Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2023, 01:16 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times

Advertisements

A repaving project on NC-11 between Greenville Blvd and NC-102 in Ayden began today. Work is expected to be complete by the end of the year.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...-repaving.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 01:34 PM

455 posts, read 527,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I dont agree. The City has a parks and rec department that knows its needs. Asking for these studies is an antiquated way or "proving" to the public that the expenditure is justified.

If the Parks and rec department, City Managers office and Economic Development office are all in agreement with this, they just need to move forward with plans and proposals. Studies just waste time. Pretty much the same thing for parking studies in an area that has seen a ton of new businesses...we don't need to waste time and money on "proving" it.

The reason I say its antiquated is that it has been used in Greenville for decades but many larger municipalities are just using staff recommendation to move forward because their staff is just as equipped to make the recommendation. Many municipalities that have used studies previously have stopped using them because of the waste of time and money.

Studies have also been utilized to sway the public when Bond referendums are put out...which doesn't necessarily mean it will get approved just because the study says its a good idea. Again it becomes a waste of time and money.

The Council needs to just make a decision.
Full disclosure, I'm naive to accepted operating procedures on this. If studies and consultants are indeed antiquated I'm all for moving forward on the recommendation of the staff we already pay.

Old 06-22-2023, 07:04 AM

Wilson's ability to entertain this type of project further highlights Greenville's lack of motivation, foresight, and leadership.... https://restorationnewsmedia.com/art...ub=wilsontimes

And not solely considering a stadium..... Insert whatever significant project you prefer (Performing arts, events arena, etc)

Old 06-22-2023, 08:44 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Wilson's ability to entertain this type of project further highlights Greenville's lack of motivation, foresight, and leadership.... https://restorationnewsmedia.com/art...ub=wilsontimes

And not solely considering a stadium..... Insert whatever significant project you prefer (Performing arts, events arena, etc)
That may be true but if Wake County owns 85% of Five County Stadium, I am betting the City of Wilson is actually shooting blanks on this one. No way Wake County gets outbid by Wilson.

The market for a minor league baseball team is not in Wilson, its in Wake County.

Old 06-22-2023, 11:40 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
That may be true but if Wake County owns 85% of Five County Stadium, I am betting the City of Wilson is actually shooting blanks on this one. No way Wake County gets outbid by Wilson.

The market for a minor league baseball team is not in Wilson, its in Wake County.
You have to keep in mind what MLB wants on the players side of the minor league facilities. Their requirements for clubhouses, trainers rooms, etc. have changed and have a 2025 deadline. MLB doesn't care about minor league attendance. That's a local problem, as far as their concerned. These new standards are why the Brewers are looking to move (and why Kinston is losing their team before their 2031 lease is up). So far Wake/Zebulon haven't shown the willingness to pony up the $15M needed for the new stadium standards. MLB, of course, isn't chipping in to help make upgrades that directly benefit their players. I can see why Wake/Zebulon are hesitant to commit to making upgrades that only benefit the MLB team, plus there's certain to be another league contraction in five years. Why spend that kind of money on behalf of a wealthy entity that won't chip in nor guarantee longevity. It's a safer and cheaper bet to let the Mudcats leave and get an independent or summer league team to play in FCC. Is this a power play by the Brewers, pitting Wake against Wilson? Yes. Yes it is. What market the team is in is not really relevant for MLB. Spartanburg isn't much better than Wilson, but since they'll have a brand new facility, as a new stadium - it'll likely survive the impending cuts from not only contraction, but also the suddenly "substandard" stadiums that lack the 2025 requirements. Whatever town commits to providing a facility that accommodates the players needs as required by MLB will get the team, no matter the market. If MLB was concerned with marketing itself at the minor league level, they wouldn't have contracted dozens of teams with an eye towards eliminating many more.

Old 06-22-2023, 01:31 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
You have to keep in mind what MLB wants on the players side of the minor league facilities. Their requirements for clubhouses, trainers rooms, etc. have changed and have a 2025 deadline. MLB doesn't care about minor league attendance. That's a local problem, as far as their concerned. These new standards are why the Brewers are looking to move (and why Kinston is losing their team before their 2031 lease is up). So far Wake/Zebulon haven't shown the willingness to pony up the $15M needed for the new stadium standards. MLB, of course, isn't chipping in to help make upgrades that directly benefit their players. I can see why Wake/Zebulon are hesitant to commit to making upgrades that only benefit the MLB team, plus there's certain to be another league contraction in five years. Why spend that kind of money on behalf of a wealthy entity that won't chip in nor guarantee longevity. It's a safer and cheaper bet to let the Mudcats leave and get an independent or summer league team to play in FCC. Is this a power play by the Brewers, pitting Wake against Wilson? Yes. Yes it is. What market the team is in is not really relevant for MLB. Spartanburg isn't much better than Wilson, but since they'll have a brand new facility, as a new stadium - it'll likely survive the impending cuts from not only contraction, but also the suddenly "substandard" stadiums that lack the 2025 requirements. Whatever town commits to providing a facility that accommodates the players needs as required by MLB will get the team, no matter the market. If MLB was concerned with marketing itself at the minor league level, they wouldn't have contracted dozens of teams with an eye towards eliminating many more.
Maybe Wake doesn't do something...just seems odd that they would have a facility that they are part owner in and let the team walk.

I'm all for Wilson getting the team. Wilson is closer to Goldsboro, Greenville, Rocky Mount and Tarboro in terms of access to affiliated minor league baseball. A brand new facility might do well. I don't expect anyone to come from Wake County, but maybe I'm wrong.

In terms of Greenville, Wilson "needs" a team more than Greenville does. It is home to the NC Baseball Museum and has a long history of minor league ball. It also has Fleming Stadium to host while a new stadium is being built. I see this as a "desire" for Wilson more than I see this as a "should of" for Greenville.

Old 06-22-2023, 03:11 PM

I 1000% believe this is the Brewers toying with Wilson to scare Wake County into meeting their demands.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:49 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagi View Post
I noticed that Jonathan Bowling has vacated his "Hobby Horse" studio on Dickinson. Does anybody know where he's going, or what's going to happen in that spot?

If he's leaving the neighborhood, that's sad -- he's really the soul of the place.
Don't know what's going on with Bowling's studio, but there's a sign in front of all those sculptures at the corner of Dickinson and Atlantic advertising that the sculptures are for sale. Maybe the city is trying to get that land cleared of all those sculptures so it'll be available for development?

Old 06-27-2023, 07:18 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,595,835 times
That sign has been there a long time and IIRC has a phone number from another place (not a 252) so I assume it’s the sculptor’s cell or something.

Old 07-05-2023, 11:45 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Work to replace the northbound US-13 bridge over the Tar River will begin on July 10. The new bridge is expected to be opened in fall 2025.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...placement.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina