Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2022, 08:05 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,051,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Worse, I recall that the states around the Great Lakes signed a compact about five years ago to never let there be a pipeline from there to here. So much for unity, eh.

They are unfortunately banned under both federal and state law, and the legislation is fairly recent.
Even if these U.S. laws were absent, we'd still have to work something out with Canada; due to international agreement.
It was saddening to witness what climate change has done to your state.
As last century, Monarch pass was totally green; now it's mile after mile of 90% dead spruce/pine.
A tinder box of beetle damaged wilderness only remains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 08:35 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If whatever you want to do obeys the laws of physics and you have enough money, you can do anything.

Bringing water from sea-level areas such as Oregon or Michigan to high altitude Colorado would require quite a bit of energy but it could be done. I actually think the politics would be more difficult than the physics.

But before we do that, let's go after the low hanging fruit such as eliminating bluegrass lawns and golf courses.
Lawns and golf courses arent the problem though. They only use a fraction of water but hey go right ahead and claim a victory.

farming is the biggest water user.

Old 02-15-2022, 08:39 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Lawns and golf courses arent the problem though. They only use a fraction of water but hey go right ahead and claim a victory.

farming is the biggest water user.
This. We need to stop growing produce in the middle of the freakin' desert in CA and AZ.

We also need to stop letting idiotically-placed cities like Las Vegas continue to grow at a breakneck pace.

Old 02-15-2022, 08:56 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
But before we do that, let's go after the low hanging fruit such as eliminating bluegrass lawns and golf courses.
The amount of water really needed to sustain human life is really small. 86% of Colorado water is used for agriculture. Federal and state water use laws have bizarre disincentives for agricultural water conservation. The low hanging fruit isn’t golf courses. It’s bizarre government policy that is causing the problem. Water for agriculture isn’t a “right”.

Old 02-15-2022, 08:57 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,582 times
In favor of piping Columbia water. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_discharge

Columbia River is No. 4 at 273,000 average cfs.

Colorado River is No. 37 at 22,000 average cfs.

You can theoretically pipe the Colorado's entire flow from the Columbia without even making a blip in its flow. And really, who needs the Columbia's whole flow? There's a bunch of agricultural land and Portland, that's about it. Plenty to share. Unless I'm mistaken, but off the top of my head it sounds just...so doable, with the funds to build the pipeline and allocate the energy needed for the pipeline to function. But is there the will? The USA doesn't really build stuff anymore.

Dump it into the headwaters of the Green, and suddenly Powell and Mead are filled for good. With the Green flowing full, Colorado can keep its own reservoirs full instead of having to release water to fulfill obligations and whatnot.

A man can dream.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:16 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,052,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
This. We need to stop growing produce in the middle of the freakin' desert in CA and AZ.
Is there some other place in the U.S. where enough produce could be grown in the winter? I don't believe there is, but I'm welcome to be corrected.

Of course there's plenty of other crops grown in the Southwest that really should be grown elsewhere... things like alfalfa, corn, and even cotton. All of these can be grown in the Midwest and the South.

Old 02-15-2022, 07:50 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
A big effort to make a major diversion of the Green River failed. To date.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:03 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,934,737 times
And the bad news just keeps on coming in. Here are the latest seasonal outlooks, through May 31, 2022, hot off the presses from the Climate Prediction Center:

Old 02-17-2022, 12:11 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Anyone got the snow pack site? I never could find that graphic when I tried. Thank you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-17-2022, 02:44 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,934,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Anyone got the snow pack site? I never could find that graphic when I tried. Thank you.
Here you go:

Also, long-range climatological forecasts are produced by the Climate Prediction Center (CPC), a branch of the National Weather Service. These include 8-14 day outlooks, monthly outlooks, and seasonal outlooks. If you are me, you can spend hours studying the maps and contemplating all the information that this site supplies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado