Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2019, 08:40 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,277,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
This is huge re Darla Moore saying stop the vote and start the search anew and do it properly
https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...232864697.html
I don’t know a lot about Darla Moore, nothing personal at least, but I’ve always liked what she’s stood for and what she’s done for the university and this is yet another case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 03:36 AM

757 posts, read 569,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I don’t know a lot about Darla Moore, nothing personal at least, but I’ve always liked what she’s stood for and what she’s done for the university and this is yet another case.
Now that Bob McNair has passed away (very sad about that btw), Darla Moore is the only billionaire alumna we have. You don't spurn your biggest donor in history and a likely future contributor.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:52 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,574,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Now that Bob McNair has passed away (very sad about that btw), Darla Moore is the only billionaire alumna we have. You don't spurn your biggest donor in history and a likely future contributor.
This vote is a travesty and will hurt the University for years.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
This vote is a travesty and will hurt the University for years.
Oh no, you're kidding... I don't feel good about this. How and why would you want to be the president of a university when there was so much backlash? I mean, this was not a feel good story about being elected president of a research university, but a controversial one. Was he that desperate to have it? I just don't know. It's strange to me.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:18 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,339,442 times
Ta it’s a pretty sad turn of events. As for why he took it though, the money.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:19 PM

518 posts, read 437,602 times
I am confused. Are they upset that the new President is military? He has experience as a school admin. Was this because the governer called the other trustees to encourage them to vote for his guy? He was Chairman of hte Board right? So seems like it was within his job description. Almost all the peeps on my FB page bitching are democrats. And all the republicans are cheering. Was this strictly a party line thing?

Old 07-19-2019, 02:05 PM

439 posts, read 424,027 times
From an outsiders perspective, it looks like some weird political thing.

However, from where I sit, I am glad for you because I live with the negative impacts of how it will go should your politics go extreme like out here on the west coast.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:13 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,339,442 times
Not really again even half the board voted no, he was elected by the slimmest of margins which is very rare
For a university president.

The problem is UofSC’s embarrassing HR process coupled with the governor intervention to force a vote
on a candydate the board didn’t want to elect in April. It’s the do over three months later that rankles
Republicans and democrats alike. Fitsnews, very right, was against the governors intervention too.

The university will likely change their internal processes to avoid this from ever happening again. Nobody disagrees on that part.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:51 PM

160 posts, read 141,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fassopony View Post
From an outsiders perspective, it looks like some weird political thing.

However, from where I sit, I am glad for you because I live with the negative impacts of how it will go should your politics go extreme like out here on the west coast.
SC politics are often characterized polar opposite to your extremes!
For example, Trustee Bubba was caught on hot mic today before the vote referring to student demonstrators as from out of town and some of that Kamala Harris crowd, dog whistle code injections of race and “you’re not from around nere, boy”. Caslen has been associated with ties to Trump, which endears him to our Governor.

The trustees’ excuse of “better hire Caslen now before someone else hires him” is a ploy as old as the hills, used by many regardless of race or political affiliations. Here locally, alleged offer from other cities were used to elevate Baker and Austin to higher city government positions.

Caslen may have qualifications better suited to The Citadel. Doctors and attorneys may be well qualified,
but they are not interchangeable. Caslen does not seem to be the best candidate for president of a major university.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiCoLex View Post
SC politics are often characterized polar opposite to your extremes!
For example, Trustee Bubba was caught on hot mic today before the vote referring to student demonstrators as from out of town and some of that Kamala Harris crowd, dog whistle code injections of race and “you’re not from around nere, boy”. Caslen has been associated with ties to Trump, which endears him to our Governor.

The trustees’ excuse of “better hire Caslen now before someone else hires him” is a ploy as old as the hills, used by many regardless of race or political affiliations. Here locally, alleged offer from other cities were used to elevate Baker and Austin to higher city government positions.

Caslen may have qualifications better suited to The Citadel. Doctors and attorneys may be well qualified,
but they are not interchangeable. Caslen does not seem to be the best candidate for president of a major university.
I didn’t want to start rumors on here but my neighbor that works for the university in an academic capacity mentioned the same thing a few days ago. It wouldn't be surprising or shocking to me at all. Who would be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area