Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2020, 02:18 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times

Advertisements

^^^^
Excellent article, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 03:38 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think what people miss is going out to the actual place, at least some do. I know the local lectures and arts and all are often on line but I miss the gathering of the community.
If this is addressing library withdrawal, for me it is the spontaneity of discovering a book that looks interesting, while browsing the shelves. We are lucky and very grateful to have one of the three local libraries operating in COVID-period mode instead of being closed altogether. We look at their holdings list online and reserve a book(s) and, if it is available, they clean, bag, and label it for pickup outside the doors. If it is checked out, it must await return AND an additional one-week “book quarantine” before processing for the next person to take. The statewide share/lend program is suspended for now, not surprisingly.

I also do miss physically being in the library and seeing other people loving, appreciating, books. Even introverts feel connection to other people.

This way of borrowing books probably will end when things become safer. I would hate to think that looking for books to read is just like going shopping with a strict to-buy list, in and out and nothing more. I do that for much retail purchasing (clothes, for example) but bookstores, libraries, the former LP and CD stores...those things are kind of hallowed ground to me. Not to be rushed through as only a transaction.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:35 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,721,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Of all the things I miss due to COVID-19, I think that I miss the library the most!

(Btw, I Googled it, but couldn't find anything about it, and unless I missed, Polis didn't mention libraries in his press conference yesterday.)
That’s what I miss the most too.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:48 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,235,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Pulse ox normal in Denver is around 95%. In the mountains, can be in the 90% range normally.
that's helpful info, thanks. I was spending some "use it or lose it" HCSA money and randomly bought a pulse ox so at least I have one around the house if it seems like there is a need to use it.

Also wanted to share that Samsung Galaxy phones have a pulse ox testing capacity in their Samsung Health app. It tested several percentage points lower than the actual monitor did, although some of that could be from not making as good contact due to the case on the phone I think? The sensor is in the camera area, and it's not covered by the case, but part of your finger rests on the case when you test it. But if someone did want to track to see if there was any change in their numbers, this would be a way to do it without buying something else

Old 04-23-2020, 10:05 AM

42,860 posts, read 26,322,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The big killer in this pandemic is what doctors are calling COVID Pneumonia.

I read about it here:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/o...gtype=Homepage

The gist is to use a simple ($40) "pulse oximeter" that measures the level of oxygen in your blood, which should be 94% to 100%. In the early stages of COVID Pneumonia the oxygen saturation declines but the person does not feel short of breath as in 'normal' pneumonia so people think all is well.

By the time a person feels sick enough to go to the ER, their pulse/ox is in the 50% range and bam, on a ventilator they go, where far too many die. Attending to people on ventilators places stunning workloads on hospital staffs.

The doctor who wrote the article said if they can get you in before your pulse/ox gets down to that 50% level they can keep you off a ventilator and get you recovered and out of the hospital fairly fast.

Pulse oximeters may be bought at most drugstores or online all over the internet.

My reading is consistently 98% which is very good. Daily readings take less than a minute. I keep my pulse-ox on the desk next to my keyboard. If I detect a drop in my ox levels I'll be on the phone with my Doc asap.
Thanks for posting that, we read the same article yesterday and just ordered one direct from the Manufacturer, Philips for $34.99. Amazon was pretty much sold out as was Target & Walmart & it sure looks like CVS and Walgreens increased the price.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:30 PM

930 posts, read 1,655,846 times
emm74, I have a Samsung s8 and have been curious about the pulse-ox reading, found in the "stress" portion of the app. I was reading up on it to find out how accurate it was, which is difficult since the phone is a bit on the "older" side now. What I did read is that it is fairly accurate; that some people compared the numbers to monitors at a health facility, and the heart rate was off, but the oxygen level seemed to be just fine. Mine is always pretty much in the 97-100 range.

I believe that not all Samsung phones have this capability, that it's something unique to a few versions. I would be happy to be proven wrong though!

Old 04-23-2020, 05:29 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,303,754 times
I have Samsung S9. I didn't know this was in there. Just checked it. My HR was accurate (62). My pulse ox measured 86%. I have no baseline for comparison, but my HR wouldn't be 62 if it were correct. My HR is on the slow side because I'm very active. Biked 80 miles so far this week. I know the fingerprint reader on the phone is awful, so I wouldn't expect this to be accurate, either.

Last edited by BarryK123; 04-23-2020 at 05:56 PM..

Old 04-24-2020, 04:21 PM

26,229 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Today's grim news is how COVID-19 is generating strokes in people, not just old people.

Excerpts:

"There weren’t enough doctors to treat all the emergency stroke patients ... Dr. Oxley gasped when he got to the patient’s age and covid-19 status: 44, positive. The man was among several recent stroke patients in their 30s to 40s who were all infected with the virus. The median age for that type of severe stroke is 74. ... As Dr. Oxley, an interventional neurologist, began the procedure to remove the clot, he observed something he had never seen before. ... As he used a needlelike device to pull out the clot, he saw new clots forming in real-time around it. “This is crazy,” he remembers telling his boss."

Stay the hell home if you can, protect yourself if you must go out.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:05 PM

7,194 posts, read 9,335,600 times
Quote:
Today's grim news is how COVID-19 is generating strokes in people, not just old people.

Excerpts:

"There weren’t enough doctors to treat all the emergency stroke patients ... Dr. Oxley gasped when he got to the patient’s age and covid-19 status: 44, positive. The man was among several recent stroke patients in their 30s to 40s who were all infected with the virus. The median age for that type of severe stroke is 74. ... As Dr. Oxley, an interventional neurologist, began the procedure to remove the clot, he observed something he had never seen before. ... As he used a needlelike device to pull out the clot, he saw new clots forming in real-time around it. “This is crazy,” he remembers telling his boss."

Aliens.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:35 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,716,602 times
Quote:

Excerpts:

That really does sound like something from a horror movie. As creepy as photos of guinea worms breaking out of people’s abdomens. But unlike those, COVID-19 hits in many different countries and climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado