Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 6,460 times

Advertisements

a new yorker my entire life, i've determined i hate the weather and i'm not feeling challenged academically or content socially at the private and pricey university i'm currently attending. i'm looking to transfer out of RIT (in upstate New York) and move south. i'm a hotel and resort management major and i recently discovered USC has a program. does anyone have any information on that program, the college campus, the college experience and housing (if i transfer i may need a single apartment). any more information would be most helpful in making my decision!

i'm looking for a university that i'm proud of, one whose name carries and has weight and with a competitive program in my major. please let me know what you think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 11:23 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times
I graduated a year ago, and I used to work for the college of hrsm. I'll be honest - hrtm isn't exactly an academically challenging department. I know a lot of grads; a few of them went to grad school, a few of them work at golf courses or hotels. However, most people I knew saw it as the easiest way to get a degree.

I'm not sure how USC's department compares with other schools departments. Also, if you are a motivated individual, I'm sure that major at USC would prepare you for a career - I'm simply saying that it's a common major for people who are really 'undecided'. From what I understand, in that field, it's all about internships.

Last edited by anonymous; 08-15-2007 at 12:14 PM..

Old 08-15-2007, 11:34 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirlatheart View Post
a new yorker my entire life, i've determined i hate the weather and i'm not feeling challenged academically or content socially at the private and pricey university i'm currently attending. i'm looking to transfer out of RIT (in upstate New York) and move south. i'm a hotel and resort management major and i recently discovered USC has a program. does anyone have any information on that program, the college campus, the college experience and housing (if i transfer i may need a single apartment). any more information would be most helpful in making my decision!

i'm looking for a university that i'm proud of, one whose name carries and has weight and with a competitive program in my major. please let me know what you think!
I don't know a lot about that degree specifically, but I've heard that the program has a good reputation. I can answer your other questions, though. Finding an apartment in the USC area will not be difficult, as there are a multitude of options, including on-campus housing, houses, apartments, condos and duplexes. USC is an urban campus, located in downtown Columbia, but it also has a beautiful central campus area called The Horseshoe. I'll be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:38 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,987 times
Don't know much specifically about the HRTM program at USC, but I can say that as a transfer, you will very likely have to find a place off campus, which doesn't sound like a problem. I transferred to USC from another 4-year school in SC as a junior and I was not considered for housing. There's quite a bit of rentals within close proximity of campus. I managed to get a room in South Quad (4 BR/2 BA arrangement...very popular dorm on campus) about a month after I started, but I'm not sure how the housing situation is down there as of current (I graduated in '04). You have a lot of options. Overall, USC is a good school. Quite diverse and enjoyable. Best of luck in whatever you decide. Go Gamecocks!

Old 08-22-2007, 03:56 PM

153 posts, read 715,725 times
Former Carolina grad myself. I don't know much about that particular program either. HRTM in many schools is one of the "jock" majors, and I don't think its any different at Carolina. I thought I had heard we have a decent program though, inspite of what I just said. You should confirm that though.

The campus is fantastic. Its an urban campus, so its compact but its still somewhat separate from the daily activities of the city. Plenty of green space around too (look up the Horseshoe). You can get that full fleged college experience if you want it, but still have access to city amenties (that was a big selling point to me). There are plenty of restaurants and entertainment within walking distance to campus. Housing isn't hard to find. Off campus you will pay for proximity to campus, but like I said- its not hard to find. One of the student-oriented apartment complexes even offers a shuttle to campus. USC is a fine school, you won't regret your decision if you choose it. Good luck!

Go *****!

Old 08-23-2007, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,460 times
Default thanks!!

thanks everyone who replied!! it seems as though i've stumbled on a great school for what i'm looking for! application deadline in november 1st for spring '08, and i think i'm going to make the move!

i am curious of a ballpark for what to expect for housing costs if any one has a figure for me!

Old 08-24-2007, 01:05 PM

You'll be able to rent a one bedroom decent apartment close to USC for $500-$700 a month.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:14 PM

6 posts, read 25,298 times
USC is a great school. Welcome!

dancecreationsofsc.com

Old 09-02-2007, 11:17 AM

What is it with people that incessantly try to promote their businesses on this site? It is quite annoying.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:31 PM

38 posts, read 161,171 times
I drove 45 minutes just to go to school there. I was at a different campus as well but loved the atmosphere in Columbia. The weather is nice, the campus isn't too big and parking isn't a problem, you can either get a pass to go in the garage or park for free in a parking lot (which I did, I didn't mind the drive). Granted this was years back when I attended but I would think it would be fairly the same. I don't know much about your program since I was a science major and spent most of my time over that way. Good luck, hope you make the deadline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area