Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2017, 02:06 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I've said this before and it's politically incorrect but only poor people ride the bus in Greenville. Nobody in their right mind with a running car would ride it.

But that said I don't understand the lack of Sunday bus service. Those folks want to get around then too.
As someone who lived in Greenville, I understand the importance and status symbol of owning a personal vehicle. Throughout my high school years, I can’t remember once riding the GREAT bus, and in-fact, I only rode it once thought my entire life living there that I remember. That being said, we must change the idea of what it represents to ride the GREAT bus. I have proposed a few initiatives to not only boost ridership of the GREAT bus, but also provide a more connected experience.

•For high schoolers in Greenville and Winterville, allow for the school ID to be used for free rides in the bus. Not only will this make it so that these teenagers won’t need a vehicle to get around Greenville, but also increases social mobility for least fortunate of students will have the opportunity to work in other parts of the city that only those with a car can get to.

•Park and Ride. People can park their vehicle, and just hop on the bus to get to their workplace, the bar, or wherever they hope to go. I’d say this needs to be free to encourage people to use it.

•An app that rewards using GREAT bus. In coordination with local restaurants, we can offer an app or some sort of promotion for those who have used the bus today to receive discounted food and/or drinks.

When I move back down there this month, I do intend on riding the GREAT bus a few times to get a better feel of what improvements can be made. But as someone else said here before: most of this nation is car-dependent, not just the South. Greenville, with her congestion issues, will need to be on the forefront in regards to making our bus system more friendly to the use of our citizens regardless of class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 02:14 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
Point 1 is not too bad I suppose, however even with its best intentions I bet it will turn the bus system into a dangerous place to be.

Point 2 why would anyone want to park and ride when they can have their car right there? I didn't even park and ride when I went to ECU. I leased a private space across the street from the building my classes were in. I could pull up at :50 and be sitting in class when it started on the hour. I don't want to **** away hours of my time waiting for a bus to take me to my car.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Point 1 is not too bad I suppose, however even with its best intentions I bet it will turn the bus system into a dangerous place to be.

Point 2 why would anyone want to park and ride when they can have their car right there? I didn't even park and ride when I went to ECU. I leased a private space across the street from the building my classes were in. I could pull up at :50 and be sitting in class when it started on the hour. I don't want to **** away hours of my time waiting for a bus to take me to my car.
I may have said this to you before on this site, but your view of the youth is not only pessimistic and problematic but also not conducive to their growth. As I’ve said many post back, the young folk aren’t out showing degenerate behavior because they want to be cool, but because there is nothing to do and their economic situation is bleak. We must seriously invest in them as opposed to writing them off so quickly — these kids and teenagers are the future our city. I am willing to go wherever, whenever to speak to our youth about the future we hope to create, their part that future, and how we can work together to achieve it. I guarantee you GarnetAndBlack, if you were to ask one of these young folk that I assume you’re so afraid what their vision is for a better community and they’d say offering more jobs, having more fun activities, and so on as opposed to saying we want more guns, and drugs in the way you think they do. Stop writing them off.

That being said; regarding point 2, I’ve already suggested an incentive program to get more people on the bus. Personally, if GREAT would give me 20% off of Ernie’s for riding the bus, I would defintely do it! Fortunately, you’re not everybody though. I know many, many ECU students who park off-campus and use the shuttle to get to campus. In your case, you enjoy using your car, in the case of the people I am scouting, they’ll be interested in reducing their carbon-footprint, getting cheaper food, and saving some gas all along the way. GREAT bus is only $1 or $2 round trip, that’s cheaper than gas a few days out of the week.

Also, the city will need smarter infrastructure to allow buses to have priority at stoplights to speed them along.

Last edited by BMORE; 09-05-2017 at 03:12 PM..

Old 09-05-2017, 06:02 PM

Bullets fly in church parking lot - Daily Reflector

An article regarding a shooting at ‘5 Points Plaza.’ I applaud the Greenville Police Department for responding as swiftly and professionally as they did. We must continue to focus on not only providing the public assurances that Uptown and Greenville as a whole is a safe place to work, play and live, but also working to change the mindset of people undermining the work we’re putting in. Fortunately, in this case, no one was injured or killed, but we must continue to fight the hard battle of providing more options for the people of our city and respective region. I hope, in concert with relevant voices here, to exchange ideas on how we can make a meaningful improvement to the crime dilemma we’ve been plagued with for far too long.

-Demetrius

Old 09-05-2017, 06:37 PM

378 posts, read 419,093 times
Quote:
I've said this before and it's politically incorrect but only poor people ride the bus in Greenville. Nobody in their right mind with a running car would ride it.

But that said I don't understand the lack of Sunday bus service. Those folks want to get around then too.
Add rainbow colors on the deck and substructure on the bridge, pitt and greene. They need to replace those boring yellow lights

Old 09-05-2017, 07:33 PM

52 posts, read 96,947 times
Has anyone else heard anything about AMC adding or building an IMAX theater in Greenville? Close to the theater on Firetower??

Old 09-06-2017, 05:17 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePippin0982 View Post
Has anyone else heard anything about AMC adding or building an IMAX theater in Greenville? Close to the theater on Firetower??
I don't really see them building any new theaters anywhere at this time. The movie studios are having a lot of difficulty releasing anything that is drawing big crowds. The Numbers - Movie Market Summary 1995 to 2017

Old 09-06-2017, 08:19 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Miller Motte college in Greenville to no longer enroll new students

Old 09-06-2017, 10:07 AM

52 posts, read 96,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I don't really see them building any new theaters anywhere at this time. The movie studios are having a lot of difficulty releasing anything that is drawing big crowds. The Numbers - Movie Market Summary 1995 to 2017
I heard a rumor this weekend that AMC has said one was coming. Just thought I would ask.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:26 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
What I find interesting is that none of the other local media outlets have made any mention of this. Normally, accusations like this would've gotten legs by now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
In regards to Dickinson, if I’m not mistaken, the city has a plan for its beautification especially since ECU wants their “Milennium Campus” in that area. Regarding adding colorful lights to the bridges, would you be able to list an example of how you think it could look?
A couple of options:

Anderson Ave bridge in Ardmore, PA:

I'd even take a light strip similar to the lit up pedestrian bridge in Durham, NC

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina