Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2023, 07:19 AM

455 posts, read 527,473 times

Advertisements

Some discussion over on ECU's 247 site on an arena for the city somewhere uptown https://247sports.com/college/east-c...092275/?page=3 Several posters mentioned minor league hockey ECHL but also that the Hurricane are losing their AHL minor league affiliate next year. Admittedly I know little of NHL, minor league hockey, and how affiliations work but just as the city should be pursuing minor league/CPL baseball, minor league hockey and an arena Uptown could be a boon for the city center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2023, 12:29 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,853,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Some discussion over on ECU's 247 site on an arena for the city somewhere uptown https://247sports.com/college/east-c...092275/?page=3 Several posters mentioned minor league hockey ECHL but also that the Hurricane are losing their AHL minor league affiliate next year. Admittedly I know little of NHL, minor league hockey, and how affiliations work but just as the city should be pursuing minor league/CPL baseball, minor league hockey and an arena Uptown could be a boon for the city center.
Fayetteville has had a team for 20 or so years, first the FireAntz and now the Marksmen. They average less than 3k in an 8,500 seat arena.

Florence SC had a hockey team for awhile, the Pee Dee Pride, but that failed.

I would question the costs of building an arena to lure a hockey team in...if you are building it for another reason, hockey may be the bi-product of it (sounds like the Hurricanes situation). With the ability to drive 70 miles an hour to get to the NHL game, I'm not convinced Greenville will support that.

A new arena in Greenville has to be ECU driven.

Old 04-13-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Awaken Coffee coming just across Evans from there as well: https://www.wnct.com/news/business/c...in-greenville/
Would be nice if WNCT's article at least mentioned the address.

Old 04-13-2023, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Coastal Fog moving from downtown. Relocating to former Habitat for Humanity Restore on 14th street.

https://www.reflector.com/news/local...ddf71f19b.html

Interesting move. Not a great thing for downtown, but eventually that area along 14th street could become a separate district once the Millennial campus gets up and running. I'm sure they will make this a really nice place to visit. I'm sure they'll find a lot of success there, especially on an ECU game weekend.

I do find this quote interesting:

Truer words have never been spoken in regards to parking in downtown Greenville. I'm not sure how that "issue" came to be.
I love this move. That is right across from the Jolly Roger in an old warehouse. Their old spot will get leased no problem, but this adds to the corner that we just were mentioning where the old Harris Teeter was. Puts more pressure on that corner to develop or at least be leased.

For what its worth, I consider anything inside of the railroad tracks to be downtown at this point. ECU's main campus, the Millennial campus and up to 14th St.

We need more hotels downtown. They are now building 1, not 4 as was reported. The City/ECU and all the businesses need to keep pushing for that.

Old 04-13-2023, 02:00 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,596,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Fayetteville has had a team for 20 or so years, first the FireAntz and now the Marksmen. They average less than 3k in an 8,500 seat arena.

I would question the costs of building an arena to lure a hockey team in...if you are building it for another reason, hockey may be the bi-product of it (sounds like the Hurricanes situation). With the ability to drive 70 miles an hour to get to the NHL game, I'm not convinced Greenville will support that.

Fayetteville has had an ice rink for a very long time. I remember going to see an ice skating show there with my parents in the 90s.

Old 04-13-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Fayetteville has had an ice rink for a very long time. I remember going to see an ice skating show there with my parents in the 90s.
Crown Coliseum was built in 1997 without a major tenant. It was to replace the arena that was built in the 60's and will be shut down soon due to non ADA compliance.

There have been some fairly good concerts over the years at Crown and minor league hockey, globetrotters, and wrestling/tractor pulls, etc... they have minor league basketball and indoor football there as well.

But keep in mind Fayetteville doesn't have any other entertainment options. Greenville has ECU football and ECU baseball, which are both well supported. How many $$'s to go around in Greenville?

Old 04-14-2023, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post

I would suggest a Greenville arena be multi purpose to justify the expense, like the North Charleston Colosseum that hosts ice hockey, basketball, and concerts. A town and gown endeavor.

The support concern is certainly a valid one.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:14 AM

120 posts, read 229,051 times
Truer words have never been spoken in regards to parking in downtown Greenville. I'm not sure how that "issue" came to be.[/quote]

I personally believe there is an issue- even if it's just perception. But, I don't know if the issue is a real lack of parking spaces or just perception from ongoing conversations and news. Personally, I believe the major issue stems from the lack of consistency with the parking regulations Downtown- I try to keep up with local information, fairly well, but never know what the current parking regulations are downtown. For the past 10ish years it seems to change every few months to a year and so I never know where I'm able to park-for how long- if I have to pay- if I will get a ticket, etc. and so we don't really go Downtown often but when we do, we Uber.

Old 04-19-2023, 12:17 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,691 times
https://www.wnct.com/local-news/gree...s-town-common/

Quote:
The bulkhead that separates the Tar River from the park in the Town Common was originally built in the 1960s. Officials with the Greenville Recreation and Parks Department said it’s now time to redesign the bulkhead.

The department has made two designs and is releasing a survey to ask the community what they think.

“Options A and B have similarities in design. There are differences when you get closer to the east end of the park near the boat ramp,” said Mark Nottingham, the City of Greenville parks planner.

I think i'm a fan of Concept B

Old 04-19-2023, 03:07 PM

Awesome to see concepts. Thats a tough call, there are elements from both that I like... I really like the docks on concept A in the hopes of driving more access from the water.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina