Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 01:27 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
I sort of thought it was for that. Have you heard anything else about the student housing mixed development downtown?
Na, nothing I haven't posted already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 01:30 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
I posted about this a few weeks/months ago, but now here is an ECU News story about "ECHI fourth floor to soon be home to science, robotics"

DHS News Story

This is going to be a MUCH welcomed addition. Even though some other things, like either a tunnel or catwalk needs to be constructed (but no talk about it, AFAIK).

Old 04-08-2013, 07:04 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
From today's paper:

Quote:
Parking deck moving forward
By Michael Abramowitz The Daily Reflector Monday, April 8, 20132 Comments | Leave a Comment
Share on print PrintShare on email E-Mail
Share on reddit RedditMore Sharing ServicesMore

Greenville City Council members will receive an update on office and parking deck projects in the city’s downtown commercial district at tonight’s scheduled meeting at City Hall.

The projects were established for this year by the council and the Greenville Redevelopment Commission. The competitive procurement process for both projects is under way, including development of a public/private partnership to construct an office building at 423 Evans Street, a site owned by the commission. It is expected to be completed by early May with groundbreaking for the projects expected in October, city staff reported.

Council members received a report in December providing detailed information about building a 256-space parking deck on a city-owned parking lot located at the corner of Fourth and Cotanche Streets. The next steps in the process include preparation of a master development agreement that will guide the sale of the vacant Evans Street lot to a private developer, and the lease and sale terms of office space in the building to the Greenville Convention and Visitors Bureau, a potential tenant and institutional partner, that is slated to occupy two floors of the building.

Staffers said that portions of the city’s Moseley parking lot at the corner of Fourth and Cotanche streets likely will be used temporarily as a staging and construction-equipment-access area during the early portion of the office building construction project.

Staff estimates the cost of construction for a parking deck will be approximately $3,810,400. The city has reserves of $1,779,565 earmarked for parking deck construction, so an additional $2,364,191 will have to be borrowed to build the deck.

The redevelopment commission expects to sell the property at 423 Evans St. for fair market value, established at $198,250, commission members said.

Council members also will consider the following items and proposals:

Discussion of a possible ordinance to assure equal rights and equal voting privileges to all property owners and renters immediately upon establishing residency or ownership in a designated association area. Councilwoman Kandie Smith said she would like to eliminate any barriers — economic or otherwise — that prevent equal rights.

Purchase of an electric motorcycle for specialized police patrols, and 30 police-package bicycles. Recent tests by the police department reportedly indicate potential benefits from use of an electric motorcycle in specialized patrol activities, primarily in areas where a “green” vehicle is preferred and foot patrol is hindered, including on the greenway. The motorcycle will cost $16,449, to be paid from the department’s federal asset forfeiture account. The bicycles in the police fleet are more than 10 years old. Replacements would be used to police areas inaccessible by motor vehicles, to patrol special events and to provide for increased officer mobilization in the community, a staffer said.

A staff proposal for revising the Five Points Plaza rules of use in advance of the venue’s second season. Staff will recommend to eliminate the requirement for a special-use permit because it is considered redundant Staff also will propose that the council reduce the requirement to submit applications from 120 days in advance of an event to 60 days.

A representative of North Star Destination Strategies will provide a report to the council about the progress on the city’s branding development and discuss insights gleaned from interviews with community leaders and the Vision survey.

The city’s contract for services with the Greenville-Pitt County Chamber of Commerce will be added as a discussion item for City Council at the request of Mayor Pro-Tem Rose Glover. The city’s $10,000 contract for services with the chamber expires on June 30.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:20 AM

6 posts, read 7,246 times
With enough investors tied to it, it certainly would. I was thinking about one day opening up my own little fun park/mini golf course here if I can...I think Greenville is becoming more family-friendly and it should definitely have more things here for the kiddos to enjoy besides these street corners they seem so accustomed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I think a Frankie's Fun Park would be perfect for an area like Greenville.

Frankies Fun Park - Have you had your fun today?

It's similar to Dave & Buster's...a bar/restaurant/arcade but with go karts, & mini golf. think it would do well in the area. The "Greenville Fun Park" doesn't seem to have updated a single since it opened back when I was a kid. Didn't it close down at one point?

Maybe some entrepreneur in the area could make something like this happen. I remember visiting a place called Alleigh's / Wilson's in Wilmington that was a lot of fun that had the bar/restaurant/arcade model going.

I think Greenville & Eastern NC need something like this.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:01 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
Chanellos Pizza appears to have closed.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:18 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,627,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
From today's paper:

Quote:
Staff estimates the cost of construction for a parking deck will be approximately $3,810,400. The city has reserves of $1,779,565 earmarked for parking deck construction, so an additional $2,364,191 will have to be borrowed to build the deck.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:59 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
It's good to hear the city isn't borrowing to pay for the whole thing, at least it has some reserves for this project.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Borrowing to build a deck is pretty normal...they charge fee's for the deck and it goes to pay the debt....with overall goal to increase parking capacity. It was stated previously that a lot of the spots for the deck would be long term leases which would guarantee revenue to pay the debt...and free up small lots or street parking for short term downtown visits.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:44 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,627,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
It's good to hear the city isn't borrowing to pay for the whole thing, at least it has some reserves for this project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Borrowing to build a deck is pretty normal...they charge fee's for the deck and it goes to pay the debt....with overall goal to increase parking capacity. It was stated previously that a lot of the spots for the deck would be long term leases which would guarantee revenue to pay the debt...and free up small lots or street parking for short term downtown visits.
I was just commenting on the math...doesn't add up.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:59 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
I was just commenting on the math...doesn't add up.
You gotta have a couple hundred thousand for kickbacks and bribes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina