Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 09:21 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
With respect to your CT/Midwest scenario, how do you explain October 2011? Warm leading up to the event (40s and 50s) and heck I picked up 18 inches of snow despite temps above 36 degrees for the entire duration. The point is that it CAN happen.

I didn’t say it “couldn’t happen”…only that when the ground is warm(er) and a cold wave and snow advects over the surface…..“how cold’ that air is comes into play. A brutal cold wave of 10 F can chill surface far quicker than a 25 F cold wave.

Also, not all areas of CT had snow in October 2011....I got ZERO.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
"fresh" arctic air?? It moderates as it moves south and moderates is all relative. Winnipeg's arctic air has been moderated compared to yellowknife.

LOL.....Why are you comparing MD to MINNESOTA. It's completely ridiculous. Why do you look at the lattitude of maryland or ct compared to minnesota!!?? Minneapolis has about the same lattitude as montreal. Duluth has near the same lattitude as caribou, maine or quebec city.

Not sure what your question is?

“Fresh arctic air” in the USA refers to where is the coldest with the lowest dew points. In the USA, very cold/very dry air normally enters west of the Great Lakes through North Dakoata. It normally heads east/southeast and moderates as it does so (less if there is no snowcover, less if there is snowcover). Yes, it is all relative to geography…but it also is very relative to what area sees snow/cold and what areas see less.

Everyone knows Maryland or Connecticut is south of Minnesota –lol. The point was how cold air moderates as it moves in a West to East trajectory.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
The ocean comes into play too......Seattle is slightly further north than Duluth but in winter is warmer than us (mainly because it's an ocean to the west instead of to the east).
Quite right. Not only does the ocean help keep the margins of the mainland warmer, but the cold air ENTERS the USA through the Upper Mid West.

The interior of the USA is BY FAR the coldest area of the mainland. Areas the FARTHEST away from all three coasts (Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf) annually have the coldest winter minimums on the USA mainland. Even the garden zone maps are shaped like a wide U with the coldest annual lows near the middle and the warmest at the margins. The NYC/NJ/CT area near 40/41 north has higher winter minimums than Nebraska at the same latitude. Coastal CT/Long Island has winter lows in the same ball park as parts of Texas and New Mexico:

Quote:
Pacific coast is totally different. They have mountains blocking cold air. The atlantic ocean has an effect when you are very near it.(ie southeastern ct). By the time you get to nw ct much of the influence is gone. That being said he was talking about the whole east coast and comparing md to mn.
That is untrue, NW CT is still warmer than areas at the same latitude in the Upper Midwest. Also, the Mts don't; always "block the cold air"...they have a hard freeze tonight coming through the West right down to the coast of Central Califorina.

No I was not talking about the "whole East Coast"....again my point was how the cold air moderates as it heads East/southeast.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 12-05-2013 at 09:43 AM..

Old 12-05-2013, 09:42 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Please stop the arguing or infractions will be issued.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:00 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,395,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Not sure what your question is?

Everyone knows Maryland or Connecticut is south of Minnesota –lol. The point was how cold air moderates as it moves in a West to East trajectory.
Yes but that's not a simple west to east trajectory. That's a north of south trajectory of hundred's of miles! Compare chicago to albany, ny. Yes the ocean has an effect obviously, but you were grossly exaggerating it. Also, that map doesn't take into account elevation at all. NW ct is nearly as cold as it's counterparts in the midwest athe same lattitude and of course get's MUCH MORE snow(outside of lake effect area's). NW ct at high elevation gets nearly double the average snowfall of minneapolis for example. The continental climate in the midwest can account for more extreme departures from normal obviously.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:29 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Between busy work schedule and bad connection with phone I haven't checkjed much updates.

Just get read to see the snow fall. Maybe while you sleep. Hopefully with little or no ice. Love this time of year and especially if a storm is not crippling like we have gotten recently, we have to appreciate the snow falling this time of year.

Ignore feature works great guys. Try it out. Its like they aren't even here.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:50 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixum View Post
Ryan Hanrahan of nbc and Wavehunter could be the same person. They both hate cold and snowy weather. Ryan loves to makes storms non events. Its really annoying.
FYI- Ryan Hanrahan is an avid skiier...he certainly doesn't hate the snow, at least in real life. I have no idea about his TV persona. If you are equating "hate" to not hyping the hell out of a storm, a la Gil Simmons, then I suppose you're right.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Yes but that's not a simple west to east trajectory. That's a north of south trajectory of hundred's of miles! Compare chicago to albany, ny. Yes the ocean has an effect obviously, but you were grossly exaggerating it. Also, that map doesn't take into account elevation at all. NW ct is nearly as cold as it's counterparts in the midwest athe same lattitude and of course get's MUCH MORE snow(outside of lake effect area's). NW ct at high elevation gets nearly double the average snowfall of minneapolis for example. The continental climate in the midwest can account for more extreme departures from normal obviously.

I think you getting a bit too wrapped up in precise north/south lines of latitude. Yes, there is a north to south trajectory of a few hundred miles, but I was looking at the bigger picture: The point was that as bitter cold air masses enter the USA in the West–Central states - they moderate as the move east/southeast. It’s a climatic fact that is well known from what I understand.

Here is a map of basic map of air masses source regions in North America and their basic trajectory. It’s obvious that the interior Western states/upper Midwest is closer to the cold source regions than the East Coast :

As far as the ocean and it’s effect… I didn’t “grossly exaggerating it”. I only said that it has an effect on how cold it gets, how often it gets cold, and how long the cold lasts between the interior upper Western/Midwest states and the East Coast. Take a look at the record cold temps in each state; you’ll notice that the TOP coldest values are all in the interior Western States. North Dakota, Wyoming, Minnesota, Utah…etc have all record lows between – 58 and – 70 F below zero. The record low in CT is only -32 F (back in 1943).

Old 12-05-2013, 02:07 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,557 times
Is it possible to just talk about the upcoming weeks weather. I honestly do not care about how this jet stream effects this or how the ocean effects that.

Most of us read this thread to see what's coming without having to deal with the hype of the television media.

Back to the weather i say let it snow , let it snow , let it snow.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:33 PM

56 posts, read 172,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Between busy work schedule and bad connection with phone I haven't checkjed much updates.

Just get read to see the snow fall. Maybe while you sleep. Hopefully with little or no ice. Love this time of year and especially if a storm is not crippling like we have gotten recently, we have to appreciate the snow falling this time of year.

Ignore feature works great guys. Try it out. Its like they aren't even here.
_______

Cambium

what is the latest you are seeing on the storm coming through Sunday night into Monday morning. Some are saying we could see significant ice in CT?? Any thoughts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut