Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 08:52 AM

730 posts, read 1,402,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rooster View Post
Nice rally from the 5th inning on. I thought we were done for when we fell behind 6-1.
As a Clemson guy, I had the feeling we would find a way to lose. And of course, the errors came. Same as football with the turnovers. There is a complete mental block with the football and baseball teams in Clemson when it comes to USC. One bad thing turns into 4 or 5 bad things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 09:39 AM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
As a Clemson guy, I had the feeling we would find a way to lose. And of course, the errors came. Same as football with the turnovers. There is a complete mental block with the football and baseball teams in Clemson when it comes to USC. One bad thing turns into 4 or 5 bad things.
I hear ya. I've been there from the other side. I hope I'm never there again. Beating the nemesis feels too good. We'll concede men's basketball to y'all while we rebuild our program.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:55 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,571,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aosmith View Post
lol at "rebuild our program" in basketball.

SC has never been a basketball power. A consistent doormat in the worse power conference for basketball.

SC post Spurrier will be what it was pre-Spurrier unless they get Urban Meyer or Saban. lol
That is not true. We were a national power in the 60's and 70's.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:48 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,276,373 times
Quote:
college basketball lot different today. lot more colleges put out decent programs in basketball.

Regardless, he said rebuild the program but SC hasn't had any recent success. I think they had a couple decent years in the mid 90s.
I know '97 was a good year. But what waccamatt said, Carolina was a nationally known power in the late 60's and early 70's under Mcguire. All the old-timers harp on how big basketball was and long for the old times. I think if Frank Martin even has an average year where our team can at least play competitively, the fans will turn out in droves.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:17 PM

800 posts, read 1,464,563 times
This is just the reverse of how the Carolina-clemson rivalry was in the 90's, in all sports. I remember when Carolina couldn't buy a win against clemson in anything.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
ok well my point was that it was lot easier to be a power back in the day than today.
Welcome back Francis/Pelham/Bob Baker, etc.

Big surprise, but I gotta disagree with ya here. Frankly, it shouldn't be that hard to be a power in basketball, not as hard as in football anyway. All you need in basketball are a couple of decent players to turn things around and make an NCAA tourney run. Plus, the NCAA field is a lot larger now than it was back during our all-too-brief run at the top in the late 60s-early 70s. Used to be that you had to win your conference to even make it to the NCAA's.

All of which makes USC's continued ineptitude in men's basketball hard to fathom.

I still think Martin will be the guy to get us back to respectability. If they don't show me something next year though, I'll start to wonder. Maybe Dawn Staley can take over the men's program....

Old 03-01-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
it wasn't just Clemson. lol SC always been one of the worse football programs
Wrong again.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Lone Star,

You have a point but I think you are conflating two different things.

Football programs have a bigger barrier to entry because you have to recruit a lot more kids and have bigger coaching staff, etc. There is also only limited really big kids to play in the trenches and the SEC generlaly has a monopoloy on those kids, so the little schools never have a shot at developing a football program.

Because it is easier to put together 5 or 6 kids who can play bbasketball, a lot of smaller schools are trying to build a program. So you are recruiting against a lot of schools.

You've seen Butler and others make final 4 in rrecent years out of nowhere. Now it is true the lesson of that is why not SC too but that ignores the realtiy that you aren't just competing for recruits against Duke and UNC and Kansas but also other programs like VCU, Davidson, etc. Talented players have lot more choices in basketball than football.
Sounds reasonable to me.

First time for everything, I guess.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Look it up dude, it only has better overall all time win percentage than like 2 ACC schools. NC State and Wake Forest I think.

It isn't a slam, it jsut never been a football school. Those guys on ESPN were telling Spurrier not to go there b/c he would fail there. lol Took him 5 years to start having some success and he still has no SEC title and not a great record against ranked SEC teams especially on the road.
Oh, but I have looked it up. Numerous times, so won't do it again here. Suffice it to say that there are a bunch of BCS conference teams that have an all-time W-L record worse than Carolina's. An all-time record to be proud of? No, but the 21st century has been much better for Gamecock football than the 20th was.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
You would think Obama fan boys would have some humilty 6 years in. lol Your way isn't working but you continue to claim your are the superior brand. I understand about ego though. lol
I do believe you're barking up the wrong tree here. Not an Obama fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area