Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 12:18 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times

Advertisements

Crime dropped in 2014

The Daily Reflector
  • 13.7 percent decrease in incidents of violent crime in 2014
  • 478 violent crimes in 2014 compared to 554 the year before.
  • 20-year-low in the number of homicides. Four people were killed in the city in 2014, the fewest since 1995
  • Rapes dropped from 20 to 14 or 30 percent
  • Robberies from 175 to 144 or 17.7 percent
  • Aggravated assaults from 352 to 316, or 10.2 percent
  • Historic low in fatal crashes in the city: Zero.
  • Property crimes dropped 4.6 percent, from 3,862 in 2013 to 3,683 in 2014
  • Larcenies increased 7.8 percent, due to new big-box stores in town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 06:18 PM

144 posts, read 189,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
That's what I was thinking. They would probably need the block east of that parcel, which is mostly owned by Pitt County. It would be great if they could get the USPS on board too and redevelop all 3 blocks.

But I think it will be a GRAVE mistake if the Pitt County Government offices move away from downtown. I understand government offices don't pay taxes, but they bring 1000s of people to uptown daily, which will spark more retail/restaurant etc growth.
The block Pitt County owns across the street just makes the idea that much better. Besides sweetening the deal, doubling the size, given there is demand to support it, would make that part of downtown that much more of a magnet for further development. The office space would still need to have street level retail, entertainment, restaurants, or anything else that would attract people downtown. It would also be really cool if one of the TV stations set up their studio overlooking a well designed and active (programmed) Town Common.

I'd love to post the Storey Park photos for people to see and get excited about, but from what I've read I'd need their permission to do so. If you haven't seen them, take a look. That kind of development would change Greenville's image, without a doubt.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:22 PM

155 posts, read 235,204 times
You're right JPirate. TJ Sawyer and his wife own EC Cats and are building the trampoline park too.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:51 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
The block Pitt County owns across the street just makes the idea that much better. Besides sweetening the deal, doubling the size, given there is demand to support it, would make that part of downtown that much more of a magnet for further development. The office space would still need to have street level retail, entertainment, restaurants, or anything else that would attract people downtown. It would also be really cool if one of the TV stations set up their studio overlooking a well designed and active (programmed) Town Common.

I'd love to post the Storey Park photos for people to see and get excited about, but from what I've read I'd need their permission to do so. If you haven't seen them, take a look. That kind of development would change Greenville's image, without a doubt.
Ohh how much I want the bolded portion. I really hoped WITN would have done that, before their new digs on Arlington.

It really would be a positive thing to have WNCT/WCTI to move uptown. Along with the major radio stations (WNCT etc) and at least the reporter side of The Daily Reflector. To have media reporting from Uptown would help immensely in the marketing.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:10 AM

455 posts, read 528,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Ohh how much I want the bolded portion. I really hoped WITN would have done that, before their new digs on Arlington.

It really would be a positive thing to have WNCT/WCTI to move uptown. Along with the major radio stations (WNCT etc) and at least the reporter side of The Daily Reflector. To have media reporting from Uptown would help immensely in the marketing.
WITN completely whiffed on that opportunity. With WNCT taking over the reigns for ECU athletics they could further cement their "flag ship" status for Greenville moving Uptown.

It is great to see the Ward group purchasing and hopefully developing more property. The stone seems to be perched just at the top of the hill. We need one more good kick to get that thing rolling down hill.

What is the status of the Transportation hub, the community theater, and the hotel for Uptown?

Old 01-15-2015, 02:27 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
WITN completely whiffed on that opportunity.

Nobody struck out on a bigger opportunity to develop the waterfront than the city when they did not put the convention center downtown. We'd already have hotels and solid development downtown if the city had used common sense 25 years ago: the river, downtown, and ECU are all right together, and the airport is nearby. How could the city not see the benefits of a downtown convention center?! But hey, it's worked out great for the group that owns the Hilton, the Hampton Inn, and the City Hotel.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:07 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Nobody struck out on a bigger opportunity to develop the waterfront than the city when they did not put the convention center downtown. We'd already have hotels and solid development downtown if the city had used common sense 25 years ago: the river, downtown, and ECU are all right together, and the airport is nearby. How could the city not see the benefits of a downtown convention center?! But hey, it's worked out great for the group that owns the Hilton, the Hampton Inn, and the City Hotel.
Great point and I agree. Pretty much every large city in NC has a convention center in their downtown area. How feasible do we think that a small convention/events center could be built downtown? I don't think the GCC people would run it, but maybe another group could build & run it. Space is limited, but I think a small convention center could work. City Hotel & bistro's center is a little over 4000 sq ft. I think something with that size or a bit smaller could work.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:59 PM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
Not sure I see the need for two convention centers in Greenville to be honest.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:08 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Not sure I see the need for two convention centers in Greenville to be honest.
yea, I somewhat agree. The only thing I would say is that not every event will need the size of the current convention center.

I know that the American Tobacco Campus has an event space called Bay 7 that is pretty popular.

American Tobacco Campus Web Site

Maybe a space like that would be nice on Dickinson once that's starting to grow more.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:34 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
Something is being built beside the WilcoHess at Allen and Dickinson (on the Allen Rd side). No indication of what it will be.

And the Pita Pit downtown closed and will be replaced with:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina