Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:53 AM

362 posts, read 995,424 times

Advertisements

My daughter is interested in USC. We took a tour in April and other than the fact that the rec center is a little hike from the main campus she liked it alot. She is not sure yet what she wants to major in. Are there any alumni out there who could share their experiences? Did you feel it was too big ,too impersonal, classes too large, lost in the shuffle. Did you feel safe? Alot of school spirit, lots to do? Teachers accessible? Thanks in advance for any info provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 08:05 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,147,385 times
I attended the "Other" University in SC, (Clemson) but graduated from high school in Columbia, I did take a couple of courses at USC in the summer and my mother taught there while working on her PhD. It is a large campus yes, but I never worried about my safety.

Like anywhere, things can happen, especially if you don't pay attention to your surroundings.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:10 AM

330 posts, read 1,402,305 times
I'm a USC grad - and the campus is quite safe. The only crime I can think of involved women jogging alone well after dark and off campus - or incidents from kids getting to drunk at Five Points. But nothing actually on campus. I transferred to USC from Univ of MD College Park where I was completely overwhelmed and lost in the shuffle. So USC was a welcome change. Most classes are relatively small - professors are personable and helpful. There are lots of organizations on campus - something for everyone. School spirit? OMG - wait til her first Gameday in Williams Brice Stadium when the Gamecocks take the field. It gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:17 AM

362 posts, read 995,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
I attended the "Other" University in SC, (Clemson) but graduated from high school in Columbia, I did take a couple of courses at USC in the summer and my mother taught there while working on her PhD. It is a large campus yes, but I never worried about my safety.

Like anywhere, things can happen, especially if you don't pay attention to your surroundings.
Hey GoPadge what info can you give me on Clemson? We were not able to get there in the spring on our college tour but we may try to go this summer. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:41 AM

As a Gamecock through and through, I must politely request that you take any discussions of that other university in South Carolina - to a new thread - under an appropriate heading. LOL

Old 06-29-2007, 10:45 AM

153 posts, read 769,570 times
As masters graduate from USC, I can give you some information. As far as safety, USC seems to be a very safe campus. The campus is spread throughout many city blocks, requiring a considerable walk to get to some classrooms. However, there is a shuttle system student can use.

In my masters program, the student to teacher ratio was exceptional, but that was probably because it was a masters program. The student-teacher ratio as an undergrad will depend on what your daughter's major will be. Some majors have immense classes with 100 to 200 students in a lecture auditorium, but others have a class size ranging from 20-40.

Parking is terrible. Period. The meter maids seem to wait in the shadows for your meter to expire! If you choose student parking, be prepared to pay at least $50-100 per semester, and the shuttles from these lots require a long wait. You'd almost be better off walking to class, but the walk can be 1/2 to 1 mile. Oh, and I know a ton of women who have had their cars broken into when they've used these parking lots. Security does not do a good job in monitoring those lots.

All in all, my experience with USC is mixed. I do feel like I was treated like a number, especially when dealing with the finance, security, and recreation departments. I just didn't feel like the university cared about me as a student...they just wanted my money.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:38 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,147,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfludd View Post
As a Gamecock through and through, I must politely request that you take any discussions of that other university in South Carolina - to a new thread - under an appropriate heading. LOL
You forgot "in the appropriate sub-forum".

To quickly answer BarbaraNJ's question and to at least appear to remain on topic, I'll offer a comparison of the two. I trust sgfludd to keep me honest on the USC side....

Both schools have large enrollments, (~20,000 for USC and ~15,000 for Clemson). Both schools have very active athletic programs, with broad support from the surrounding communities.

Each has it's own unique college eateries, with USC having more options. (My top five for USC are Stuffy's and Sandy's on Main St, Andy's Deli on Green St, Yesterday's in Five Points and the Ihop on Assemble St for the 2am breakfast. For Clemson, my picks would be TD's, Pixie and Bill's, The Acropolis, Keith Street Pub and Grill and the Huddle House for the 2am breakfast.)

Clemson is traditionally a more technical and science (including Agricultural Sciences) in orientation, but they do have a good Liberal Arts program. USC, traditionally is a Liberal Arts school, but they've branched out into the sciences as well. USC also has a Law School and a nationally recognized Business School.

USC is in the middle of a Large (for the south) metropolitan area, and is effected by both the good (entertainment and the arts) and the bad (crime and congestion) that come with any larger city. Clemson is in a relatively small town (there are more students than permanent residents). It too is effected by the good (relatively low crime) and bad (not much to do and traffic it a nightmare on gamedays). In fact, back in the early 90's at least Clemson was the second largest city in the state on Saturdays.

So did I do ok?

Old 06-29-2007, 11:49 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
I'm a USC grad and still live in Columbia. I loved my years on campus and never really felt overwhelmed. There are students from all over, including a large number from New Jersey. From a crime standpoint I never had any problems, but do remember that the University is in the middle of a fairly large city so one should always pay attention. USC has safety call boxes all over and near campus. School spirit is incredible. We have a huge fan base and some of the largest stadiums/arenas in the country. Columbia in the fall on a football weekend is a sight to behold - especially if you are in The Vista or Five Points - you just have no idea. I've got a lot of pics, etc. on my website if you want to see more about sports and pictures from around campus.

Waccamatt's page ·

Old 06-29-2007, 11:52 AM

OMG - SANDY'S - What I wouldn't do for a jumbo slaw dog right now!!!!!!! And GoPadge did a great job - it really depends on what your daughter wants to study - each school has its strengths and weaknesses.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:57 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfludd View Post
OMG - SANDY'S - What I wouldn't do for a jumbo slaw dog right now!!!!!!! And GoPadge did a great job - it really depends on what your daughter wants to study - each school has its strengths and weaknesses.
I was just saying last night how good Sandy's slaw is. I'm hungry now! And what about Zesto's broasted chicken and fries? Unfortunately, the North Main Zesto is only a half mile from my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area