Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2020, 08:47 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...
[FONT=&quot
If you plan on re-using your mask, it needs to be washed thoroughly, or be disinfected in some way before re-use. Be careful when you remove your mask...wash hands immediately after taking it off, don't lay your used mask on the kitchen counter, etc. [/font]
I have strongly wondered if people wearing medical masks in public are actually disposing of them and I doubt it. Have had to advise a couple of friends who bought their medical masks in January not to get too comfortable from wearing one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 03:24 PM

17,603 posts, read 13,388,503 times
Default Colorado unveils plan for how doctors will decide who receives life-saving coronavirus treatment — and who doesn’t

https://coloradosun.com/2020/04/05/c...dards-of-care/

Quote:
Here’s a hypothetical scenario that, very soon, may not be hypothetical at all in Colorado: Two patients arrive at a hospital emergency room, both gravely sick from the new coronavirus, both needing a critical-care bed.

But, in the crush of patients, there’s only one bed available. So, who gets it?

On Sunday, a special committee of Colorado doctors and public health experts unveiled their plan for how hospitals will make that decision as they fill up with patients suffering from COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

The plan spells out exactly how doctors and hospitals should implement crisis standards of care — the triage protocols that effectively prioritize treatment for some above others during times when the hospitals can’t save everybody. It takes into account how sick people are when they arrive, what underlying medical conditions they have and how many years of life they may have left.
All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this what the world is coming to?

Old 04-06-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://coloradosun.com/2020/04/05/c...dards-of-care/
All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this what the world is coming to?
No hospital system is ready for such a surge. Rural hospitals and small community hospitals haven't had to deal with it and now it's coming. Triage seems inevitable.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:14 PM

26,228 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
No hospital system is ready for such a surge. Rural hospitals and small community hospitals haven't had to deal with it and now it's coming. Triage seems inevitable.
As one who's read a lot of military histories the use of triage is a standard practice in field hospitals where mass casualties are the norm, especially in wars past. In that environment, a limited number of on-site doctors must make split second decisions on who to try and save versus the hopeless cases that will die no matter what they do. In the case of this virus, I'm sure their criteria will be to save productive young people and let us old grayhairs fade into the sunset. But the cynic in me says a rich old grayhair just might be considered worth saving over that ski dude.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
As one who's read a lot of military histories the use of triage is a standard practice in field hospitals where mass casualties are the norm, especially in wars past. In that environment, a limited number of on-site doctors must make split second decisions on who to try and save versus the hopeless cases that will die no matter what they do. In the case of this virus, I'm sure their criteria will be to save productive young people and let us old grayhairs fade into the sunset. But the cynic in me says a rich old grayhair just might be considered worth saving over that ski dude.

I've seen point systems that include age "number of years left" but other factors, including underlying conditions, likelihood of survival and I forget the rest. I do think there was supposed to be consideration of being parents of children under 18 and I that chaps me right off the bat.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:11 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Maybe it’s better to take our chances by NOT going to the hospital at all! If I’m going to die prematurely (I’m over 60 but hardly old or decrepit), I’d rather do it on my own turf and not in some crowded, noisy, hostile setting. Let the turkey vultures and other critters gain something useful from me, rather than shelling out more into a medical system so long paid into yet each year providing less and less.

I’ve been avoiding doctors and hospitals for years already. Can’t wait to see the gouging they do to patients later, to make up for revenue shortfalls from cancellation of noncritical visits during the pandemic.

If there is favoring of “fruitful” people (does this include those not intending to be parents while also not using birth control?) when overpopulation is part of the reason for such a furious rate of infection...priceless.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:47 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,408,541 times
March 5 2020 -1 with Coronavirus

April 5 2020 - 5183 with Coronavirus - 150 deaths

14th in the U.S.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:56 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,408,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Wow. I understand the WHO's definition of "airborne" (which is that the virus remains viable in droplets smaller than 5 micrometers)....
This entire time no one out there is sneezing or coughing or even clearing their throat
where I am. Whew!

PS I think the Gov is doing great - it's a tough job right now.
He instills more confidence in his demeanor than some others I can think of...that's half the job! Interesting spin -You're being paid $1200 to stay home...that's your job.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:33 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,397,550 times
Many people put in situations for critical life and death decisions DO tend to make decisions that favor those persons that are the greatest balance of acquired knowledge and child bearing age. This has been proven time and time again in numerous studies and is a built in human bias.

Triage has always been a part of mass casualty events and is necessary. The armed forces MUST do this to sustain objectives. Civilians may be offended by it, but it plays directly into the scenario above with a few additional overlays dictated by military necessity. The current population may now see the details in this and may find it callus, but its been happened for most of human existence.

Given a choice to die alone in the hospital setting being potentially denied care or at home with those whose lives are most impacted by my absence, I know what I would choose. However, it has now become a calculated gamble on if you will receive that care or not within the medical setting. This is a decision each of us may, but hopefully wont, have to make. Choose wisely.

There are a lot of overlays and conditions to be paid to stay home. It is not an automatic. The state as well as the Fed have numerous conditions that must be met. You can't simply say "I want to stay home, so pay me". Fractional pay may also happen as part of this.

One does have to wonder how much Federal assistance CO may be denied since our Governor has publicly question the current Federal administration's efforts during this time.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Given a choice to die alone in the hospital setting being potentially denied care or at home with those whose lives are most impacted by my absence, I know what I would choose. However, it has now become a calculated gamble on if you will receive that care or not within the medical setting. This is a decision each of us may, but hopefully wont, have to make. Choose wisely.

I think one problem is, if severely ill with SOB, most people are likely to call for help to a hospital. It's not like an illness where you can peacefully lie down at home and let it go. Maybe in hospital one could get palliative care, like morphine or something more acceptable than suffocating at home?

I guess, as a childfree by choice person, I don't like the idea that a parent's life is more valuable than a non-parent, other considerations aside. An old issue for me. I do think triage should be largely based on who will benefit most and survive best, and that could certainly be age-related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado