Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2022, 09:39 AM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
The west have had decades to handle their water use issues, and haven't done a thing. Why should some other states give up some of their water to serve people that couldn't help themselves?
I wouldn’t say nothing has been done. There have been many new reservoirs built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 12:52 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,248,713 times
We recently attended a talk on the Colorado river by Andy Mueller, Colorado River District General Manager.

One interesting thing I heard at the talk. I have lived in Colorado for almost 40 years now and its never clear if snowfall is increasing or decreasing. There are La Nina's, El Nino's, Pacific Decadal oscillations etc all affecting snow fall in the area. Its been all over the map the whole time I have been here.

However, average temperatures in the watershed region are clearly showing a measured increase and our region especially SW Colorado has experienced more warming than many areas of the US (likely due to the lower humidity of higher elevations so more impact from atmospheric green house gases).

The higher temperature creates dryer soil so more of melting snow is absorbed instead of ending up in a river. Higher temps (and more wind) cause more direct sublimation of snow. And higher temperatures cause more evaporation. To some extent, our snow pack is part of the water storage system and that storage becomes more leaky as temperatures increase.

Scientists have quantified how much of the watershed is lost as temperature increases https://blogs.edf.org/growingreturns...gical%20Survey.

Quote:
Colorado River flows are highly sensitive to warming, and aridification caused by climate change is already reducing the water flowing in the river. With each additional 1 degree Celsius (1.8 degrees Fahrenheit) of warming, the Colorado River’s average flow drops by 9.3%, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
This web page shows local warming in the US. Scroll down a ways for specific counties. https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...hange-america/

The county I live in now (Ouray county) has actually seen a 2.3 C increase in average temperature between 1895 and 2018.

So even with normal ups and downs of snowfall, the river output is going to drop as temperature increases. The talk had so much info (mostly gloomy).. but I was at least happy this guy is involved in trying to make things somehow work out.

One thing that I guess will make some sort of dent in the problem is more water storage at higher elevations. Im guessing because of less evaporation.

Old 10-18-2022, 03:42 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
The west have had decades to handle their water use issues, and haven't done a thing. Why should some other states give up some of their water to serve people that couldn't help themselves?
*As a native Coloradan, I couldn't agree more. The Colorado River has its headwaters in the Colorado mountains. Colorado needs that water to sustain growth in Colorado cities and towns, and lets not forget about supporting Colorado agriculture, as well.

Too bad for any place that's located below Lake Powell. Bye Phoenix. See you later Las Vegas. Quit bleeding us dry southern California. These are all places I personally want nothing to do with anyhow. It's our mountains, our state and our river (which was named after us for heaven's sake).

*BTW, for those of you who lack a sense of humor, my reply is intended to be sarcastic.

Old 10-18-2022, 04:18 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I wouldn't mind living in some of those states, but if the Colorado River Compact of 1922 can be re-negotiated then I see it equally possible for the Great Lakes Compact to be renegotiated. Just like science itself, the arrival of new info and new facts often requires revisiting the underlying science.
Canada has an effective veto on any attempts to divert water from the Great Lakes basin and veto they would.

Old 10-20-2022, 09:53 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Canada has an effective veto on any attempts to divert water from the Great Lakes basin and veto they would.
Canada doesn’t have guns, they’re screwed.

Old 12-07-2022, 06:56 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
The impacts of urban sprawl on Colorado's water supply

Rebecca Mitchell, Director of the Colorado Water Conservation Board, said even with a stable or reduced population, there still may not be enough water.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/l...f-1df03612a7d8

"Citing increased traffic, the loss of open space, and a strain on the water supply, 75% of Coloradans surveyed said urban sprawl, which is the encroachment of cities into natural space and agricultural space, is making Colorado a worse place to live. "

"Of those surveyed, 70% said water should not be diverted away from agriculture in favor of supporting further urban development.

And 76% said water should be kept in streams to support wildlife.

Rebecca Mitchell, Director of the Colorado Water Conservation Board, said even with a stable or reduced population, there still may not be enough water because of a 20-plus-year mega-drought in the West."

That shows why this is such a difficult problem. Nobody wants to change anything.

Old 12-09-2022, 03:11 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
The impacts of urban sprawl on Colorado's water supply

Rebecca Mitchell, Director of the Colorado Water Conservation Board, said even with a stable or reduced population, there still may not be enough water.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/l...f-1df03612a7d8

"Citing increased traffic, the loss of open space, and a strain on the water supply, 75% of Coloradans surveyed said urban sprawl, which is the encroachment of cities into natural space and agricultural space, is making Colorado a worse place to live. "

"Of those surveyed, 70% said water should not be diverted away from agriculture in favor of supporting further urban development.

And 76% said water should be kept in streams to support wildlife.

Rebecca Mitchell, Director of the Colorado Water Conservation Board, said even with a stable or reduced population, there still may not be enough water because of a 20-plus-year mega-drought in the West."

That shows why this is such a difficult problem. Nobody wants to change anything.
Yeah yeah yeah yeah.... People love to whine. Fact is most of the state is pretty darn empty except for the Front Range and I-70 corridor.

Development will continue, the money will pull it from agriculture to urban development. Though I firmly believe it's places like Salida moreso than Parker that are going to be the newer growth engines if you look at rates of acceleration / deceleration. You have to put current trends in respect to the even more explosive growth of the 70s-90s along the Front Range. It's slowed down.

Old 12-09-2022, 10:22 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Yeah yeah yeah yeah.... People love to whine. Fact is most of the state is pretty darn empty except for the Front Range and I-70 corridor.

Development will continue, the money will pull it from agriculture to urban development. Though I firmly believe it's places like Salida moreso than Parker that are going to be the newer growth engines if you look at rates of acceleration / deceleration. You have to put current trends in respect to the even more explosive growth of the 70s-90s along the Front Range. It's slowed down.
You have a bizarre definition of “pretty darn empty.”

Old 12-10-2022, 09:09 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
There was an article of interest on this subject recently that came to my attention. Originally published Dec. 1 in the Washington Post, this link might be better for avoiding a paywall.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...-possible-2023

"...That would force turbines which supply 4.5 million people with electricity to shut down, likely triggering financial struggles for people across southwestern states. The standard rate for low-cost power generated by Glen Canyon Dam is $30 per megawatt hour, but with the dam already producing 40% less power than it originally did, customers this past summer faced prices as high as $1,000 per megawatt hour as they sought electricity on the open market.

The latest projections of the Bureau of Reclamation show that minimum power pool status could be reached as early as next July.

Tom Buschatzke, director of Arizona's Department of Water Resources, told the Post that dead pool status would amount to "an ecological disaster," with the region's agricultural sector cut off from a crucial irrigation source.."

Old 12-10-2022, 07:17 PM

334 posts, read 420,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Tom Buschatzke, director of Arizona's Department of Water Resources, told the Post that dead pool status would amount to "an ecological disaster," with the region's agricultural sector cut off from a crucial irrigation source.."
I would hardly call the death of cultivated crops an ecological disaster. It would be an economic disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado