Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2022, 04:30 PM

6,927 posts, read 7,001,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Read "Cadillac Desert", by Marc Reisner, a book from about 1986.

It's the best history of the water parched West.
I love that book! Even though it came out more than 30 years ago that book is as compelling as if it were just written today. Reisner does an outstanding job of explaining the hows and whys of water use in the West. I've gone through it three times now and the read becomes more fascinating every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 06:34 PM

7,282 posts, read 9,480,181 times
Dry boat ramps, exposed rocks at Lake Powell reveal the cost of Colorado River drought

Boaters and anglers will find fewer options this year at Lake Powell as water managers scramble to protect critical resources.

https://www.azcentral.com/in-depth/n...ll/9228093002/

"The river and its reservoir have experienced the Southwest’s driest multidecade “megadrought” in at least 1,200 years, according to a study led by UCLA researchers. Such aridification would likely take more than a single wet year to reverse, according to lead author Park Williams. That study follows a number of others in recent years showing that rising temperatures put more demand on the region’s water, worsening the effects of poor precipitation.

Second only to Lake Mead among American freshwater reservoirs, Lake Powell was brimming when the drought began around the turn of this century. Today it’s about a quarter full. The extent of last year’s plunge surprised park managers, and for about a month the businesses that clean, supply and launch houseboats for vacationers had nowhere to launch them."

Click on that link. Lots of good photos.

Old 03-06-2022, 06:41 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,724,182 times
Interesting & eye opening thread.

Keep it going

Old 03-09-2022, 06:11 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,475,704 times
https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...cid=entnewsntp

I always take these stories with a grain of salt but Denver ranked #3 as cities facing a major water shortage in hte next 20 years.

Old 04-02-2022, 04:59 AM

The Colorado Climate Center has just released its most recent update for wildland fire potential outlook. These updates come out three times per year and give the predictions for the coming four months. I was pleased to notice that Colorado is definitely now in the big leagues for wildfire in the American West. As I looked over all the maps and lists of data, it appeared to me that the only Western state which tops Colorado in wildfire related atrocities is California.

Colorado is now starting to predict wildfire potential beginning with the month of April. April? Didn't April used to be semi-infamous for the potential of big spring snowstorms to materialize and dump a few gazillion feet of snow up on all the mountain passes? I used to hate having to drive anywhere west of Denver on I-70 in April. I am already on a tight budget and it never seemed to fail that if I was headed back to Colorado Springs and was driving on I-70 anywhere between Glenwood Springs and Vail, the news would come blasting forth from my Explorer's radio of the inevitable jack-knifed truck and the inevitable closure of I-70 in both directions for at least 6 hours coming now to a location only a mile or less down the Interstate from where I was. Daaaamn!

The good news is that now impoverished Coloradans will have to spend fewer hours waiting shivering in their vehicles and drinking tepid coffee because they can't even afford the admittance fee of some resort town McDonalds type outfit, never mind the stratospheric cost of a room in Vail for the night.

The bad news is that now wildfire season not only starts in April but also continues on through December or maybe even March. Apparently wildfire "season" in Colorado is now a year round event - or more properly - an unending series of events. Check out the following maps:

You can check out this series of maps and much more at the Colorado Climate Center webpage. They've got data on everything!

Old 04-02-2022, 07:06 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,215,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
......I was pleased to notice that Colorado is definitely now in the big leagues for wildfire......
Why would you be "pleased" with this?

Definitely a weird statement to make.

Old 04-02-2022, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Why would you be "pleased" with this?

Definitely a weird statement to make.
I was being ironic.

Old 05-03-2022, 11:01 AM

26,366 posts, read 49,450,336 times
The removal of grass lawns in Las Vegas made the front page of the NY Times today, article here. NY Times is a paywall site but this open source site has the piece, but no pix.

Excerpt:

"It was a perfectly decent patch of lawn, several hundred square feet of grass in a condominium community on this city’s western edge. But Jaime Gonzalez, a worker with a local landscaping firm, had a job to do. Wrangling a heavy gas-powered sod cutter, Mr. Gonzalez sliced the turf away from the soil underneath, like peeling a potato. Two co-workers followed, gathering the strips for disposal. ... Under a state law passed last year that is the first of its kind in the nation, patches of grass like this, found along streets and at housing developments and commercial sites in and around Las Vegas, must be removed in favor of more desert-friendly landscaping."

Egads! A government that actually DOES something about a problem.

When we lived in COLO SPGS, at least ten years ago, the state passed a law that essentially nullified HOA rules that required a lot of lawn area. We adjusted our HOA bylaws to allow homeowners the leeway to reduce grassy areas and to put solar panels on their homes and property.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-03-2022, 01:02 PM

1,564 posts, read 2,422,993 times
So many bright green lawns already in my hood. I guess they water in the middle of the night. It is not hard to see the future if the drought continues - lawns will shrink or disappear and irrigation/lawn care businesses will need to find another line of work.

Old 05-03-2022, 01:06 PM

8,623 posts, read 15,065,629 times
I'm not trying to defend bluegrass, but the bottom line still remains - agriculture consumes vastly more water than lawns. Irrigating the desert in places like AZ and CA to grow produce is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado