan to get jobs near where we live now. Besides us both working in Westchester county, we are so over NY.
I actually don't mind a ride......its the traffic that is a downer if that makes any sense.
Thanks though and now back to the weather topic. Oh and my owner? Yeah, when we had the blizzard last year, they wouldn't close. Even with Sandy. I was obviously home though.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:44 AM

83,550 posts, read 75,428,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
It's been a fairly steady light snow all morning here in the Hartford area, no lull. Funny that it doesn't seem to be showing up on radar though.
Thanks! It's so light in nature and very thin clouds with the moisture the radar has a hard time sometimes picking it up. Keep us posted.

While we wait elsewhere...

Current radar and wind metars with a couple OBS reports.

BDR winds gusting to 24mph from NE. (typical NorEaster feel but I didn't think would this soon)
BDL wind chill of 0.9°.
Boston has Blowing snow

You know... continuing to see snow falling around Capes and Boston area I have no doubt they get over a foot and some spots over 16". The setup is getting prime for it and I don't think we expected this much to fall already. Look at the loop. Bands are coming right off the ocean still

Some areas got 3-4" already. CT reports in that link as well.

Edit..... 8 inches now in spots I believe near the capes. WOW!

Last edited by Cambium; 01-02-2014 at 11:06 AM..

Old 01-02-2014, 10:48 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,400,769 times
yeah +1 on that gm guy. No big deal. You have a long commute and you thought it was going to be bad.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:04 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,210,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
yeah +1 on that gm guy. No big deal. You have a long commute and you thought it was going to be bad.
Yep......I keep looking out the window hoping for a heavy snow to take away the guilt. Lol. It was snowing light when I woke up this morning and our parking area was covered so I thought it was going to intensify and just said screw it.
I guess no biggie, as I posted earlier I didnt use one sick day for 2013 anyway.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:16 AM

56 posts, read 173,013 times
It has been snowing here in Enfield since early this morning, although it is lite at times. I would guess we have about three inches so far. There is a slight breeze getting going and the snowflakes appear to be getting a little bigger now.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:29 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,501,679 times
The ground was covered this morning in Wallingford but everything on the street has melted or iced now. It is freezing outside that's for sure. When can we expect the lull to stop and snow to begin again? I'm debating if I am going to the gym after work.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:33 PM

Who would of thought that with a coastal storm and a system coming from the "south" that Boston metro and parts of MA would see 4-8" on the ground before CT? Nuts.

National Weather Service Text Product Display

CONNECTICUT

...HARTFORD COUNTY...
HARTFORD 2.0
BDL 1.8
SOUTH WINDSOR 1.7
WINDSOR 1.6
EAST FARMINGTON HEIG 1.5
MANCHESTER 1.3

...TOLLAND COUNTY...
TOLLAND 1.8
STAFFORDVILLE 1.0

Old 01-02-2014, 12:42 PM

Update:: Radar and temps. Looks like we have another couple hours of dryness. I think the 5-6pm commte will be fine. These are the details its just impossible to know.

Technology can tell us a storm is coming from 11 days away but we just don't know exactly what time it starts/stops snowing/raining yet even a day before.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:50 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,400,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Who would of thought that with a coastal storm and a system coming from the "south" that Boston metro and parts of MA would see 4-8" on the ground before CT? Nuts.
It's NOT nuts!
That didn't come from the south. It was a different low that came from the west. The same one that gave chicago/midwest snow. That low will transfer it's energy to the one off the coast coming from the south. That's why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut