Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2020, 12:30 PM

8,607 posts, read 14,908,526 times

Advertisements

So sorry for your loss mtngigi.

A high school classmate of mine (in his mid-40s) was sedated and on a vent for nearly a week with COVID-19. He was was one of the lucky ones. They weened him off the vent on Friday. He's got a long road to recovery ahead of him.

The volume of stupid, off-the-wall s*&t that people are sharing on social media is astounding (and growing by the day). One of the more moronic anti-lockdown videos being shared is from a "Dr. Knut Wittkowski." He's being passed off as an expert in epidemiology, and he's not even a damn medical doctor. He's got a PhD in statistics. I swear stupidity/ignorance and the lack of critical thinking will do more damage to this country than COVID-19 and the lockdown will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 01:14 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,863,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
So sorry for your loss mtngigi.

A high school classmate of mine (in his mid-40s) was sedated and on a vent for nearly a week with COVID-19. He was was one of the lucky ones. They weened him off the vent on Friday. He's got a long road to recovery ahead of him.

The volume of stupid, off-the-wall s*&t that people are sharing on social media is astounding (and growing by the day). One of the more moronic anti-lockdown videos being shared is from a "Dr. Knut Wittkowski." He's being passed off as an expert in epidemiology, and he's not even a damn medical doctor. He's got a PhD in statistics. I swear stupidity/ignorance and the lack of critical thinking will do more damage to this country than COVID-19 and the lockdown will.
My brother was 79 so he was at a higher risk, but he was in good health. What contributed to his fight with Covid were his scarred lungs, even though he quit smoking years ago. This virus is a beast. It's good to hear that your friend made it through ... I am hearing that it's not smooth sailing in the aftermath of this virus.

Hey, we have a president who thinks he's a medical expert and knows more that Dr. Fauci. Dr. Fauci is doing such a poor job that our president may fire him. Everyone is an expert. Unfortunately, some people believe everything they read and hear, no matter how outrageous.

Old 04-18-2020, 12:04 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,947,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
Thank you, Colorado Rambler.

One of the reasons for my post was that I want people to know that many of us are going to "know" someone with the virus who lost the battle. I realize regular posters on the CS forum don't know each other in real life, but I believe we do become "forum friends". My hope is that "knowing" someone who lost a loved one will give pause to everyone; so that they truly take care if they have to venture outside of their homes. This is how (and probably the only way) we're going to get this virus under manageable control.

Most times I think bad things won't happen to me. Now I know different; now you all "know" someone too. Please be very, very careful. I keep saying it, but it bears repeating. We have now surpassed every other country in the world.
This virus is deadly serious. It's got numerous ways to kill you and if you have High BP, diabetes, any sort of cardiac issues, even obesity, it can permanently damage heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, etc.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...dy-brain-toes#

This is really nasty stuff and nothing to fool around with.

Old 04-18-2020, 03:49 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,863,098 times
I'm pretty sure my brother's lungs are what made it impossible for him to recover from Covid-19. Even though he quit smoking years ago, his lungs were badly scarred. First it hit his lungs, and then his other organs shut down one by one, in rapid succession. It happened so quickly it was frightening. Aside from his lungs, he was in reasonably good health.

There continue to be many who think information about this virus is being over-exaggerated ... I know first hand that it is not.

ETA: Just realized I'm repeating myself with this info ... so apologies. But then again, maybe it bears repeating.

Last edited by mtngigi; 04-18-2020 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Added ETA

Old 04-19-2020, 05:54 PM

19,829 posts, read 9,392,703 times
I have given up trying to follow the deaths in Colorado by day because sometimes the numbers change a couple of times a day -- and I am talking HISTORY -- not current for the day.

Just to give one example, yesterday, the death totals for the past three days in Colorado were 41 (after being changed TWICE). NOW, these totals for those days 421, 421, 422 (and still showing 422 for today). I would LOVE to know what in heck is going on with the Colorado Department of Public Health! The only thing I do know about this specific issue is that I personally don't trust our government AT ALL!

https://covid19.colorado.gov/case-data

Old 04-19-2020, 11:19 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,212,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I have given up trying to follow the deaths in Colorado by day because sometimes the numbers change a couple of times a day -- and I am talking HISTORY -- not current for the day.

Just to give one example, yesterday, the death totals for the past three days in Colorado were 41 (after being changed TWICE). NOW, these totals for those days 421, 421, 422 (and still showing 422 for today). I would LOVE to know what in heck is going on with the Colorado Department of Public Health! The only thing I do know about this specific issue is that I personally don't trust our government AT ALL!

https://covid19.colorado.gov/case-data
Perhaps you were expecting more people to die in CO. Understandable given the fact that Polis has not released his overkill lockdown order despite the fact deaths and hospitalizations peaked 3 weeks ago and it has been obvious for at least two weeks that CO hospitals were not in any danger of being overwhelmed (the basis for the order). Fun fact:6,300 people die in an average month in Colorado.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:09 AM

19,829 posts, read 9,392,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Perhaps you were expecting more people to die in CO. Understandable given the fact that Polis has not released his overkill lockdown order despite the fact deaths and hospitalizations peaked 3 weeks ago and it has been obvious for at least two weeks that CO hospitals were not in any danger of being overwhelmed (the basis for the order). Fun fact:6,300 people die in an average month in Colorado.
Thank for answering! It seems that many people in Colorado don't truly care about the situation.

And, yes, I was expecting more deaths, but the point is that if so few people are dying from this in Colorado, then in my opinion, Polis needs to "release" the state on a very cautious basis. For example, continue to limit gatherings of more than 100 people, and then if there is not dozens of deaths within two weeks as a result, expand the limit to 1,000 people. If people are in a high risk group (I'm a senior, btw), they can continue to avoid any kind of crowd until they decide for themselves when to stop isolating themselves.

I am not saying that relatively few deaths are unimportant, but I think it is a question of balance and acceptable risk.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:29 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,583,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post

Old 04-21-2020, 03:16 PM

26,226 posts, read 49,085,600 times
The big killer in this pandemic is what doctors are calling COVID Pneumonia.

I read about it here:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/o...gtype=Homepage

The gist is to use a simple ($40) "pulse oximeter" that measures the level of oxygen in your blood, which should be 94% to 100%. In the early stages of COVID Pneumonia the oxygen saturation declines but the person does not feel short of breath as in 'normal' pneumonia so people think all is well.

By the time a person feels sick enough to go to the ER, their pulse/ox is in the 50% range and bam, on a ventilator they go, where far too many die. Attending to people on ventilators places stunning workloads on hospital staffs.

The doctor who wrote the article said if they can get you in before your pulse/ox gets down to that 50% level they can keep you off a ventilator and get you recovered and out of the hospital fairly fast.

Pulse oximeters may be bought at most drugstores or online all over the internet.

My reading is consistently 98% which is very good. Daily readings take less than a minute. I keep my pulse-ox on the desk next to my keyboard. If I detect a drop in my ox levels I'll be on the phone with my Doc asap.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:21 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,303,754 times
Pulse ox normal in Denver is around 95%. In the mountains, can be in the 90% range normally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado