Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 05:58 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,836 times

Advertisements

So Camb, when do you think we will have the NAO consistently positive again with at or above normal temps??

Is the PNA positive as well? Don't know where to find that? Thanks

Old 03-17-2013, 06:16 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
So Camb, when do you think we will have the NAO consistently positive again with at or above normal temps??

Is the PNA positive as well? Don't know where to find that? Thanks
If it wasnt for the NAO technically being positive (+.07) in December, we would have been in the Top 3 longest stretches of negative NAO.

Whats funny is... I remember saying averages are just that, they balance themselves out so if we had alllll those months and days above normal, "what if" we have allllll the same amount of days below normal... Maybe thats the trend we're in? Who knows.

But the NAO cant always stay negative, blocking near Greenland breaks down eventually but to stay constantly positive, who knows.

Here's where you can find the forecasts.

NAO-PNA forecasts: http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/forecas...compare.pn.png
NAO-PNA actual and past: Climate Prediction Center - Teleconnections: North Atlantic Oscillation

Old 03-17-2013, 06:20 AM

Temps this morning.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:12 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

I just cant believe I'm putting out snow maps mid March still. lol We must of gotten spoiled in recent Marches

Latest Euro snow totals
If you or I were on this in 2003 (if C-D even existed) we'd have been talking about an April snow map, lol!

Here's another map I found on a Facebook site:

Old 03-17-2013, 08:45 AM

This could end up being a little ice storm for some areas. I'm thinking those between 500-1500' elevation could see accumulation of ice. I dont think enough for power outages. Just not seeing the setup for extended period.

But some of you might wake up and hear the jingling of branches. (meaning ice on every twig and stick)

Old 03-17-2013, 12:37 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,157,308 times
Quote:
This could end up being a little ice storm for some areas. I'm thinking those between 500-1500' elevation could see accumulation of ice. I dont think enough for power outages. Just not seeing the setup for extended period.

But some of you might wake up and hear the jingling of branches. (meaning ice on every twig and stick)
It is a mid-winter type cold day out here..mid 30's..avg temp for dead winter. Feels it too..its a biting cold.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
It is a mid-winter type cold day out here..mid 30's..avg temp for dead winter. Feels it too..its a biting cold.
My hands got cold being outside a while and spreading top soil. LOL Or even walking the dog too.

Upton and Boston not buying more than 2" of snow in CT except for couple areas.

Anyway..

Re-capping..

Snow to start after 5pm Monday no big deal until after 9pm when we start seeing slush on roads and accumlation on backroads.
Changeover to ice and rain starting after midnight for Fairfield and New London counties. After 5am for the rest of the state.
Messy Tuesday morning commute north of I-84
Should be all rain by lunch time for all of CT
Change back to snow after 5pm for north of I-84.

Just a Potpouri of weather. I'll be curious what you all get.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:13 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,157,308 times
Quote:
My hands got cold being outside a while and spreading top soil. LOL Or even walking the dog too.

Upton and Boston not buying more than 2" of snow in CT except for couple areas.

Anyway..

Re-capping..

Snow to start after 5pm Monday no big deal until after 9pm when we start seeing slush on roads and accumlation on backroads.
Changeover to ice and rain starting after midnight for Fairfield and New London counties. After 5am for the rest of the state.
Messy Tuesday morning commute north of I-84
Should be all rain by lunch time for all of CT
Change back to snow after 5pm for north of I-84.

Just a Potpouri of weather. I'll be curious what you all get.

As a rule these storms in mid late March end up being less than we even think it will be snow -wise. however, places that are not over freezing Tuesday morn will have a rough commute.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:02 PM

https://twitter.com/SurfSkiWxMan

Old 03-17-2013, 04:50 PM

Winter Storm Watch all 8 Counties in CT. Map shows all watches and Warnings. Worried Upton thinks half inch of ice. That would really weigh down branches. Notice the time frame also and notice the 1" per hr rates. Thats heavy snow.

Litchfield:
* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 8 INCHES...ALONG WITH
ONE TENTH TO ONE QUARTER INCH OF ICE. THE GREATER SNOWFALL
AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED TO FALL ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN.

* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATES...AROUND ONE INCH PER HOUR MONDAY NIGHT
INTO EARLY TUESDAY MORNING.

Fairfield, New Haven, Middlesex, New London
* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 3 INCHES...ALONG WITH
ICE ACCRETION OF UP TO ONE HALF OF AN INCH.

Hartford, Tolland, Windham

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW AND ICE.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 7 INCHES...ALONG WITH
AROUND A TRACE OF ICE.

* TIMING...SNOW BEGINS LATE MON EVENING...THEN TAPERING OFF TUE
AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION LATE MON NIGHT INTO TUE
MORNING.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut