Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 09:51 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,895,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yup... making it to the ground mch north than thought. NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. Just watch those slick spots

Looks like the storm has a little Eye off the North Carolina/Virginia Coast.

Lots of 5-7" snowfall reports in Virginia & South Maryland.

Temps in the teens and snowing lightly here. So friggin weird to keep saying over and over! But I love it.
Snowing in Danbury as well. Was kind of surprised, I thought it would be one of those days where it snows at home but not here because it's further north.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:52 AM

83,527 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Well written !!

By Joe Cioffi

winter2015

Quote:
As this unrelenting cold and snow continues for much of the Eastern states, the voices of the political know it alls and other agenda driven groups have been trying to shout to anyone who will hear them. Those who support the idea of climate change have run into a public relations problem. Their initial labeling of of "Climate Change" as Global Warming has turned into a huge problem because the global warming phrase is stuck in the minds of those they consider sheep and it has become almost impossible to dislodge. In most average non weather people's minds (those who like you and me raise a family pay bills etc ) can't seem to grasp an understanding of what may or may not be going on in the atmosphere.

You may have noticed that I have and will continue to aviod conversations about politics religion and climate change or global warming (notice that those three things may be related). Since I have been told by weather experts who are not climatologist that I am not a climatologist and that my opinions on the subject are moot, I will continue to not venture opinions on the subject. Frankly I could care less. My interests like in forecasting day to day weather changes and not to save the world by supporting some sort of grand scheme to accomplish this by using mine or other people's money.

I find it astounding that so many people ask me my opinion on this and then get angry because I do not support their position. All of this began last night with a tweet I received that just, quite frankly pissed me off.

With regards to Climate Change or Global Warming or whatever it is called let me put my totally unprofessional moot point opinion on the table. Has the planet warmed? Yes it has. All the data show this no matter how you look at it over the last 40 or so years. The political question is whether humans are doing this? This is where I will not venture because then the conversation ultimately descends into the abyss. I do not consider it slanderous to point out that Al Roker (who I have met, respect, and is a wonderfully nice man) works for NBC and the Weather Channel. NBC and GE have wrapped their marketing strategy around the concept of climate change in order to make money. Some people have a problem with this. I do not since this is what businesses do. By me sharing his piece he gets more likes. It doesn't matter that I disagree with him or "misrepresent him" It is win win for Al. Corporations exist to convince you to buy things you don't really need to solve issues that in the long term don't really matter. I doubt most of you sit around worrying incessantly about Climate change when you have kids to feed clothe and send to school while you work 2 jobs to pay your bills. Not all of us can live on the upper west side.

What I do object to is the utterly disrespectful condescending tone of this tweet...that somehow im "smarter than this"! Here is a breaking bulletin. I'm 56 years old and have been in the TV business for 35 years. I know how the game is played. I don't need validation of my skills nor should anyone else. I have the utmost respect for people who live their convictions which is a very difficult thing to do. If you have concluded that climate change is a serious issue then I think you need to live your life and your convictions to the fullest. If you believe humans are destroying the planet then do everything in your power to change that. Reduce your carbon foot print as they say. Don't do all the things others do. Reduce your living space. Don't use a car. Don't fly. Don't burn firewood (omg!). Don't eat meat because cows produce methane. Don't have children because you will contribute to overpopulation which will stress the planet even more. I for one am beyond all this and am simply not interested in getting involved in the silliness of the political argument. You want to argue about changes in climate ..fine. Pull out the data and let us go at it. There are a number of forecasters and meteorologists I have known for years (and don't have a corporate agenda) who believe something has changed in the short term. But the discussion doesn't go beyond the data. Politicians will be the ones to take all of this information and find some way to screw it. Corporations will use this to drive earnings and profits. And in the end the poor schleps who want to sit at home and be left alone have to somehow work trough all this noise.

So here is the deal kids...come back to me 50 years from now and re examine the data and then we will see whether Miami is under water (im still waiting) or whether the new ice age has set in over New York keeping it under ice so that ice road truckers can use the Hudson River and avoid using the Thruway. Im will be long gone from this earth by then anyway. All I care about right now is starting up my fireplace again to heat my house, walk my dog, pre heat my fabulous double oven to make dinner and wait for the next run of the European.

I would also respectfully ask that NO ONE continue this argument because as i said earlier...im simply not interested

Old 02-26-2015, 10:30 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times
Quote:
Well written !!

By Joe Cioffi

winter2015
Nice article...thanks.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:04 AM

431 posts, read 446,792 times
Yeah, biggest concern was that it covered a few hidden icy spots...had to be careful in our parking lot.

Cam, do you think Sunday night is anything to worry about?

Old 02-26-2015, 11:24 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,571 times
Quote:
Well written !!

By Joe Cioffi

winter2015

You mean "Well put." Definitely not well written. People who claim to be professionals should have someone proofread their work if they want to speak with authority on something.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:53 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
People who claim to be professionals should have someone proofread their work if they want to speak with authority on something.
That is so true, I was so focused on the errors that I had to reread it to get the gist of the message. Then I got bored and gave up altogether.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:13 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,895,695 times
Quote:
Well written !!

By Joe Cioffi

winter2015
I like it and it mostly dovetails with my view on it and explains it better than I can, but my one concern is that it seems to suggest we should completely ignore it. I agree that its not likely we'll all be underwater in decades to come nor that we need to revert to "cavemen", but it doesn't mean that it isn't real and has to be dealt with in some way or another.

Going back to the topic at large, I saw this graphic on OKX's Facebook page. Islip "1st" ranking is not impressive because their record only goes back 30 years, but Central Park's "2nd" ranking with their long record is. BDR has the highest snow cover of the 6 "tri-state" stations, so I think more than the others it could jump a rank, wherever 2nd place is (I don't imagine Central Park will have 6+" of cover another 22 days to hit #1 there).

Old 02-26-2015, 03:10 PM

If Upton used 7, 8, 9, or 10" for BDR, it would show 2nd longest streak and the 10" still continues. But they chose to use 6" criteria to keep the graphic simple.

Too busy to check latest stuff. Sorry

Snow Starts Sunday evening, through the night and into the morning commute. Clears by Lunchtime Monday

Snow Tuesday evening changes to rain Wednesday morning

Cold continues but less intense with a moderation next week then another blast of cold in 10 days +/-?

Old 02-26-2015, 04:20 PM

IMO... If you have over 7" of snow outside, you will have snow on the ground till mid March. I don't think the "warmup" or rains will melt it all and its not like we'll be sunny everyday.

However, fog is the wild card and that typically eats the snow away faster then the sun.

I don't see many 40s in the pictures nor do I see many 30s. Latest GFS says only 2 days above freezing next 10 days. We'll see

Old 02-26-2015, 07:22 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Two years in a row with snow on the ground for my birthday - not cool considering I've spent other years at the beach celebrating (in warmth)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut