Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 06:11 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times

Advertisements

Proud of West Hartford schools' decision this morning--normal schedule, no early dismissals. I agree--if they start over-reacting to minor snowfalls, we'll have a repeat of last year when school didn't end until June 26.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 06:18 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfromct View Post
The cold coming Friday night is a bigger story then this run of mill snow event.
Agreed. I am less concerned about driving home in a few inches of snow tonight than I am with snow blowing my driveway tomorrow morning in subzero wind chills.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:20 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Closeup radar with wind chills. Interesting we're getting streaming moisture moving NorthWest from the Atlantic when the overall system is moving Northeast.

All light stuff though. Flurries here for past 4 hrs.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:27 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfromct View Post
The cold coming Friday night is a bigger story then this run of mill snow event. People are actually staying home today?...LOL
The cold is not that far off! Check out Albany at 2 F right now (with 1/2 mile visibility in snow)!

Old 01-02-2014, 06:40 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
What's funny, and I don't mean to be off topic, but I went to another States forum and saw that people were talking about temps in the -25º and it being somewhat "nice" out. It's snow, you live in New England. Why are people freaking out!? I get the school closing in some respect. But to me, it feels like if we get 3" of snow the whole state goes into a panic. Man up Connecticut! We look like whimps.

...and back to topic..

I had 1" of the white stuff, and it was lite.
Connecticut used to be like that - I remember going to UConn basketball games in heavy snow storms. One year, I had seats right behind the cheerleaders and one of the young ladies - who must have been from somewhere south of CT - asked why the game wasn't canceled, and one of the head cheerleaders responded by saying, "this is Connecticut, we never cancel."

Unfortunately, I think it's been driven by the media. The weather people on TV and radio know they can create a panic and get bigger ratings if people are hyped up over the weather. So, they've been selling "disaster" weather for 10-15 years now, and it's caught on so much that people buy into it now. Every month now, we have the "Storm of the Century" or the "Storm of Death" or similar, and local TV goes into round-the-clock coverage of the weather if we get more than a drizzle.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:51 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Proud of West Hartford schools' decision this morning--normal schedule, no early dismissals. I agree--if they start over-reacting to minor snowfalls, we'll have a repeat of last year when school didn't end until June 26.
Me, too. But I think that New Britain's decision not to open had more to do with not wanting to heat up and open up for just two days, after a long vacation. Probably they're looking to save a little money by waiting until Monday to heat the schools. Can't blame them. They have an extremely tight school budget.

I still think it's likely that WH will have an early dismissal today, depending upon when the heavier snow is forecast to arrive.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:00 AM

385 posts, read 362,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
The cold is not that far off! Check out Albany at 2 F right now (with 1/2 mile visibility in snow)!
Yeah, It's -10 F at my sister's house in Westfield ,VT. Tomorrow's high is going to be -3 F up there!

Old 01-02-2014, 07:07 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
I've been working in Minnesota and the Dakotas a lot lately for work. When it is -27 F not including the wind chill....now that's cold.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:34 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagliola View Post
Sounds like another silly move - making everyone go in on snow covered roads and then go home early.. Driveway is covered here and snow is steadily coming down in North Stamford.
It was, up here the periods were shortened from 45 to 20 minutes and no one is doing anything. I would think given the likely result tomorrow that they would actually save money and energy if they stayed closed today, but someone else told me that because midterms are in 2 weeks having a lot of snow days pushes that off (not that anyone was reviewing for them on this short day). Ironically it's my last day here as I'm starting something new in Stamford next week and I'm spending most of my time here saying bye to colleagues.

I have to say driving up 684 in the snow in the dark (job starts at 715am and it's that time of year when sunrise is at its latest) was doable but no fun at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Unfortunately, I think it's been driven by the media. The weather people on TV and radio know they can create a panic and get bigger ratings if people are hyped up over the weather. So, they've been selling "disaster" weather for 10-15 years now, and it's caught on so much that people buy into it now. Every month now, we have the "Storm of the Century" or the "Storm of Death" or similar, and local TV goes into round-the-clock coverage of the weather if we get more than a drizzle.
It's also driven by a more lawsuit happy society. As for the other poster about West Hartford, if the storm comes in early and they suddenly have to get kids out of school quickly, it becomes a mess. They should've at least early dismissal.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:41 AM

16 posts, read 18,967 times
A big dry slot. Lower then forecast storm totals. Over hyped precip development. <cough cough>.

The cold will be the story. You know how fast a home in CT cools off when it's -7 with wind? I remember in a well insulated home with a very efficient furnace having it go 45 min out of every hour yo keep the house at 68F. And run 3 hours straight to raise the inside temp from64 to 68f. And seeing a 10 -12 gallon per day burn rate. Poorly insulated or inefficient furnaces burn more and people run out its gonna get dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut