Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 11:04 AM

830 posts, read 684,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
That means as I have noticed with other stats that almost all of NYC's modern warming is in the nighttime lows, as we've discussed. I have to wonder why, in their case it can't be much if anything with the atmosphere itself because it is much more pronounced than other places (and your BDL stats seem to show that at least since the 60s it hasn't happened there at all!). Logic would tell me a bigger Urban Heat Island than it the past but while I'd certainly "buy" that for compared to the 1800s and even pre-1930s, it even shows between say 1950 and now and I don't think NYC has really grown that much since the mid-20th century (heck, for awhile in the 1970s it was losing people like mad and the media was half-joking how it was becoming like Detroit......a lot of people don't realize that between the 1970 and 1980 Census they dropped 10-15% of their population (almost a million people) before growing again when Wall Street boomed, especially since you'd have to be at least in your late 50s to remember that as an adult, I only know it because even as a kid I was a big "stat geek" on things like that).

The one other place I've seen a similar trend is right inside Washington, DC (which in modern times they record at Reagan Airport right across the Potomac in Arlington, VA......Dulles is an entirely different animal meteorologically that gets massive radiational cooling a la Danbury, I hate when they use that to talk about DC weather, it's like using Westchester Airport for NYC). Like Central Park and far less than even other old Northeast cities like Boston and Philly, their daily record lows have a big 1800s/early 1900s skew and record lows are rarely broken, in fact this month they had their first "broken" record daily low of any kind since 1994 (Central Park had one in January of last year and it was their first since 1994, they broke another one this month).
I ponder the effects of emissions in the immediate vicinities of larger cities like NYC, Baltimore, etc. The structures and surfaces in cities and denser suburbs retain heat well, and would correlate with urbanization since the 1800s, but what about the industrial revolution through the 1900s? Emissions have obviously increased during the general time period of the 20th Century, so could emission sites around cities have an effect on the area's radiational cooling efficiency during the night, therefore maintaining higher night-time temperatures than what our records have shown before the industrial revolution? Since the 2000s, emissions have been decreasing in NYC, and other areas of the US, so could have radiational cooling over the past few years intensified? Again, only talking about cities and their vicinities in the short-term over decades, not the globe or long-term effects over centuries.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:17 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Euro12z colder for mid week next week but lot more precip. Snow Tuesday night, Rain Wednesday, back to snow Wednesday night. MESS!

Lets focus on 1 storm at a time.

BTW... Denver now has the snowiest February on record. So many places breaking record cold and snow. Gees. But MSM & NOAA only mentions you know what side.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:17 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Native View Post
I ponder the effects of emissions in the immediate vicinities of larger cities like NYC, Baltimore, etc. The structures and surfaces in cities and denser suburbs retain heat well, and would correlate with urbanization since the 1800s, but what about the industrial revolution through the 1900s? Emissions have obviously increased during the general time period of the 20th Century, so could emission sites around cities have an effect on the area's radiational cooling efficiency during the night, therefore maintaining higher night-time temperatures than what our records have shown before the industrial revolution? Since the 2000s, emissions have been decreasing in NYC, and other areas of the US, so could have radiational cooling over the past few years intensified? Again, only talking about cities and their vicinities in the short-term over decades, not the globe or long-term effects over centuries.
Radiational cooling within NYC has gotten less not more though, I really thought with this historically cold month a subzero low was going to happen and it didn't.

Ironically in the 1970s when we did have a few really cold years that hadnt happened in about 3 decades they were saying what you are saying but on a more global scale. Theres a famous Newsweek cover from 1975 on it. Supposedly all these emissions block sunlight (the scientific term is reduced albedo) and makes it colder. The idea is we got rid of a lot of those emissions, so now its not so cold (supposedly in addition to greenhouse gases).

This is why without going into a debate why I think although the science behind both that and global warming are technically sound, its all more complex than simply that and its the kind of thing thats both hard to prove and hard to disprove and thats the real problem that leads to alarmism (40 years ago pollution was going to hasten the next ice age for example, now its that all our cities will be several hundred feet underwater by 2050). Other on the Ice Age theory of the 70s also honestly thought wed be so overpopulated by now that we'd be close to starving outselves out of existence.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:39 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Euro12z colder for mid week next week but lot more precip. Snow Tuesday night, Rain Wednesday, back to snow Wednesday night. MESS!

Lets focus on 1 storm at a time.

BTW... Denver now has the snowiest February on record. So many places breaking record cold and snow. Gees. But MSM & NOAA only mentions you know what side.
That shows how ridiculously cold this air mass is that both sides of the continent can set snow records.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:11 PM

First snowstorm of Meteorological Spring 2015. Another small event.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:08 PM

Snow total forecast from NWS Boston. Starts Sunday afternoon. Ends Monday morning

NWS Mount Holly

Old 02-27-2015, 04:20 PM

Latest GFS18z looks a bit juicier & says this is the snowfall total in a 6hr period Sunday night. Nice snowfall rates there in yellow and red. Regular snow in Green

0.47"qpf Danbury,CT all snow.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:28 PM

830 posts, read 684,180 times
The air below freezing is beginning to feel comfortable with the sun. Today on Long Island, it was in the upper 20s and I had the window open in my house. I didn't need a coat going outside. I also saw a person with just a T-shirt on at Target.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:19 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Native View Post
The air below freezing is beginning to feel comfortable with the sun. Today on Long Island, it was in the upper 20s and I had the window open in my house. I didn't need a coat going outside. I also saw a person with just a T-shirt on at Target.
Thought the same thing. Went out around noon with coworkers for lunch and we all tried guessing the temperature. Was actually 18, felt almost twice that. Snow was even melting in some spots.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:20 PM

302 posts, read 295,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
Was actually 18, felt almost twice that. Snow was even melting in some spots.
Even the snow is used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut