Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2012, 08:37 AM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times

Advertisements

Hoping for some of that rapid warming up here today, so that I can leave work early and squeeze in some biking. Not a lot of days left!

Old 10-18-2012, 09:41 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
Hoping for some of that rapid warming up here today, so that I can leave work early and squeeze in some biking. Not a lot of days left!
It's already into the 60s before lunchtime. I dont see major cold spells for another 2 weeks. Still thinking 70s next week for a day at least.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:25 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
How cool is this??????? From Upton. Check out the increase in temp within 26 seconds of the Balloon rising.

"Are you familiar with a temperature inversion? A temperature inversion is when there is an increase in temperature with height. Typically, the temperature decreases with height in the troposphere (layer of the atmosphere where the majority of weather occurs). This morning, we observed a distinct surface temperature inversion during our balloon launch. With clear sky conditions, light winds, and ... relatively dry air, the temperature dropped to near 34 degrees at ground level. Once the balloon was released, the temperature increased rapidly to near 56 degrees only 385 ft above the launch site! This is also an indication to us that our temperatures will warm rapidly this morning as daytime heating continues!"

I've seen that happen countless times just after takeoff when glancing at my outside air temperature (OAT) guage, especially at night and in the early morning of course! Pretty cool!

Old 10-18-2012, 11:34 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times
Hey Cambium,

Speaking of flying, just 14 more days until I'll be flying from here all the way to the Bahamas again (soooo freaking excited)!! Now that the GFS is within range, what are you seeing long term in terms of temperature departures as well as the 850 mb flow, both here and down in paradise??

Just want a general idea of the amplitude of the jet as well as model consistancy (If thats even possible at 300+ hrs out!) in where the troughs and ridges will likely set up then.

A good friend of mine (who once in a blue moon posts here) is telling me that 14 days out I should be looking at the 11 day GFS as he told me that that model tends to get ahead of itself in the LR.

Do you concur with this? Thanks as always and keep the posts coming!

Old 10-18-2012, 03:01 PM

Did anyone catch the fact that Upton hit 34 degrees this morning???? What was that all about. Caught me by surprise!

And NYC didnt go below 50! And Bridgeport didnt go below 45!

National Weather Service Text Product Display

Old 10-18-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
A good friend of mine (who once in a blue moon posts here) is telling me that 14 days out I should be looking at the 11 day GFS as he told me that that model tends to get ahead of itself in the LR.

Do you concur with this? Thanks as always and keep the posts coming!
Not what I usually come across, when you're that far out you have to look at the pattern and not the date. Sometimes GFS has it within 2 days, sometimes it disappears. But to look at the 11th day to figure out what happens on the 14th Im not so sure about. Right off the bat that is implying the model is too slow with things but its not the case all the time. For instance, this storm tomorrow for a week had it clearing out faster than any other model which meant it was too quick with the pattern. So essentially that theory would work the other way... Use Day 17 to see what Day 14 would bring. The trick for long term is to look at the pattern then figure out the day as it gets closer. Consistancy is also key on what day it shows something.

Euro12z showing a Ridge in 2 weeks. That means it says we stay warm for another 2 weeks.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:35 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Did anyone catch the fact that Upton hit 34 degrees this morning???? What was that all about. Caught me by surprise!

And NYC didnt go below 50! And Bridgeport didnt go below 45!

National Weather Service Text Product Display
For some reason that part of the tri-state is "Newark in reverse", I've always noticed that they and nearby Westhampton Beach (which was 36 deg) shows unusually low temperatures on "radiational cooling" nights. I never understood it, as it's not really inland and not high in elevation nor a deeply cut valley (where cold air would sink). I remember one day either last winter or the winter before where Upton and Westhampton Beach were a couple of degrees below zero and I think no one else except the far northern/inland areas were even under 10 degrees above!

Thoughts are welcome......

Old 10-19-2012, 05:09 AM

Give yourself time today to travel. Flow moving South to North will give us those heavy downpours at times. Should clear by tomorrow morning.

Chance of Thunder today too.

In regards to the heat next week, looks like models backing off a bit now but GFS still has 70s next Friday.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:52 AM

754 posts, read 1,018,155 times
this humidity is awful..... feels like summer again

Old 10-19-2012, 10:02 AM

I was going to say Im not impressed with this rain today then I saw whats in NJ heading here. Heavy rains should enter CT in a couple hours.

This is actually moving South to North so Fairfield and Litchfield will feel it first then as more moisture gets involved the entire state should get it.

Edit: Dewpoints are in the low to mid 60s. very Tropical with a cool twist. lol

Last edited by Cambium; 10-19-2012 at 10:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut