Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 04:50 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Cam- Moved into a new house in Branford. I can't wait untill winter to light the recently installed wood stove. I want the cold temps now.. LOL
Is that what you installed? That is sweet! Yeah, the feeling doesnt get old of siting there lighting the fire, listening to it, watching the flames, and feeling cozy knowing your making yourself rich not the heating companies.

The other awesome thing I like is just bringing the firewood in or closer to the house in the fall.
Nice investment you did, Enjoy!

First time I lit mine last year was October 8th. In 2012 was October 26th.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:38 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
With all the talk about the humidity and summer rain, I saw this several years ago and saved it. I have always been interested in monsoons and how/if we in the USA are impacted. I thought it was interesting as to why some summers are warm and dry and others are wet/humid:

A rainy summer on the East Coast or just the faint roar of the summer monsoon?

I am always asked many questions about the weather or regional climate. Once again, when a wet and humid pattern develops over the local area in the hot months …I’m repeatedly asked “Why has it been so rainy this summer”? Newly arrived residents will often ask is it “normal” to have so much rainfall in summer here?

This is a tough question to answer. The long-term data (which is not so long term), will say it has been wetter than normal summer up and down the East Coast this year. However, the real truth is our rainfall patterns in the Eastern United States from the Gulf coast eastward and south of Boston are not “normal”. …on average. What should be a strong monsoonal climate in terms of where it is geographically located – turns out to be a climate that shows only occasional “ normal” rainfall patterns.

Let me explain:

In terms of precipitation, the eastern United States is climatically exceptional on average. The anomaly is… that from about 90 W (east of the Mississippi River) to south of 43 N (south of around Boston), situated on a large continent, and in the lower middle latitudes…warm season precipitation (May through mid October), is only slightly greater than cold season precipitation (November through early April) on average. This is quite strange - since it is well known that there is a tendency for monsoon circulation’s to develop on the eastern sides of large continents like Asia, South America,…etc (monsoon = seasonal reversal of winds and distinct seasonal precipitation pattern). In many parts of the world located at similar latitudes and in similar geographic positions as the East Coast of the USA the cold months are dry (northerly winds, dry/stable air masses, cold high pressure) and the hot months are wet (southerly winds, humid/unstable air masses). In China, Korea, and Japan, which are located at approximately the same latitude as the Eastern United States (about 33 to 43 N latitude)… this is exactly the case. The famous East Asian summer monsoon surge is well known.

In the Eastern United States the pattern of precipitation on average has a much weaker monsoonal character…on average. One of the theories as to why this has to do with the smaller size of the North American continent, a meridionally oriented mountain system, and (in winter at least) more numerous mid-latitude storms. Each of these factors tend to often disrupt the normal monsoonal pattern (dry winters…wet summers) to precipitation that would normally develop at this latitude on the eastern side of continent. True, there is definitely a stronger monsoonal pattern to precipitation the further south one goes along the Atlantic coast; From Charleston, SC southward 70% of the total annual precipitation falls in the 6 warmest months, and by the time you reach northern Florida, winters become quite dry. However, for much the rest of the region summers tend to have only slightly more precipitation than winters. In fact, once one reaches Boston or so, the six coolest months actually have more precipitation than the six warmest months.

Yet there are some years when the precipitation pattern on the East Coast actually acts “normal”:

The last such year when a semi monsoonal precipitation pattern was noted across the eastern United States was spring - winter 2004. May/June 2004 where dry with westerly/northerly winds… then in late June, the southerly monsoon flow suddenly strengthened, and southerly winds brought an almost non-stop warm/humid and unstable air flow in from the tropical Atlantic ocean: From early July to late September rainfall surged across the Atlantic states making summer 2004 “hot and wet across the far eastern United States. In less than 90 days…most stations east of the Mississippi and south of Massachusetts, reported 17 to 24 –inches of rain. The NWS stations in Bridgeport recorded 17.7 inches of precipitation in less than 3 months! Stations like Newark, NJ and Baltimore, MD received even more – up to 24-inches of rain… rivaling the heavy summer monsoon rains in places like Pusan, Osaka, or Tokyo. Then in mid October, a dry westerly/northerly flow took over quickly- and rainfall fell greatly for the remaining portion of October, November and December. NWS Bridgeport reported just 6.89 inches of precipitation in all of October, November, and December as cool and dry weather dominated. The East Coast monsoon showed its face a little that year.

So the next time an unusually wet and humid summer comes to your favorite port city on the East Coast, remember that the weather pattern might actually be trying to act more “normal”. Equally important, remember than rainfall and humidity will always be part of the summer climate in regions located on the east side of continents in the middle and lower latitudes. Indeed, it would be “abnormal” for anywhere south of Boston and east of the Mississippi to have a “dry” flow throughout the summer season. The geographic position and latitude of most of the East Coast assures us that every once in while a “normal “ rainfall pattern will appear and residents along the East Coast will hear the same sound as those in East Asia - the silent roar of the summer monsoon.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 06-30-2013 at 06:46 AM..

Old 06-30-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
So the next time an unusually wet and humid summer comes to your favorite port city on the East Coast, remember that the weather pattern might actually be trying to act more “normal”. Equally important, remember than rainfall and humidity will always be part of the summer climate in regions located on the east side of continents in the middle and lower latitudes. Indeed, it would be “abnormal” for anywhere south of Boston and east of the Mississippi to have a “dry” flow throughout the summer season. The geographic position and latitude of most of the East Coast assures us that every once in while a “normal “ rainfall pattern will appear and residents along the East Coast will hear the same sound as those in East Asia - the silent roar of the summer monsoon.
That is interesting and very believeable actually. Deep down inside I kinda felt like this was "normal", mostly because it's something I've been complaining about almost every summer since the 80s. I remember less summers of weather enjoyment and more complaints from me because of the moist muggy air. So that itself should of told me this is pretty normal for us here. Even just recent memorys there's rarely times dewpoints stay in the 50s around here in the summer for days on end.

However, curious about the setup itself. Having normal tropical feel doesnt mean the setups are all the same each summer and that there's no end in sight to the chances of rain/clouds. Question is, when was the last time we had this stuck pattern in the summer?

Or maybe an easier question is: Is this normal tropical feel "because" of this Bermuda High Ohio Trough setup?

Old 06-30-2013, 07:13 AM

Rain total forecast to Tuesday morning

National Weather Service Forecast Office - Upton, NY

Old 06-30-2013, 07:18 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

First time I lit mine last year was October 8th. In 2012 was October 26th.
Uh, wasn't last year 2012? I think there's a typo somewhere.....

Quote:
With all the talk about the humidity and summer rain, I saw this several years ago and saved it. I have always been interested in monsoons and how/if we in the USA are impacted. I thought it was interesting as to why some summers are warm and dry and others are wet/humid:

I am always asked many questions about the weather or regional climate. Once again, when a wet and humid pattern develops over the local area in the hot months …I’m repeatedly asked “Why has it been so rainy this summer”? Newly arrived residents will often ask is it “normal” to have so much rainfall in summer here?

This is a tough question to answer. The long-term data (which is not so long term), will say it has been wetter than normal summer up and down the East Coast this year. However, the real truth is our rainfall patterns in the Eastern United States from the Gulf coast eastward and south of Boston are not “normal”. …on average. What should be a strong monsoonal climate in terms of where it is geographically located – turns out to be a climate that shows only occasional “ normal” rainfall patterns.

Let me explain:

In terms of precipitation, the eastern United States is climatically exceptional on average. The anomaly is… that from about 90 W (east of the Mississippi River) to south of 43 N (south of around Boston), situated on a large continent, and in the lower middle latitudes…warm season precipitation (May through mid October), is only slightly greater than cold season precipitation (November through early April) on average. This is quite strange - since it is well known that there is a tendency for monsoon circulation’s to develop on the eastern sides of large continents like Asia, South America,…etc (monsoon = seasonal reversal of winds and distinct seasonal precipitation pattern). In many parts of the world located at similar latitudes and in similar geographic positions as the East Coast of the USA the cold months are dry (northerly winds, dry/stable air masses, cold high pressure) and the hot months are wet (southerly winds, humid/unstable air masses). In China, Korea, and Japan, which are located at approximately the same latitude as the Eastern United States (about 33 to 43 N latitude)… this is exactly the case. The famous East Asian summer monsoon surge is well known.

In the Eastern United States the pattern of precipitation on average has a much weaker monsoonal character…on average. One of the theories as to why this has to do with the smaller size of the North American continent, a meridionally oriented mountain system, and (in winter at least) more numerous mid-latitude storms. Each of these factors tend to often disrupt the normal monsoonal pattern (dry winters…wet summers) to precipitation that would normally develop at this latitude on the eastern side of continent. True, there is definitely a stronger monsoonal pattern to precipitation the further south one goes along the Atlantic coast; From Charleston, SC southward 70% of the total annual precipitation falls in the 6 warmest months, and by the time you reach northern Florida, winters become quite dry. However, for much the rest of the region summers tend to have only slightly more precipitation than winters. In fact, once one reaches Boston or so, the six coolest months actually have more precipitation than the six warmest months.

