Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 10:45 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Great thoughts and both valid arguments that illustrate the difficulty leaders/cities have in decision making. I'm not privy to the geographic footprint of Greenville. I wonder how it compares to other cities we aspire too. I don't know a lot more than I know, but IMO density is a the future especially for smaller urban areas to prevent the degradation of existing neighborhoods. There is certainly more to it than just density and HP91 mentioned. I do not know the value of having schools in the city limits vs out...

That being said, making a plan and sticking to the plan should make these decisions easier.
Honestly, it shouldn’t that difficult of a decision to make though I can totally understand why the city would desire to grow it’s tax-base by approving this subdivision, among others. The City of Greenville desires to be like Greenville, SC and we’re modeling our economic development office off their efforts. But SC has very strict annexation laws on their books, so Greenville, SC is about 27 Sq miles and therefore there’s a lot of infield construction happening.

We need to be focused on smart-growth. Pitt County needs to help us fund the expansion of GREAT so we can increase frequency, routes, provide shelters, etc. We can have dense, mixed use along bus routes instead of having more suburban subdivisions that aren’t even that popular today. But that requires saying “hey, that $1,000,000 in extra revenue is nice, but it doesn’t align with our goals.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 12:00 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Honestly, it shouldn’t that difficult of a decision to make though I can totally understand why the city would desire to grow it’s tax-base by approving this subdivision, among others. The City of Greenville desires to be like Greenville, SC and we’re modeling our economic development office off their efforts. But SC has very strict annexation laws on their books, so Greenville, SC is about 27 Sq miles and therefore there’s a lot of infield construction happening.

We need to be focused on smart-growth. Pitt County needs to help us fund the expansion of GREAT so we can increase frequency, routes, provide shelters, etc. We can have dense, mixed use along bus routes instead of having more suburban subdivisions that aren’t even that popular today. But that requires saying “hey, that $1,000,000 in extra revenue is nice, but it doesn’t align with our goals.”
I agree with your thinking...however, there are so many other factors DICTATING where growth is occurring. One of Greenville's biggest issue's is the lack of Interstate type roads to handle the capacity of growth. It has virtually none. The Southwest bypass is almost done and is a major regional road. Growth will go toward it towards the West.

But in the Southeastern part of Pitt County (which by the way Pitt has so much farmland to grow on, so not as many geographical boundaries) where the schools are considered good, more and more farmland gets developed into subdivisions. And its not like Greenville isnt adding multi family closer in town. It is, whether on Firetower Rd or downtown. Where does single family housing get built in the current city limits? There is no place for it. So you go to the outskirts.

But the State has not released any long term plans for transportation around Greenville....its not even keeping up with the widening of some existing roads, although maybe in 10 years we will see it. So think about where that future Interstate connector will be located in this area...and then think about this being 5 miles out...

The reality is that it isnt 5 miles out. Its probably inside a future beltway around Greenville. Blame the State for that. They put off stuff for so long, Greenville continues to sprawl.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:43 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...et-paving.aspx

Quote:
GREENVILLE- Contractors for the N.C. Department of Transportation will continue work on a Pitt County road today.

Crews are milling and paving Evans Street, from Red Banks Road to Greenville Boulevard. One lane in each direction will remain open. The work is expected to be complete this evening.

Drivers are asked to use an alternate route if possible and slow down when approaching the work zone.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:32 PM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
I see on Mayor Connelly's facebook page, the city will charge the contractor in charge of the Arlington Blvd project $1000 a day for not meeting the completion date. Good for the city, this is going to be a mess for Rose High...

Quote:
Arlington Boulevard, one of our main thoroughfares, is being reconditioned for traffic volume. I recently learned that the project has been delayed. According to Public Works and the contractor, the section in front of J.H. Rose High School will not be completed until mid-October. That is disheartening news and I am, to say the least, unhappy with the revised timeline.
Upon accepting on 9 May the bid amount for this project, we also approved a completion date of August 15th for Phase I (Hooker Road to Evans Street). Stretching out construction for an additional two months is unacceptable, especially in light of easily anticipated logistical difficulties for the return of students to Rose High. Starting on 2 September, the contractor will be charged by the City of Greenville $1,000/day in liquidated damages until phase completion. Moreover, the City of Greenville will take additional measures to ensure the safety of Rose High commuters by placing police officers at potential bottlenecks for as long as necessary to ease traffic flow and minimize inconvenience.
As always, thank you for your continued patience as we address our infrastructure needs. It's a busy time in Greenville, but it's a time of growth and progress. Be that as it may, I assure you that contractors will be held responsible for failure to complete projects in approved timelines. Maximizing value and convenience for you, the Greenville citizen and taxpayer, is the main motivation behind #GreenvilleMeansBusiness, and I will not stop working on your behalf.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:14 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
City council presentation the other night about creating an entertainment district within Uptown, as well as parking recommendations, and a proposal for a New Year's eve celebration at the Town Commons

https://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=18903

Old 08-14-2019, 05:16 AM

217 posts, read 236,145 times
Lanoca Coffee opens its institute in Farmville per the Times-Leader. They've needed a true shop for a while. Glad they're going to end up a part of Farmville's ongoing downtown growth.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:51 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...reenville.aspx

Quote:
GREENVILLE – Part of a Pitt County road will close for a day this week so N.C. Department of Transportation contractors can install water lines under the road as part of the Southwest Bypass project.

Frog Level Road will be closed near Turnage Lane, between Bell Arthur Road and U.S. 13/264 Alternate, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 15.

People wishing to access Frog Level Road from U.S. 13/264A will be detoured 1.5 miles along Bell Arthur Road to return to Frog Level Road. In the opposite direction, the detour will follow Bell Arthur Road and U.S. 13/264A to access Frog Level Road on the east side of the project site.

Drivers should slow down and be cautious near the work zone and allow for extra travel time because of the detour.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:09 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
AT&T looks to be in the process of building out 5G in Greenville!! I cannot wait for Suddenlink to have some ISP competition

Old 08-14-2019, 06:53 PM

455 posts, read 528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
City council presentation the other night about creating an entertainment district within Uptown, as well as parking recommendations, and a proposal for a New Year's eve celebration at the Town Commons

https://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=18903
For clarity's sake - would the entertainment district be similar to Uptown when it was still downtown Gville? Lots of bars and clubs in close proximity?

Also, I really like the uptick and usage of The Emerald City as the moniker for Greenville. I have seen in on the official media outlets and I love the Emerald drop proposal for New Years.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:36 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
Major road widening projects on hold because of NCDOT budgetary constraints - Daily Reflector
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina