Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 05:17 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

http://southernnewenglandwx.blogspot....html?spref=tw

Old 03-17-2013, 07:58 PM

Windsor Locks, CT March Temp comparison to last year.. I think the lows are more interesting even though they havent been extremely below normal. Anything else you see?

Old 03-17-2013, 08:31 PM

442 posts, read 455,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
Can't even see my lawn. Here are pics of my front yard and back yard taken on 3/13! Amazing difference to your yard.

Speaking of which, it has just started flurrying here. What's the forecast regarding snow this weekend?
Here is the front yard at a house less than one and a half miles away. We still have the same snow pack. Here is practically nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
New Connecticut Weather Thread-2013-03-17-12.46.41.jpg  

Old 03-17-2013, 09:57 PM

Great time to look at vertical profiles in this storm setup we have tomorrow since a warm layer is getting involved.

This is Tuesday 2pm timeframe for arounf Hartford area. Notice there is a portion of the lines(temps/dewpoint) that goes above freezing. (diagnol white line)

Question is, is the warm layer enough to melt everything? Here it is not. It's just a small layer of melting, so this would be sleet falling at this hour. So basically its snowing from way up above, hits this small warm layer above freezing, partial snow melts, then as it falls it enters below freezing layer again and refreezes into pellets on the way down to surface.

Sleet also causes evap cooling so a change back and forth to snow is possible as it keeps the column cool. Fascinating.
Soundings from ESRL/GSD

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024$sx768$s and weights 851$sKB.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:30 AM

Default March 18, 2013 Morning Temps

Teens have made it into CT this morning. 22 right now here near the coast. Wind chill is 18 degrees with wind from the North.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:40 AM

Upgraded to Warnings in CT

Fairfield
HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 6
INCHES
...ALONG WITH A TENTH TO A QUARTER OF AN INCH OF ICE.

-----------------------
Litchfield
* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 8 INCHES...ALONG WITH
UP TO ONE QUARTER OF AN INCH OF ICE.

* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATES...AROUND ONE INCH PER HOUR TONIGHT
INTO EARLY TUESDAY MORNING.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:57 AM

Latest GFS has another snowstorm next week. Euro a bit OTS more. Here's how the snow totals look from the GFS

Old 03-18-2013, 05:40 AM

March or January?

Old 03-18-2013, 06:05 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
I think at the top of every page ending in 1 (281, 291, 301, etc) you should have a post that defines the terms you use.

What -is- a "euro?" I thought it was a coin denomination, but you keep using it here. Euro model? A european model? So the europeans are looking at the weather in North America and we're getting our forecasts from them? I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff, but that's what comes to mind, whenever I see you use that term.

What do those swirly charts mean? What are we looking at, and what are we looking for? What is a GFS? What is an OFS?

And lastly, when you use those charts and graphics, it'd be helpful to us ignoramusii for a brief summary of what you're showing us, at the bottom. Such as:

Quote:
<graphic>

Hartford is around 2 inches right of the center of this graphic. The wavy lines close together just slightly upward of Hartford, shows that snow will likely start in Springfield. The direction of those waves indicates that the storm will move southwesterly. While the easternmost portion of CT will be spared the worst of it, the rich people in Greenwich will have to beg their less-affluent neighbors in Bridgeport for a spot on their floor for a few days.
Something like that would be infinitely more helpful to us folks who just are -not- good at interpreting visuals but can handle text descriptions great.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I think at the top of every page ending in 1 (281, 291, 301, etc) you should have a post that defines the terms you use.

What -is- a "euro?" I thought it was a coin denomination, but you keep using it here. Euro model? A european model? So the europeans are looking at the weather in North America and we're getting our forecasts from them? I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff, but that's what comes to mind, whenever I see you use that term.

What do those swirly charts mean? What are we looking at, and what are we looking for? What is a GFS? What is an OFS?

And lastly, when you use those charts and graphics, it'd be helpful to us ignoramusii for a brief summary of what you're showing us, at the bottom. Such as:

Something like that would be infinitely more helpful to us folks who just are -not- good at interpreting visuals but can handle text descriptions great.
LOL.."Swirly".. Im actually not sure which map your talking about for that. Can you explain that better?

Short Answers to your questions:

Euro = Just like America has their own Satellites and weather data, Europe does as well and all the data gets fed into a computer system providing results for the future which is a forecast for the entire world.

GFS = American model which also provides future results for the entire world at a lower resolution than the Euro.

OTS = Out to sea(not close to our land)

Swirly Graphic... Hmmm, if its the left image I posted next to the colorful one, that is showing the surface map. Simple terms... Tighter circles = bigger stronger storm. Notice its right off the coast near us and the blues on the swirly map means heavy precipitation which would be snow in that senario.

The other maps are pretty simple.. Temps and how much snow to fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut