Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 05:16 PM

54 posts, read 75,584 times

Advertisements

Maybe this can be a start of some more attractions downtown. I have always thought we needed to look at the wilmington model of how to make downtown work, but they have much more vacationers and tourists and the water makes it work. Looking at Durham would be the way to go IMO. Or Athens, GA or Asheville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 06:26 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
Carl (MrBoj here) finally supports something that involves people actually parking downtown! I see in today's DR that he is in favor of the parking garage.

Way to go Boj! You have some common sense after all. Maybe enough to comprehend that projects like the Evans St gateway do nothing but prevent cars from getting to the garage to begin with.
Quote:
He has to be Carl Rees or at least someone in the planning office.

The fact that he supports the cockamamie crap that Carl comes up with points to Carl specifically.
Dude, you need to lay off the crack pipe. I am not this Carl person, nor anyone in the government.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:28 PM

286 posts, read 653,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Dude, you need to lay off the crack pipe. I am not this Carl person, nor anyone in the government.
Sure, if you say so.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvllepirate View Post
Maybe this can be a start of some more attractions downtown. I have always thought we needed to look at the wilmington model of how to make downtown work, but they have much more vacationers and tourists and the water makes it work. Looking at Durham would be the way to go IMO. Or Athens, GA or Asheville.
I would look at Durham as a good example. We are also a tobacco town, though not nearly as large.

Asheville has the built-in hippie population supporting their downtown... we don't have that (thank goodness).

Old 08-07-2012, 06:40 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,206 times
Quote:
Sure, if you say so.
Then PLEASE email this Carl person/"me". That will be funny.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:46 PM

The fact that you know almost everything submitted to the planning office (before it is truly released to the public) yet pretend not to know even the first names of the staff there speaks volumes. Thou doth protest too much, methinks.

To others - if it seems that I have a vendetta, it's because I personally can't stand the man. All the pet projects he wastes our tax money on and moronic ideas that he purports will "save" downtown are infuriating to anyone who actually pays attention to our city government. The only person worse is Marion Blackburn.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:35 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
This is such a familiar argument, I remember on another site I was accused of being another member frequently when I really wasn't. So maybe he isn't this Carl guy and just supports most of what he does, but that's just my guess. Anyways, I'm glad that progress is being made for a garage.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:42 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
Great news, that I didn't expect to happen so quickly:

The Daily Reflector

Greenville connects to Amtrak

"Starting this fall, Amtrak shuttle buses will come to Greenville to connect eastern North Carolina with high-speed passenger rail service nationwide, the federal train operator announced Monday."

For more information on "Thruway Service" here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amtrak_Thruway_Motorcoach

I'd probably never use this shuttle although I use Amtrak frequently, but nevertheless it's positive news for Greenville and East Carolina as a whole. It seems like a lot more progress is being achieved under the new mayor, I'm not sure if it's just good timing or not but I applaud his efforts.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:59 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvllepirate View Post
All those towns have historically significant architecture and preservation groups who got the ear of the powers that be. Athens consolidated their city and county governments to boost their numbers; it's roughly the same size, if not slightly smaller than Greenville. And just as sprawly.

Greenville's big problem is too much of downtown is taken up by parking lots. Multistory garages open up a lot more room for new construction downtown. Expanding bus service would help too. There's no excuse when Boone, a town even when school's in session is a third the size of Greenville, has a larger bus service for free, that Greenville can't do more. Doesn't have to be free, but more routes and stops and later operating hours would help tremendously.

Unlike Asheville or Wilmington or Durham to a lesser extent, there aren't any geographic impediments to sprawl, so there has to be a compelling reason to go downtown besides gettin' drunk and going to court.

Quote:
Asheville has the built-in hippie population supporting their downtown... we don't have that (thank goodness).
The hippie thing is over-exaggerated, and out of date. Downtown Asheville is more overrun by yuppies, tourists, and retirees these days.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:24 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Greenville's big problem is too much of downtown is taken up by parking lots. Multistory garages open up a lot more room for new construction downtown. Expanding bus service would help too. There's no excuse when Boone, a town even when school's in session is a third the size of Greenville, has a larger bus service for free, that Greenville can't do more. Doesn't have to be free, but more routes and stops and later operating hours would help tremendously.
I have a couple of thoughts about this paragraph...

I do agree that there does seem to be a whole lot of parking lots downtown. I was just looking at Google maps and it seems like there's more parking lots than anything elsse downtown.

I don't know if it's a good idea to expand the bus service later into the night as long as these robberies keep happening. I don't have an answer to the robberies problem but they really need to get a handle on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina