Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2019, 03:45 PM

243 posts, read 283,229 times

Advertisements

McMaster has to do something to pay Trump back for making him governor when he appointed Haley as ambassador to the UN (who was about as qualified for that position as Caslen is for this one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 08:30 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,574,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock303 View Post
McMaster has to do something to pay Trump back for making him governor when he appointed Haley as ambassador to the UN (who was about as qualified for that position as Caslen is for this one).
Bingo

Old 07-19-2019, 08:34 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,574,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
I am confused. Are they upset that the new President is military? He has experience as a school admin. Was this because the governer called the other trustees to encourage them to vote for his guy? He was Chairman of hte Board right? So seems like it was within his job description. Almost all the peeps on my FB page bitching are democrats. And all the republicans are cheering. Was this strictly a party line thing?
1) The search committee, the semi-finalists and finalists lacked diversity;
2) The qualifications stated that the chosen candidate WILL have a terminal (usually doctoral) degree - Caslen doesn't;
3) USC is a level 1 research institution and Caslen has no experience in management of such an institution;
4) This was pushed through by the Governor and the entire process was opposed by the faculty senate and many students and alumni.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:11 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,339,442 times
“The most important trend in USC’s recent past has been the state legislature cutting university funding. In the early 2000s, the state government was USC’s single largest source of revenue. Today, it contributes barely 10%. The result is a lopsided arrangement where the state legislature retains full control of the Board of Trustees, but does not provide proportionate funding. This budget shortfall has to be made up somehow. Unsurprisingly, groups that have no vote on the board — the students, faculty, staff, and alumni — are asked to pick up the slack. Tuition has risen more than a third. Faculty in many departments are under intense pressure to win more grants, and class sizes have swollen as the student body increased by over 20%.”

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/opinion/op-...#storylink=cpy

Old 07-21-2019, 01:38 PM

37,896 posts, read 42,008,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
“The most important trend in USC’s recent past has been the state legislature cutting university funding. In the early 2000s, the state government was USC’s single largest source of revenue. Today, it contributes barely 10%. The result is a lopsided arrangement where the state legislature retains full control of the Board of Trustees, but does not provide proportionate funding. This budget shortfall has to be made up somehow. Unsurprisingly, groups that have no vote on the board — the students, faculty, staff, and alumni — are asked to pick up the slack. Tuition has risen more than a third. Faculty in many departments are under intense pressure to win more grants, and class sizes have swollen as the student body increased by over 20%.”

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/opinion/op-...#storylink=cpy
Smh. SC just won't get its act together when it comes to higher education funding.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:05 AM

235 posts, read 406,385 times
I love how everyone here has made up their minds about how inappropriate or incompetent this hire is for USC. I for one am hoping that this man prove you all wrong. Whatever happened to giving people a chance before passing judgment? As a double graduate and donor I am proud that we gave this gentleman the opportunity despite all of the baseless static.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:08 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,339,442 times
This “static” still clings. A state senator is filing a bill to remove governor from USC’s board of trustees

Old 07-22-2019, 04:51 PM

37,896 posts, read 42,008,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddo61 View Post
I love how everyone here has made up their minds about how inappropriate or incompetent this hire is for USC. I for one am hoping that this man prove you all wrong. Whatever happened to giving people a chance before passing judgment? As a double graduate and donor I am proud that we gave this gentleman the opportunity despite all of the baseless static.
Sorry but that was never a thing for high profile positions like flagship university president. Credentials (those mandated by the hiring institution no less) and experience, specifically the type of experience, are things that matter a great deal. And even more so, the process matters.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:18 AM

611 posts, read 921,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddo61 View Post
Any venom the critics have should be reserved for the Board of Trustees. They bungled the search from the start, and put us in this mess by pretending their minds were not made up and wasting the time of everyone involved.

From what I've heard, Caslen was the Board's pick from the start. They trotted out 3 other "candidates" but their minds were already made up. As a result, they were completely unprepared for the lack of enthusiasm for Caslen from several parts of the community. Further to that, the parties who knew the decision was already a lock were instrumental in stirring up public opposition. As a result, the Board postponed a vote in order to let the emotions die down and elect their guy.

Henry inserting himself wasn't completely improper in the sense he is a Board member, but certainly did nothing to win over opponents to Caslen who are largely not in Henry's bloc of supporters. All he did was force the Board to make the decision public and get it over with.

Caslen wouldn't have been my first choice due to his age, and secondary concerns regarding his lack of experience with a large public university. However, I'm glad that this process is over and we can move forward. He now has my full support and I hope he is extremely successful.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:21 AM

611 posts, read 921,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Sorry but that was never a thing for high profile positions like flagship university president. Credentials (those mandated by the hiring institution no less) and experience, specifically the type of experience, are things that matter a great deal. And even more so, the process matters.
The process was followed, even if you dislike the outcome.

It's okay to be angry at how the Board of Trustees handled it. It isn't the fault of Caslen, or even McMaster. The Board pretended they cared what the community thought, but they didn't. That's insulting.

Honestly, in the future I'd prefer they made the decision without pretending that public comment was needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area