Yet there are some years when the precipitation pattern on the East Coast actually acts “normal”:

The last such year when a semi monsoonal precipitation pattern was noted across the eastern United States was spring - winter 2004. May/June 2004 where dry with westerly/northerly winds… then in late June, the southerly monsoon flow suddenly strengthened, and southerly winds brought an almost non-stop warm/humid and unstable air flow in from the tropical Atlantic ocean: From early July to late September rainfall surged across the Atlantic states making summer 2004 “hot and wet across the far eastern United States. In less than 90 days…most stations east of the Mississippi and south of Massachusetts, reported 17 to 24 –inches of rain. The NWS stations in Bridgeport recorded 17.7 inches of precipitation in less than 3 months! Stations like Newark, NJ and Baltimore, MD received even more – up to 24-inches of rain… rivaling the heavy summer monsoon rains in places like Pusan, Osaka, or Tokyo. Then in mid October, a dry westerly/northerly flow took over quickly- and rainfall fell greatly for the remaining portion of October, November and December. NWS Bridgeport reported just 6.89 inches of precipitation in all of October, November, and December as cool and dry weather dominated. The East Coast monsoon showed its face a little that year.

I still think this is a bit "amplified" compared to usual. It certainly is normal for many days to be very humid and have thunderstorms, but "dry" less humid days fall into the mix as well. What you're describing I've seen more in the summers I sometimes spent in Florida with relatives as a kid; almost every day guaranteed a short thunderstorm, and it was always very humid. Of course, I think the forecasters have exaggerated it a bit and the last week or so may have been closer to what would be "normal" for this time of year than we think; it hasn't really been 90+ degrees, and most places have not had constant thunderstorms; where I am the only one in the last week was on Thursday night and yesterday actually turned out pretty delightful and late in the day didn't seem that humid either, there was a nice breeze.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Uh, wasn't last year 2012? I think there's a typo somewhere......
LMAO! Yes.. October 8, 2012. October 26, 2011.

Quote:
I still think this is a bit "amplified" compared to usual. It certainly is normal for many days to be very humid and have thunderstorms, but "dry" less humid days fall into the mix as well. .
Exactly. Thats why I asked that last question, glad you picked that up.

This pattern is a 'winter like' pattern. It's Not something you see in the summer. Meaning these troughs dont dig like that in the summer. So while dewpoints & humidity are generally high around here this setup is not normal and like you said we "typically" do have a couple breaks in between! Even like once or twice a week at least. We might go 2 straight weeks like this.

Stuck Pattern = Humidity & Rain East Coast - YouTube

Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
The geographic position and latitude of most of the East Coast assures us that every once in while a “normal “ rainfall pattern will appear and residents along the East Coast will hear the same sound as those in East Asia - the silent roar of the summer monsoon.
Not sure this is quite the same phenomenon as what you see in Asia. The monsoon rains in India tend to be heavy showers, not diurnal thunderstorms. Having spent part of my childhood there, I don't remember thunder/lightning. There is also a huge orographical lift component, as the moisture is transported upward over the Western Ghat mountains & Deccan plateau and squeezed out.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:20 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:

Let me explain:

Good points..it would be MORE abnormal to have a dry hot pattern than a humid wet pattern.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:39 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Good points..it would be MORE abnormal to have a dry hot pattern than a humid wet pattern.
I always wondered what humidity the "heat index" assumes. Like I saw yesterday it showed a (of course, it's a desert!) 4% humidity for Death Valley at 124-deg so the Heat Index was 103. So that's 103 at what humidity? I'm guessing 40 or 50%. Does that mean it was like 103 here (i.e. still very hot)? Or is it such a "dry heat" that it's more like 90 here? Now many years ago I was in Las Vegas when it was 112 with a 9% humidity and to me it felt like 90-95 here.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I always wondered what humidity the "heat index" assumes. Like I saw yesterday it showed a (of course, it's a desert!) 4% humidity for Death Valley at 124-deg so the Heat Index was 103. So that's 103 at what humidity? I'm guessing 40 or 50%. Does that mean it was like 103 here (i.e. still very hot)? Or is it such a "dry heat" that it's more like 90 here? Now many years ago I was in Las Vegas when it was 112 with a 9% humidity and to me it felt like 90-95 here.
Humidity is slowly becoming non existant. Dewpoints are so much better measure of water in the air and real feel. But to answer your question, yeah, it was pretty much around 4% yesterday afternoon. !

National Weather Service - NWS Las Vegas

Oh...BTW.. Need to use my power washer now because mold and mildew are growing fast on the house. Disgusting weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut