Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2020, 05:33 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
my understanding is that all caregivers get a preference, not just parents. So it could be a caregiver for a spouse, a parent, etc.

The idea being that you are directly benefiting more than one person in that case because the care recipient benefits as well, as opposed to that person potentially becoming reliant on the state for their care
Yes, I get that but when you get into social utility of a person's life as opposed to strictly the medical viability of the treatment for that person, slippery slope time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 07:02 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,235,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Yes, I get that but when you get into social utility of a person's life as opposed to strictly the medical viability of the treatment for that person, slippery slope time.
These are the tiebreaking factors, after things like the patient's status and likely response to treatment has been considered. If there are multiple patients with a similar current condition and similar histories that could influence their recovery and reaction to the treatment, then the move onto other factors with children, health care workers and first responders getting the highest priority.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
These are the tiebreaking factors, after things like the patient's status and likely response to treatment has been considered. If there are multiple patients with a similar current condition and similar histories that could influence their recovery and reaction to the treatment, then the move onto other factors with children, health care workers and first responders getting the highest priority.
Thank you for the clarification.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:20 PM

2,887 posts, read 7,139,514 times
Quote:
IIRC, you're a lawyer for the medical field - just curious - have you been involved in developing these standards, and dealing with other issues in this crisis?

Old 04-08-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
IIRC, you're a lawyer for the medical field - just curious - have you been involved in developing these standards, and dealing with other issues in this crisis?
No, my institution doesn't provide the types of services that require this type of assessment

Old 04-09-2020, 02:01 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,863,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
It's been real to me, but even more so now. My older brother is in the hospital and it's not looking good. There is no degree of separation. Maybe that's what some people will have to go through before they understand the seriousness of the situation. I sure do.
I first want to thank the words of encouragement I received. I'd also like to share, so that people reading this will understand that this thing is real, and scary; it is not a hoax, the Dems aren't doing it to affect the elections or get rid of Trump.

And to remind everyone to please stop going out and about (especially if you don't have to). If you must, try and do whatever you can to protect yourself as well as everyone around you. My street is busy with walkers and bike riders. A very small percentage are wearing masks. I'm seeing parents riding bikes with their children and the whole family is mask-free. I know we all love the outdoors, but I wish everyone would just stay home and find other ways to pass the time until it's safe again. If you don't, you're making things so much worse.

My brother was taken off his ventilator on April 6th - he was not responding to the many different treatments they tried. He passed within a half-hour. It's a shock as to how quickly this happened. He was alert when the ambulance picked him up - and then was heavily sedated for the remainder of his stay.

The doctors and nurses at this hospital were wonderful to my niece (his daughter) who lives here in Colorado. Someone called her twice daily to give updates on his condition. One nurse was kind enough to use her (protected) cell phone to hold it up to his ears so my niece could talk to him. I don't believe this will be the norm when hospitals get hit the inevitable wave of patients. It's already happening. Not being able to see and/or be with loved ones who get this virus adds another level of awfulness.

Every one of us is going to get sick, or lose someone close if they don't start taking this seriously.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
My brother was taken off his ventilator on April 6th - he was not responding to the many different treatments they tried. He passed within a half-hour. It's a shock as to how quickly this happened...

The doctors and nurses at this hospital were wonderful to my niece (his daughter) who lives here in Colorado. ...
Every one of us is going to get sick, or lose someone close if they don't start taking this seriously.

I am so sorry for your loss. I'm sure the medical workers were at peace with being able to do the job they know they're capable of at such a time. Thank you for remembering their contribution at this time.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:28 PM

26,226 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Truly sorry to hear of his passing; a tragedy being repeated thousands of times lately. I never leave the house these days but to get the mail and will be able to stay in for as long as Kroger delivers.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:52 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,863,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Truly sorry to hear of his passing; a tragedy being repeated thousands of times lately. I never leave the house these days but to get the mail and will be able to stay in for as long as Kroger delivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I am so sorry for your loss. I'm sure the medical workers were at peace with being able to do the job they know they're capable of at such a time. Thank you for remembering their contribution at this time.
Thank you both.

@Mike - those numbers being repeated every day are precisely why people need to sit up and take notice. The rapidity in which this spreads in insane. I believe these numbers would be lower if every stayed put. And Mike, sign up for PO's "informed delivery" ... that way you'll know whether or not you have to go out to your mailbox.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:22 PM

mtngigi, I'm so sorry for your loss. I do think the isolation these patients are in is heartbreaking so I'm glad your brother was able to have some communication with your niece. Not the same as being able to be with a loved one at these times, but at least there was something.

I had to yell at my own mom today. She's in her 80s and was going to go out on a completely unnecessary errand. She is bored, well, so are all of us. It's one thing to go out for a necessary trip, like having to pick something up at a store that can't be ordered for delivery although at least I get good intel from my neighborhood facebook and nextdoor groups on which stores are effectively cleaning, maintaining appropriate distances, etc. so I know where to go if I absolutely have no choice. But in this case, there was absolutely no reason to go, and even if it took me getting slightly hysterical, she finally listened to reason. My teen heard me through his closed door while doing his eschool, I hadn't realized I got quite that loud on the phone! But your story makes me glad I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado