Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2022, 04:44 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
Lack of retail? Kohls, Lowes, Dicks, Academy sports, Food Lion, Hobby Lobby, Pet Supply Plus, and Hobby Lobby are all right there by the movie theater. I bet if anything it's the rent of this development.
Those are regional big box stores. The retail part of the movie complex never gained traction. I believe Zimmer didn't understand the Greenville market and was speculating. It was too far from the Comm College, ECU, and residential neighborhoods to support the small local retail. A 2nd movie theater is just not enough draw. We saw that in the prior movie theater in that area that was torn down.

Does anyone know what kind of hotel is being built next to the Microtel and the VA Clinic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 11:17 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,597,631 times
At the time Brody looked to be going all in on the redevelopment of Carolina East Mall and that made the area seem more retail friendly.

I knew that center was doomed when the PD opened a substation and Baker Roofing opened a branch office there. The rent must be really low.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
At the time Brody looked to be going all in on the redevelopment of Carolina East Mall and that made the area seem more retail friendly.

I knew that center was doomed when the PD opened a substation and Baker Roofing opened a branch office there. The rent must be really low.
True...a movie theater at the back of that complex (next to Dick's) MAY have worked if you had some restaurants around it (besides Cheddars) that would generate night traffic. You didn't need the retail and only needed the movie theater in the right location. Again, Zimmer screwed up with that complex...and now it just sits vacant.

I believe there was a race to build the theater before Brody did...and both places lost.

Old 09-22-2022, 10:00 AM

455 posts, read 527,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
The cancelation of this development is really unfortunate...

https://www.reflector.com/news/local...fd5cb0352.html
That is very unfortunate... Also and interesting back and forth there between the two entities.... BH intent seems to focus on substance abuse whereas ECU Health did not.

Old 09-23-2022, 07:02 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,288 times
https://www.witn.com/2022/09/23/city...ark-amenities/

Quote:
Despite providing all of those fun activities there’s one thing parkgoers want the most, restrooms.

“We’re creating a restroom facility, which is probably the number one ask for us right now and what our current park users want to see,†Octigan said. “Also, the facility will allow us to rent the park out more, rent the shelter out, which will allow the community to have more events here.â€

The new expansion is a part of the phase two park development, which was designed early this year and funded by the city council.
Glad the city has really put some effort into this park. Wildwood park will become the crown jewel of the city. Can't wait for the small amphitheater to be built.

Old 09-23-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
https://www.witn.com/2022/09/23/city...ark-amenities/

Glad the city has really put some effort into this park. Wildwood park will become the crown jewel of the city. Can't wait for the small amphitheater to be built.
Very cool! There is progress on the town common too correct? IIRC, RFPs for the bulkhead work has gone out....

Both can be defining elements of the city.

Old 09-23-2022, 01:45 PM

The City just announced that a portion of Cotanche St will be closed next week to deal with utilities in the area that are part of the Hilton Hotel downtown.

Nice to see it moving forward.

Anyone know the answer to my question about what hotel is being built next to the Microtel near the Hospital?

Old 10-03-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The City just announced that a portion of Cotanche St will be closed next week to deal with utilities in the area that are part of the Hilton Hotel downtown.

Nice to see it moving forward.

Anyone know the answer to my question about what hotel is being built next to the Microtel near the Hospital?
Found an answer to my question...apparently a Homewood Suites (Hilton affiliated) is being built next to the Microtel on Moye Blvd with an opening in Spring 2023...

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/c/Homew...61290de1e613a0

I wonder if the downtown hotel got delayed by about 6 months because of the construction/opening of this hotel...would seem to make sense to stagger their openings in the same market within a few miles of each other.

Old 10-04-2022, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Found an answer to my question...apparently a Homewood Suites (Hilton affiliated) is being built next to the Microtel on Moye Blvd with an opening in Spring 2023...

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/c/Homew...61290de1e613a0

I wonder if the downtown hotel got delayed by about 6 months because of the construction/opening of this hotel...would seem to make sense to stagger their openings in the same market within a few miles of each other.
Quality sleuthing HP91!

Old 10-07-2022, 07:11 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,288 times
https://www.reflector.com/news/local...eb822b467.html

Quote:
The Greenville City Council unanimously voted to create the districts in August with the goal of promoting business activity in the two areas. Social districts allow people to buy drinks from licensed businesses and carry and drink them while walking on sidewalks or into businesses without ABC permits that are program participants, according to the city.
Awesome news. But Greenville seems to always take two steps forward and one step back. There's no good reason why two seperate districts had to be made when the two districts are a half a block across from each other. How will this even be enforced? Are they going to really bust people crossing Reade?

People should be able to take a beer from Pitt Street brewing and walk the 1000 feet to Uptown Brewing without issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina