Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2020, 05:03 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,864,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
mtngigi, I'm so sorry for your loss. I do think the isolation these patients are in is heartbreaking so I'm glad your brother was able to have some communication with your niece. Not the same as being able to be with a loved one at these times, but at least there was something.

I had to yell at my own mom today. She's in her 80s and was going to go out on a completely unnecessary errand. She is bored, well, so are all of us. It's one thing to go out for a necessary trip, like having to pick something up at a store that can't be ordered for delivery although at least I get good intel from my neighborhood facebook and nextdoor groups on which stores are effectively cleaning, maintaining appropriate distances, etc. so I know where to go if I absolutely have no choice. But in this case, there was absolutely no reason to go, and even if it took me getting slightly hysterical, she finally listened to reason. My teen heard me through his closed door while doing his eschool, I hadn't realized I got quite that loud on the phone! But your story makes me glad I did.
Thank you. Yes, please do keep screaming at your mother. I cannot fathom why people are not getting it. Had my brother, (who is retired but had a part-time job he didn't need) listened to my niece 3 weeks ago to please not go to work, he might still be with us.

At my suggestion my niece asked if she could talk to him mid-week, so her and the woman he lived with were able to talk to him then and at the end. Not enough, but all anyone can do in this new reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 05:42 PM

26,231 posts, read 49,095,067 times
In the Current Events Forum there's a Coronavirus Science Thread for more serious discussion of the scientific side of this beast.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:46 PM

26,231 posts, read 49,095,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
... sign up for PO's "informed delivery" ... that way you'll know whether or not you have to go out to your mailbox.
I have it and it's cool. For those who don't know of "Informed Delivery" it's a service offered by the USPS that sends you an email each day with images of the letter mail you are about to receive that day, along with the I-D of any packages. It doesn't show certain junk mail like those Sunday newspaper inserts, or magazines or catalogs. It does show just mail if it's typical letter mail like those coupon mailers, etc. From these emails I can see if I have enough mail to make it worth a trip to the community center were all mail is delivered to a room full of mailboxes. Just sign up on line and it's a no charge service.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:12 PM

My informed delivery provides images of only "important" mail - bills, letters from my bank or insurance companies, things like that. It also notifies you of package deliveries. But I was notified today of a personal letter (a real letter ... imagine that), so that's included as well. No junk mail, circular flyers and the like are included in this service.

Now's a really good time to take advantage. The less you have to go outside and touch things, the better. Here's a link (I'm hoping it's okay to post this). Some people don't know how to find things online.

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/bo...o/start.action

Old 04-09-2020, 06:23 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,412,204 times
Quote:
....My brother was taken off his ventilator on April 6th -
I just saw this. ..I'm speechless for you...a brother...this is so so terrible. No need to write back -
my sincerest condolences. I will be thinking about this for awhile...

Old 04-11-2020, 06:05 AM

7,195 posts, read 9,339,263 times
Stay at Home Colorado Guide

https://stayathomeco.colorado.gov/

Go there to find help.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:40 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,535,255 times
My sincere condolences mtngigi.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:17 AM

Thank you otowi ... and Miss Hepburn.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:44 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,946,541 times
Quote:
I first want to thank the words of encouragement I received. I'd also like to share, so that people reading this will understand that this thing is real, and scary; it is not a hoax, the Dems aren't doing it to affect the elections or get rid of Trump.

And to remind everyone to please stop going out and about (especially if you don't have to). If you must, try and do whatever you can to protect yourself as well as everyone around you. My street is busy with walkers and bike riders. A very small percentage are wearing masks. I'm seeing parents riding bikes with their children and the whole family is mask-free. I know we all love the outdoors, but I wish everyone would just stay home and find other ways to pass the time until it's safe again. If you don't, you're making things so much worse.

My brother was taken off his ventilator on April 6th - he was not responding to the many different treatments they tried. He passed within a half-hour. It's a shock as to how quickly this happened. He was alert when the ambulance picked him up - and then was heavily sedated for the remainder of his stay.

The doctors and nurses at this hospital were wonderful to my niece (his daughter) who lives here in Colorado. Someone called her twice daily to give updates on his condition. One nurse was kind enough to use her (protected) cell phone to hold it up to his ears so my niece could talk to him. I don't believe this will be the norm when hospitals get hit the inevitable wave of patients. It's already happening. Not being able to see and/or be with loved ones who get this virus adds another level of awfulness.

Every one of us is going to get sick, or lose someone close if they don't start taking this seriously.
Oh my goodness, mtngigi. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Old 04-12-2020, 07:29 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,412,204 times
Windy enough?

I have wanted to pop over to Safeway, could walk if I wanted with a backpack, have before -
And I say, 'No. Stay home!', to myself.
So I'm making a list for maybe next week. I have been the only one with surgical gloves for a month!
I am so careful -And now always a mask, of course, too ---But just saying I am really trying to 'Stay Home".

Corona/Economy related : My neighbor bought a new VW "Atlas", huge SUV - So if you know anyone that
needs a car --0% forever, no payments for 6 months, huge trade in $, ridiculously low monthly $350.
Then, his friend - 2 days later got a new white 4 door Ford truck -SUCH good deals out there!

CO Covid cases that we know of April 11: 6893

I ordered fifty black masks Jan 30 - still haven't gotten them - they were shipped out!
No refund from Amazon at this point, don't know why. Oh well.
Wonder if a postal worker knew what they were and simply pocketed them. He would need them more -
I fig I gave a donation to the Universe.

Interesting read -Google what's happening in India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado