Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 10:40 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_coli View Post
The thing that stuck out to me was how the lines of Notre Dame - which I thought were a strength - were simply shoved around by Alabama. I was particularly surprised by the defensive penetration of Alabama's defensive line and by the coverage. For the second year in a row, Alabama put on a coverage and open-field tackling clinic. I also was surprised at how much of a non-factor Teo was. Don't get me wrong, I think Teo will be a good LB in the pros, but the defense overall was just beaten up on the lines. And that's just what the top one or two S-E-C schools do.
Well Notre Dame had been getting by in a "bend but don't break" defensive philosophy for most of the year because we're simply not deep enough nor do we have enough 4/5 stars spread out over our starting 11 to play "crush your soul" defense like Alabama does. We relied on strong tackling and limiting big plays and forcing teams to have perfect drives to score on us. Most college football teams can't play perfectly 5 of 6 plays in a row much less a 10 play drive covering 80 yards. Well Alabama played perfectly last night.

We have the #1 recruiting class coming in and we're reloading with more talented players than we are losing for the most part. Te'o will be difficult to replace but we have a lot of 4/5 star talent coming into South Bend plus we have a fair share of returning starters so our future is still bright. We were about a year ahead of schedule making into the MNC this year as it is and we showed that we're close but we're not at the level of the upper tier of the SEC just yet. Losing to Alabama doesn't discredit what a tremendous season we had.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Well, you're perfectly free to go rub that point in on the Education forum. Otherwise, this is just pure hating.
<looks at the thread title>

<looks at your comments about hating>

Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What do U.S. News college rankings have to do with football?

To paraphrase Jack Welch...

"Can't play football. Change the subject."
I actually don't give a crap if the SEC wins every game for the next 10 years.

But if you want to run around bragging about your universities because of their sports programs and make fun of other schools because of theirs (like Vandy) then you've kinda thrown down the gauntlet now haven't you?

Imagine if the Lions had won the Superbowl last year and someone started talking about how Detroit is the greatest? Nah, nobody would laugh their butts off at that one.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:19 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Behind............

Alabama
Georgia
Florida
LSU
Texas A&M
South Carolina

And maybe the 8th best, if they had to play Vanderbilt in Nashville.
ND wouldn't have the guts to schedule vandy at vandy, afterall, they get to play 8 of 12 games at home every year, and in the recent past it's even been 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, those 3 are good....isn't it funny though that SEC people are making fun of Vandy though in threads like these?

I really don't even know why there is an argument. I think we all agree that the SEC has been a dominant sports conference but come on...academically they aren't anywhere the league of say...the Big10 academically where only Vandy would be in the upper 1/2 or so.
yeah, b/c this is why people tune into college football

who gives a crap?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:29 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
But if you want to run around bragging about your universities because of their sports programs and make fun of other schools because of theirs (like Vandy) then you've kinda thrown down the gauntlet now haven't you?
No, that makes no sense at all. That's a very knee-jerk, butt-hurt way to react. It's like threads in the City-v-City forum where one city "loses" according to the criteria established in the OP. The boosters of the city that lost invariably say something like "Fine, you can keep your stupid museums, diversity and subways, but at least I don't have to live in a city with awful weather filled with crime ridden housing projects!"

Quote:
Imagine if the Lions had won the Superbowl last year and someone started talking about how Detroit is the greatest? Nah, nobody would laugh their butts off at that one.
Please feel free to direct me to the posts where someone claims that a specific school is superior to another on the basis of a football program. Saying that SEC football is superior to ____ Conference football is completely different from saying that SEC schools overall are superior as a result of having better football programs.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:36 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
National University | Rankings | Data | US News

Vandy is the only 1 in the top 50.

The Big-10 has about 1/2 dozen.

Notre Dame is #17, Alabama.....um....they only rank the top 199....sorry.

P.S. I actually really hate ND, I just think the thread is funny.
Nice lack of research on your part. PUBLIC universities.

Top Public Schools | Rankings | Top National Universities | US News

Old 01-08-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Nice lack of research on your part. PUBLIC universities.

Top Public Schools | Rankings | Top National Universities | US News
Yeah, but that excludes schools that are in the various conferences....ah, of course that's why you want to use the list that removes some of the best schools.

But for arguments sake, we can go ahead and use your list....I passed 4 big 10 schools before I saw the first SEC school.

This is like watching a Big 10 fan trying to argue that their football teams are a match for the SEC's. Waterboard those stats and rankings some more....make them tell the story you want to hear.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 PM

18,209 posts, read 25,843,605 times
Um, I think all the votes are in on this thread. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football