Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 12:00 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,480,435 times

Advertisements

I did my undergraduate work at USC, and my opinions about it are very similar to Charleston Native's. My experience was mixed.

As far as parking is concerned, $50 will get you a "student parking pass". I would've been better off spending $50 buying shots at a bar in 5 points. I recall spending the better part of my sophomore year cruising around full parking lots, late for class. You've gotta park somewhere, though - you can't just miss class.. so you have to get creative. Creativity cost me about $20/week in parking tickets, with the occasional $150 tow. Eventually I wised up, and started paying $300 per semester for a guaranteed spot in one of the parking garages. All in all, it was cheaper and far more convenient than the $50 sticker.

Academic-wise, don't underestimate how important a specific department can be. USC's individual departments cover the full spectrum, from best-in-the-nation (International Business), to good, to mediocre, to garbage. I started off in a miserable skeleton of a department. You could just feel the apathy. After a few years, I switched to a smaller department that was more specialized, and I'm very happy with the classes I took, the professors I had, etc. I actually did feel like the professors cared about me, which was a stark contrast to the rest of USC. Long story short - you've gotta find your niche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 12:31 PM

330 posts, read 1,402,806 times
So off topic - but what about the Rush's Cheeseburger basket! Heaven, I'm in heaven...... Um I think this calls for a food thread....

Old 06-29-2007, 02:17 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,149,389 times
waccamatt and sgfludd, I'm only going to warn you once. The continual mentioning of food FOOD I CAN'T GET because I'm in Texas right now, will get you banned for life.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:24 PM

330 posts, read 1,402,806 times
hehehehehe - I can't get it either = I'm in Los Angeles! hehehehehehehe I'm just daydreaming.....

Old 06-29-2007, 05:13 PM

362 posts, read 995,717 times
Thank you all so much for your comments. Really appreciate it. We only had time to see the campus when we were there and did not get into any other parts of the city such as 5 points. We thought the campus was beautiful. I know this is on her list of schools to apply to this fall so I thank you very much. (And also for the Clemson info, I know wrong site LOL)

Old 12-02-2007, 02:17 PM

362 posts, read 995,717 times
Exciting news! My daughter was accepted into the University of South Carolina. This had become her first choice school so we are very happy. Already ordered her the Gamecocks sweatshirt. Thanks to all for the info received. Will probably have more questions later.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:58 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,574,477 times
Congratulations, Barbara and welcome to the newest Gamecock! I hope she'll grow to love the University as much as I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area