Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 05:27 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,061 times

Advertisements

New Georgetown Commons at East Carolina rendering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 02:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,974 times
Hi everyone, Thanks for this amazing thread. I've been checking in every few weeks this spring, and it's been a great source of information.

I'm moving to Greenville in the fall to start as an ECU professor of education--my first job out of grad school. I'm in the Bay Area in California right now, but I previously taught 6th grade in Rocky Mount, so I know the region a bit. I'd like to walk or bike to campus, and I like slightly denser areas and historic downtowns...or at least walkable downtowns with some restaurants. It seems like uptown Greenville has a ways to go but is moving in that direction. I work in history and social studies education, and I'd like to use my work to contribute to the community and to that development.

I'm looking at homes in the Tar River / University neighborhood, but they are few and far between. I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of people in this thread. Is that neighborhood a decent bet? Are there any other neighborhoods I should be looking at? I'm a 31 year old guy and single, so I'm pretty flexible. Thanks for any advice.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:23 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlucas View Post
I'm looking at homes in the Tar River / University neighborhood, but they are few and far between. I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of people in this thread. Is that neighborhood a decent bet? Are there any other neighborhoods I should be looking at? I'm a 31 year old guy and single, so I'm pretty flexible. Thanks for any advice.
There are plenty of people to give advice but you'll need to start your own thread. This thread is dedicated to Greenville Area Developments only. Sorry.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:30 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,711 times
Quote:
East Rock Springs Road, south of 14th, is to be closed. It is owned by ECU, but they don't have any immediate plans for it.
What about all those houses on that street...does ECU own them as well now?

Quote:
NCDOT is also going to landscape the roundabout at Portertown Road.
Just mowing the damn grass would be a good start. It's getting out of control around the outsides of the roundabout. Looks horrible.

Also - that old Overton's grocery store area just needs to be rezoned to a residential area & bulldozed. Unk's was nothing but problems for the city & there shouldn't be any businesses randomly there anyway. Christy's Euro Pub can stay if it so wishes, it's the size of a sardine can anyway.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:46 AM

286 posts, read 653,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
What about all those houses on that street...does ECU own them as well now?
Haven't they all been bulldozed?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:40 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
Haven't they all been bulldozed?
Yeah, I don't think there is anything there. It is pretty much used only as parking. This will remove the "state road" status, and give complete control back to ECU.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:19 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,763,824 times
The Children's Hospital looks great at night from the street! Those blue walls just jump out at you!

Old 05-03-2013, 02:33 PM

893 posts, read 1,342,711 times
the old Stadium Cleaners has been torn down today...or at least today is the first time I've noticed an excavator next to it & it in a heap of rubble. Thanks ECU! That place was an eye sore.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:17 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,763,824 times
It's a good time to be in the Greenville rubble industry!

Old 05-03-2013, 04:15 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,131 times
In a news release I got off of Facebook, TD Goodwin Construction announces:

Beginning May of 2013: A new 10,000 Square Foot facility for Greenville Awning & Neon. The building will be located across from the new Walmart on Hwy. 33 East. Construction includes the full renovation of an existing 4,000 SF building and the addition of a new 6,000 SF building. We feel very fortunate to be part of such an exciting project here in Greenville, NC.
Attached Thumbnails
Greenville Area Developments-greenville-awning-neon.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina