Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2012, 04:35 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
FYI - Enjoy this cool weekend because I dont like the new pattern for next couple weeks.

I dont see any major cold shots until after the 25th. But we do have some storms coming up. Tuesday some rain then Saturday a bigger storm.

There might be a Hurricane moving North parallel to the coast but WAY out in the Atlantic. Nothing to worry about.

In fact... that might contribute to a continued Negative NAO and future cold shots into the NorthEast.

Enjoy the perfect fall weekend. 50s for high, Blue Skies, light wind, and color on the trees.
I hope its not on Sat! I have an all day SCUBA class that day so I won't be able to fly at all. Fingers crossed the instrument weather conditions arrive sunday instead

Old 10-13-2012, 05:20 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Default Departure from normal in Connecticut October 13, 2012

Last post regarding todays temps, then moving on. Today will knock the monthly average below zero. Are we all having a party for it? LOL .. Too bad its not the end of the month.

But take a look at how far off the normals we were today.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I was going to post all the record lows but Cambium beat me to it.

Wavehunter, Central Park got down to 38. Their record low for the date was 34 in 1875. Hard to get record lows in CPK anymore, with their long record they have a ton of them from the 1800s, far more than you'd expect by "chance". In fact the last time a record low was even TIED there was 1-deg on Jan. 16, 2004 (the last subzero temperature occurred in Jan. 1994.....if there are no subzeros in CPK this winter it will break the record for longest stretch with none at 19 years.....the Park went from 1943 to 1961 without going subzero). And the last time one was outright "broken" was 57 degrees on Aug. 7, 1994!

Not sure if it's "global warming", "urban heat island" effect (i.e more of it than 100+ years ago) or a little of both....

I wouldn't be surprised if the 38 was the lowest post-1900 temp for the date though.
Great post... It is hard to get record lows there now so anything close is pretty substantial. There is no question in my mind stations like those are pointless to look at now a days. It's such ashame we live in an era of information and technology yet we cant get accurate data from locations like that. Unless we build concrete around every station, those areas should'nt count for global or local temps.

I've actually told myself a few times to give up on looking at data because of this reason. Same goes for Hartford compared to BDL.

Can someone do me a favor? If you come across a story on a study that was done reagrding temps in areas that are built up with buildings, population, and less trees...please PM me or post here.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:39 AM

Enjoy the warmth. Maybe a localized 70 hit. Nothing near recording breaking. Should be 60s all week. Thursday night the coolest night dipping down to 30s/40s again at night but then warming up quick.

More importantly is this...

ANOTHER STORM SYSTEM DIVES INTO THE NORTHERN PLAINS FROM WESTERN
CANADA BY THE MIDDLE OF THE WEEK. THIS SYSTEM DEVELOPS INTO A
LARGE CUTOFF LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM AND TRACKS SLOWLY TO THE EAST
THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF THE WEEK. GFS IS AGAIN THE OUTLIER WITH
THIS AND IS THE MOST PROGRESSIVE OF THE PACK. HAVE STAYED CLOSE TO
THE EC/UKMET SOLNS WITH OVERRUNNING RAIN POSSIBLY MOVING INTO THE
AREA AS EARLY AS FRIDAY. DUE TO THE SLOW NATURE OF THIS SYSTEM...A
SIGNIFICANT RAINFALL IS POSSIBLE NEXT WEEKEND

Old 10-14-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I was going to post all the record lows but Cambium beat me to it.

Wavehunter, Central Park got down to 38. Their record low for the date was 34 in 1875. Hard to get record lows in CPK anymore, with their long record they have a ton of them from the 1800s, far more than you'd expect by "chance". In fact the last time a record low was even TIED there was 1-deg on Jan. 16, 2004 (the last subzero temperature occurred in Jan. 1994.....if there are no subzeros in CPK this winter it will break the record for longest stretch with none at 19 years.....the Park went from 1943 to 1961 without going subzero). And the last time one was outright "broken" was 57 degrees on Aug. 7, 1994!

Not sure if it's "global warming", "urban heat island" effect (i.e more of it than 100+ years ago) or a little of both....

I wouldn't be surprised if the 38 was the lowest post-1900 temp for the date though.
Hey... you're good with stats and data... Take a look at what an NWS emplyee said regarding a temp spike that I caught.

I understand about quality control but something doesnt sit well with me when they come up with a scientific "guess" at what the high was there.

I wonder if that spike in CT in June got fixed too.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...re-spikes.html

Old 10-14-2012, 10:25 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,847 times
Quote:
Enjoy the warmth. Maybe a localized 70 hit. Nothing near recording breaking. Should be 60s all week. Thursday night the coolest night dipping down to 30s/40s again at night but then warming up quick.

More importantly is this...

ANOTHER STORM SYSTEM DIVES INTO THE NORTHERN PLAINS FROM WESTERN
CANADA BY THE MIDDLE OF THE WEEK. THIS SYSTEM DEVELOPS INTO A
LARGE CUTOFF LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM AND TRACKS SLOWLY TO THE EAST
THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF THE WEEK. GFS IS AGAIN THE OUTLIER WITH
THIS AND IS THE MOST PROGRESSIVE OF THE PACK. HAVE STAYED CLOSE TO
THE EC/UKMET SOLNS WITH OVERRUNNING RAIN POSSIBLY MOVING INTO THE
AREA AS EARLY AS FRIDAY. DUE TO THE SLOW NATURE OF THIS SYSTEM...A
SIGNIFICANT RAINFALL IS POSSIBLE NEXT WEEKEND

I'm ok with the rain, as long as we don't get another snow event where all those climbs fall and cause havoc like last End of October storm

Old 10-14-2012, 10:28 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Hey... you're good with stats and data... Take a look at what an NWS emplyee said regarding a temp spike that I caught.

I understand about quality control but something doesnt sit well with me when they come up with a scientific "guess" at what the high was there.

I wonder if that spike in CT in June got fixed too.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...re-spikes.html
Very interesting. All I know about it is that I remember a couple of cases where it happened in one of the metro-area stations and they did correct it a day or two later. Though I've read that some still consider the 108-deg at Newark a couple of years ago to be suspect (next warmest temperature anywhere within a few hundred miles was 104.......I question Newark in general anyway as their summer temperatures are warmer than the rest of the tri-state and they weren't before the 80s).

I also know that sometime last year the automated weather station at Central Park went down for 2 days and they used the LaGuardia numbers for that station those days to keep the record "continuous".

Old 10-14-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
. Thursday night the coolest night dipping down to 30s/40s again at night but then warming up quick.
I apologize. Tuesday night is the coolest night, not Thursday. Sorry.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Very interesting. All I know about it is that I remember a couple of cases where it happened in one of the metro-area stations and they did correct it a day or two later. Though I've read that some still consider the 108-deg at Newark a couple of years ago to be suspect (next warmest temperature anywhere within a few hundred miles was 104.......I question Newark in general anyway as their summer temperatures are warmer than the rest of the tri-state and they weren't before the 80s).

I also know that sometime last year the automated weather station at Central Park went down for 2 days and they used the LaGuardia numbers for that station those days to keep the record "continuous".
I will look into those spikes and missing data and post in that thread. Thanks!
Edit: Just found this post. Will have to find time to read it. https://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...ot-summer.html

Last edited by Cambium; 10-14-2012 at 02:59 PM..

Old 10-14-2012, 05:24 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
I checked the GFS model today and it looks like more of a zonal Pacific blowtorch for most of the US for the rest of the month. Not much in the way of below average temperatures at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut