Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2022, 01:27 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,933,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
COLORADO SPRINGS—Colorado College’s 12th annual State of the Rockies Project Conservation in the West Poll released today showed a spike in concern over issues like drought, inadequate water supplies, wildfires, the loss of wildlife habitats and natural spaces, and climate change among voters in the Mountain West. Those concerns align with continued strong support for pro-conservation policies.

The poll, which surveyed the views of voters in eight Mountain West states (Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming), found 69 percent of voters are concerned about the future of nature, meaning land, water, air, and wildlife. That level of concern was a notable jump from 61 percent in last year’s poll.

Against that backdrop, 86 percent of Western voters now say issues involving clean water, clean air, wildlife and public lands are important in their decision of whether to support an elected official, up from 80 percent in 2020 and 75 percent in 2016.

“We are seeing a perfect storm of threats that are driving higher levels of concern than ever before for the state of our lands and water in the Mountain West,” said Katrina Miller-Stevens, Director of the State of the Rockies Project and an associate professor at Colorado College. “Not surprisingly, most voters are aligning behind policies that would help mitigate threats by conserving and protecting more outdoor spaces.”

~snip~

Climate change seen as a threat with voters expressing concern over impacts

Most voters in the Mountain West, 62 percent, believe climate change is happening and requires action. Among them, 44 percent agree climate change is established as a serious problem and immediate action is necessary. Another 18 percent say there is enough evidence of climate change that some action should be taken. 52 percent of voters view climate change as a very serious or extremely serious problem, up from 46 percent in 2020 and 27 percent in 2011.
- More

This shift in attitude among Western voters is hardly surprising: In this last year alone, SW Colorado has continued to suffer from a megadrought that has lasted 22 years and counting. The Marshall fire that swept through suburban areas between Denver and Boulder on Dec. 30 was among the most destructive in in Colorado's history, destroying almost 1,000 homes and forcing the evacuation of tens of thousands of residents. And climate change combined with an overflow of visitors continues to degrade public lands in our National Parks and National Forests. The story is much the same in the rest of the Mountain West.

Scientists inform us that in the coming decades, we will lose many of our most iconic species from the piñon pine to the pika. The loss of wild nature is a profound and disheartening affront to the spirit of people everywhere. There are values to be found in the unspoiled grasslands, woodlands, and forests beyond any price. For those familiar with the native cultures of New Mexico and southern Colorado, there are few things more precious than the scent of roasting pine nuts over a piñon fire on a chill autumn morning.

I think the fuel pumps at the local gas station should be retrofitted to provide a brief public announcement at the end of every sale. Like: "Your purchase today will contribute to the deaths of 10,000 monarch butterflies! The 6th Great Extinction - Mother Nature couldn't do it without your help. Thank you!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 09:42 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,311,052 times
Lake Powell likely to drop below critical level in next two weeks

Water managers in the Colorado River Basin have tried to keep Lake Powell from falling under 3,525 feet — it’s likely to happen soon.

https://coloradosun.com/2022/03/01/l...eid=63b8603e28

"In the next week or two, the water level at Lake Powell is likely to dip below a key target elevation of 3,525 feet above sea level — a benchmark water managers have long tried to avoid — according to Nick Williams, power manager for the Bureau of Reclamation’s Upper Colorado River Basin.

“I think we’re right at 2 feet above that target elevation,” Williams said. “At the rate we’re dropping we could be there in a week or two.”

Old 03-02-2022, 11:26 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Lake Powell likely to drop below critical level in next two weeks

Water managers in the Colorado River Basin have tried to keep Lake Powell from falling under 3,525 feet — it’s likely to happen soon.

https://coloradosun.com/2022/03/01/l...eid=63b8603e28

"In the next week or two, the water level at Lake Powell is likely to dip below a key target elevation of 3,525 feet above sea level — a benchmark water managers have long tried to avoid — according to Nick Williams, power manager for the Bureau of Reclamation’s Upper Colorado River Basin.

“I think we’re right at 2 feet above that target elevation,” Williams said. “At the rate we’re dropping we could be there in a week or two.”
Feedback loops have been in motion for decades now already. It will be getting much worse unforunately.

Old 03-04-2022, 06:17 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
Lake Powell's water storage level is at around 25 percent of it's full capacity level. If the water level drops another 35 feet, it will be below the level of the intake pipes that drop water into the turbines to generate power. If that happens during the summer air conditioning season, it will put a lot of extra strain on the power grid in the southwest.

Old 03-04-2022, 09:19 AM

We need to be realistic and write Lake Powell and the Glen Canyon dam off as a lost cause. Given the current drought which is highly likely to continue and the higher temperatures that global warming is bringing to the American West, the Colorado River cannot sustain two large reservoirs (Mead and Powell). Even without global warming, the population growth in the Southwest cannot continue on unabated. The water is simply not available. Powell will be sacrificed in order to maintain Lake Mead which also generates hydroelectric power. However, Lake Mead alone will not be enough to replace what has been lost (squandered, really).

The American West cannot continue as a hydraulic society. It was sheer hubris to believe otherwise. We cannot "make the desert bloom," continue to build vast tracts of (air conditioned) homes and lure millions to come live in Phoenix or El Paso or Las Vegas or Denver. The cry for more growth has gone from a clarion call to a death knell for the cities which depend upon water from the Colorado River in order to thrive. That pool of water you see up ahead on the hot desert highway is a mirage and nothing more.

Old 03-04-2022, 01:15 PM

18,715 posts, read 33,372,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post

The American West cannot continue as a hydraulic society. It was sheer hubris to believe otherwise. We cannot "make the desert bloom," continue to build vast tracts of (air conditioned) homes and lure millions to come live in Phoenix or El Paso or Las Vegas or Denver. The cry for more growth has gone from a clarion call to a death knell for the cities which depend upon water from the Colorado River in order to thrive. That pool of water you see up ahead on the hot desert highway is a mirage and nothing more.

I read (cannot find the cite) that 86 percent of the water goes to agriculture.

Old 03-04-2022, 01:48 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
^

https://abcnews.go.com/US/west-solve...ry?id=78566068

https://www.edf.org/ecosystems/rebal...and%20wildlife.
"In Utah, up to 90% of the water used in the state goes to agriculture, The Salt Lake Tribune reported. In Arizona, a large amount of the water extracted from the Colorado River goes toward agriculture, Erinanne Saffell, acting Arizona state climatologist, told ABC News.

Overall, between 80% and 90% of the water from the Colorado River system is used for agriculture, Berggren said.

In California, about 80% of the water use goes toward irrigated farming, Lund said, but agriculture only accounts for about 5% of the economy.

"It's a very valuable commodity. It's a very valuable part of many rural economies," Lund said. "But if you don't have the water, then over the long term you just can't sustain it."

Old 03-04-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I read (cannot find the cite) that 86 percent of the water goes to agriculture.
My short term memory is the best joke ever these days. Did I give that 86% statistic in one of my posts on this thread? Or are you thinking of the Colorado College paper which I quoted a few posts back that states:

Quote:
Against that backdrop, 86 percent of Western voters now say issues involving clean water, clean air, wildlife and public lands are important in their decision of whether to support an elected official, up from 80 percent in 2020 and 75 percent in 2016.
Depending on the source, estimates of agricultural use of the Colorado River water ranges from 70% to 86% depending on whose asking and what part of the river basin they may be looking at. I believe that 70% is a more accurate figure. That what ProPublica estimates in an excellent article that they put out in August of 2021. Well worth the read.

If you can point me to the post where I gave the 86% portion of water use by agriculture, I could more easily track the source down for you.

@ GraniteStater I just now saw your reply. Thank you!

Old 03-04-2022, 01:54 PM

7,182 posts, read 9,311,052 times
Read "Cadillac Desert", by Marc Reisner, a book from about 1986.

It's the best history of the water parched West.

Old 03-04-2022, 02:03 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
I've seen and posted before that 90% of the water that is retained in COLO and used in COLO goes to the Ag sector. About 10% goes to city use, evenly split at 5% to household use and 5% for watering lawns. That stat goes back many years.

There are stats out there about the water footprint for a pound of beef, somewhere in the range of 1800 gallons per pound of beef. In travels through eastern COLO I've seen massive irrigation systems blowing water all over fields of corn that is later fed to cattle. We are pumping our nation dry to support the dollar menu at McDonald's....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado