Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 09:37 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,109,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
From what I can tell based on NWS reports....we did quite nicely in the Tri-State area last night: Most areas in central and southern CT NEVER went below freezing and rain was the dominate precip type. There was a slight wet mix in the northern areas - that amounted to ZIP. The NW Hills appear to be the only area that had any true snow that stuck, though that is hard to verify this morning. NWS Bridgeport reported 0 (zero) snow
Good call, Wave...I awoke to clear ground in the Hartford area this morning, unlike what others had been predicting last night.

But I do think the cold air is definitely in place in the northern latitudes now, it's just a matter of when we get a chunk of it here in the Northeast. I just spent the week in the Twin Cities, and they were all abuzz about how below normal this weather is even for them...especially striking given the trend towards warmer winters of late.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:08 AM

856 posts, read 2,015,867 times
Looked out around 6 am and saw a coating on the lawn, looked again at 8 and noticed it was mostly gone. Eh, just enough to get us weather dorks excited.

Speaking of I was watching "frosty the snowman" last night (1963) and it said frosty was made of Christmas snow that was also the first snow, then in the show it gets too warm and he starts melting. Just kind of pushes the, lasting snow before Xmas is unlikely thing, you know if art really does imitate life. Maybe it's all this Christmas is supposed to have snow marketing that has us all yearning for a big storm. LOL...

Old 12-07-2013, 11:31 AM

83,529 posts, read 75,373,979 times
I tell ya, it's nice to take a deep breath and breath in some fresh air. unlike previous years where we were getting 50s in December. It hasn't gotten past 30s here today. Nice chill in the air with the wind. Another Arctic High Pressure helping this.

Current temps.

December 3rd last year. Nice not to have this type of pattern since October.

Attached Thumbnails
Weather in Connecticut-temps20.jpg  

Old 12-07-2013, 01:37 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,512,252 times
Cam- I am starting to feel your prediction is right. Cold and dry winter...

It is going to get very cold. High temps well below freezing Weds-Fri. Highs in the teens and 20's.

THEN FOR THE MID TO LATE WEEK PERIOD...MODEL INDICATING SEVERAL PIECES OF AN ARCTIC AIRMASS OVER CANADA SPILLING INTO THE NORTHERN US. CURRENTLY HAVE TRENDED TEMPS TO STAY BELOW FREEZING FROM WEDNESDAY THRU FRIDAY BASED ON ANOMALOUSLY COLD AIRMASS...WITH POTENTIAL FOR TEMPS TO STRUGGLE TO REACH THE UPPER TEEN/LOWER 20S FOR HIGHS LATE WEEK IF POLAR VORTEX DROPS INTO NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND/SE CANADA AS DEPICTED BY SOME MODEL GUIDANCE. STAY TUNED.

THE PERIOD WILL BE MARKED BY A STRONG ARCTIC HIGH PRES WHICH WILL BE MOVING OVER THE REGION. THIS WILL YIELD A PERIOD OF MAINLY DRY WX WITH TEMPERATURES WELL BELOW NORMAL FOR MID DECEMBER. SOME STRONG BLUSTERY NW WINDS /PARTICULARLY ON WED/ MAY MAKE IT FEEL QUITE COLD.

Last edited by Brian26; 12-07-2013 at 01:45 PM..

Old 12-07-2013, 02:36 PM

11,302 posts, read 18,899,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
We really can't complain....December is now running +3.6 F above normal at NWS Bridgeport (average high 50 F average low 35 F). Most of my grass is still green, though I live right on the coast, so that's likely not the case inland. It's nice to finally get a winter that doesn't set in early!. With all the cold and snow out west this is the kind of winter that makes me happy I live on the East Coast. If December continues snow and storm free, we only have two months to get through and then it's SPRING again.
I don't think that's a guarantee the month will be above normal. I may have been warm enough to statistically offset the coming cold, but there's a lot of historic stuff out west (how often does DALLAS get frozen precip this early in the season? And -40 even in places like Montana has (at least the last couple of warm decades) been rare even in late January, let alone early December). NWS is showing upper 20s for a high even in NYC on (I believe) Thursday, certainly rare this time of year, let alone the heart of winter a month and a half from now.

I'm not sure what to think about tomorrow night. Forecasts are trending to be somewhat wintrier for all, though doesn't look like a historic storm or anything. Last night, TV news showed 5am Monday it had turned to rain all the way up to I-84, but one this morning showed it still a mix in NYC and Long Island on 9am Monday. Until I saw what's going on in Texas of all places, I would think mostly rain and another bust like last night but not sure anymore.....

Old 12-07-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Cam- I am starting to feel your prediction is right. Cold and dry winter...
Yup, I thought about that last night. These Arctic Highs mean business. Cold and dry and drys up any precip.

Latest trends has done the same showing less precip that supposed to fall tomorrow. We'll see.

Basically cold air in place now, whats going to happen is we start as snow then the layer above us warms up but cold air gets trapped at the surface so we see ice, sleet, snow and rain again.

I put together the 3 local office snow total forecast. Boston hasn't made one yet. But Albany has everyone at 2-4". Upton even shows 2-4 for northern zones.

Unless something changes with the amount of moisture, I dont see this one as a big deal either.

I'll have to just watch the observations.

Albany Snow Forecast
Boston Snow Forecast
NY Snow Forecast

Attached Thumbnails
Weather in Connecticut-snow16.jpg  

Old 12-07-2013, 06:17 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,512,252 times
Going to get cold tonight..Even colder temps coming up.

LOWS IN/AROUND NYC WILL BE IN THE MID/UPPER 20S...WHICH IS ALMOST 10 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL. RADIATIONAL COOLING ACROSS THE INTERIOR WILL ALLOW FOR MUCH COLDER TEMPS AS LOWS DROP TO 15-20. OTHERWISE...LOWS WILL BE IN THE LOWER 20S MOST ELSEWHERE.

• uesday A slight chance of snow after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 35. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
  • Tuesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 18.
  • Wednesday Sunny, with a high near 26.
  • Wednesday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 12.
  • Thursday Mostly sunny, with a high near 23.
  • Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 15.
  • Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 30.
  • Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 9.
  • Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 28

Old 12-07-2013, 06:31 PM

442 posts, read 456,176 times
What little snow fell last night didn't melt off the yard or deck. The driveway snow melted though.

I'm looking forward to a little snowfall tomorrow night!

Old 12-07-2013, 07:06 PM

New NAM coming out showing snow entering CT at 7pm. Ice starts in Virginia at 7am Sunday, then the precip pushes northward right into us but we'll be starting as snow first.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:27 PM

NAM00z Hour 27 10pm Sunday.

850 temps and precip on left. Surface temps on right.

Let me explain this...

At 10pm the greens over us is precip, its snow because the blue line on the left is the freezing line at 4000 feet and its Still south of us. So its below freezing at 4000'.

Now look at the surface on the right.. Anyone below the blue line is above freezing but anyone above the blue line is below freezing and snowing at 10pm Sunday

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut