Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:21 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,191,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, at least they have that. Otherwise you have a collection of mostly sub-par 6-year drinking schools.

Threads like these are like that one buddy that brags about the $800 stereo he had put in his $600 car.

I completely agree that the SEC has a great stereo.
That's the kind of lame, whiny nonsense people say when SEC teams kick ass on the football field. In the U.S.N.&W.R. rankings of top Public Universities, the SEC has 7 in the top 50 -- or 14%. That's the same as the Big 10 and better than the Pac10.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 AM

518 posts, read 406,992 times
The thing that stuck out to me was how the lines of Notre Dame - which I thought were a strength - were simply shoved around by Alabama. I was particularly surprised by the defensive penetration of Alabama's defensive line and by the coverage. For the second year in a row, Alabama put on a coverage and open-field tackling clinic. I also was surprised at how much of a non-factor Teo was. Don't get me wrong, I think Teo will be a good LB in the pros, but the defense overall was just beaten up on the lines. And that's just what the top one or two S-E-C schools do.

Normally, I think S-E-C schools' fans are content to chuckle a bit, chant "S-E-C," and move on to the spring recruiting season, but they're going to rub this one in for a while after listening to all of the butt hurt and derogatory comments after the BCS season last year.

"OMFG, two schools from the SEC playing in a title game - that's just an outrage."

"The S-E-C is just nothing but media hype."

"It's easy to win titles when you play only other S-E-C teams"

Anyone called the waaaaaaambulance?!

I had thought ND and Alabama would be somewhat even in this game, but I started to change my perception after the Cotton Bowl and after watching, of all things, the Compass Bowl. Those two games made it clear that LSU's loss (which really was aided by horrible officiating and just bad offensive play calling) to Clemson was not really the key indicator of the SEC's strength. Ole Miss had absolutely no trouble scoring on a Pitt team that had controlled ND's offense for much of the game and nearly beat them....Ole Miss. lol!

I think one or two Big12'ers mocked me when I pointed out how well A&M's defense played against Alabama, saying something to the effect that they were pretty pedestrian when they were in the big twelve. Well what happens? A&M's defense goes out and controls OU. Like I was saying, for all of the talk about Johnny Football, A&M has a pretty good defense too. I know people are gonna say UF and LSU were the higher ranked SEC schools, but A&M was clearly the number two team in the conference (maybe Georgia) down the stretch. They do have a freshman at QB and a new offensive system, after all. My bottom line is, the top two or three SEC schools are usually going to be too much for the schools from other conferences to handle. Obviously, there will be the occasional upset, but in terms of averages, SEC schools are just too dominant. And the reason why S-E-C teams deserve to be ranked in the top five or ten is because it's the hardest conference to win. And now after last night, and after this past weekend, that's just too obvious to be called a media-driven conspiracy anymore. Last night just made a huge argument for a one-loss SEC school getting preferential treatment over an undefeated team from another conference. I think 2013's BCS season is going to produce some serious butt hurt.

Last edited by e_coli; 01-08-2013 at 08:40 AM..

Old 01-08-2013, 08:37 AM

78,477 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
That's the kind of lame, whiny nonsense people say when SEC teams kick ass on the football field. In the U.S.N.&W.R. rankings of top Public Universities, the SEC has 7 in the top 50 -- or 14%. That's the same as the Big 10 and better than the Pac10.
National University | Rankings | Data | US News

Vandy is the only 1 in the top 50.

The Big-10 has about 1/2 dozen.

Notre Dame is #17, Alabama.....um....they only rank the top 199....sorry.

P.S. I actually really hate ND, I just think the thread is funny.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Vandy, Florida and TAMU are all great academic schools!

(Imma LSU fan...I have a thousand dollar stereo in my $4oo car...)

hee hee...
Yeah, those 3 are good....isn't it funny though that SEC people are making fun of Vandy though in threads like these?

I really don't even know why there is an argument. I think we all agree that the SEC has been a dominant sports conference but come on...academically they aren't anywhere the league of say...the Big10 academically where only Vandy would be in the upper 1/2 or so.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:43 AM

I'd like to point out that ND hasn't beaten a ranked team in a bowl game since 1994. Ouch.....

Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 AM

518 posts, read 406,992 times
Quote:
Yeah, those 3 are good....isn't it funny though that SEC people are making fun of Vandy though in threads like these?

I really don't even know why there is an argument. I think we all agree that the SEC has been a dominant sports conference but come on...academically they aren't anywhere the league of say...the Big10 academically where only Vandy would be in the upper 1/2 or so.
You're moving from a discussion that is largely objective - which conference has the best football teams - to one that is largely subjective. I agree that there are some fine academic programs in the Big 10, but seriously, this is one of the saddest and most pathetic thread-jacks I've seen in some time. I won't deny the fact that the South is just not as academic a culture as the rest of the country, but the schools are actually well-funded and based on much of what I have read, the programs at larger flagship universities in the South have improved dramatically, as have their academic reputations. Moreover, some of the post-undergraduate programs are extremely competitive. Your chances of getting into UF or UGA law school are about as good as trying to get into that of Ohio State, Minnesota, Illinois, or other elite law programs. I'm sure the same is true of their graduate/doctoral programs as well.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:47 AM

20,476 posts, read 12,398,694 times
Quote:

yea but my LSU car runs on straight grain alcohol? LOL.

There is no question that the SEC is not a match when it comes to academics. HOWEVER picking up
Missouri and TAMU were indications that the SEC recognizes the need to “shape up” on the academic front. That much has been stated.

The good news is that SEC Football is generating mega $$$$ and that will impact academics over time. BUT the SEC has a lot of catching up to do.

That being said, on any given Saturday it sure is fun to chant SEC-SEC-SEC!!!!!!!!

Old 01-08-2013, 09:50 AM

20,476 posts, read 12,398,694 times
Back to Football... SEC SEC SEC!

Let me just say that IHATEYOUNICKSABEN!!!!!!!!!!

Not as much as I hate ND but still....

Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
What do U.S. News college rankings have to do with football?

To paraphrase Jack Welch...

"Can't play football. Change the subject."

Old 01-08-2013, 10:00 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Well, at least they have that. Otherwise you have a collection of mostly sub-par 6-year drinking schools.

Threads like these are like that one buddy that brags about the $800 stereo he had put in his $600 car.

I completely agree that the SEC has a great stereo.
Well, you're perfectly free to go rub that point in on the Education forum. Otherwise, this is just pure hating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football