Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2022, 10:18 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times

Advertisements

I was thinking that rather than discussing the possibility of a new Greenville baseball stadium here in this thread, we could separate it from here and talk about in a separate ENC pro baseball thread. I'm sure some folks might get tired of seeing it discussed here repeatedly - which is nearly all my fault, I admit. Also there are other dynamics in play that are not solely Greenville-centric, so I made a couple of posts on a different thread that already exists. The new posts start at the bottom of page ten on this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/coas...inston-10.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 09:04 AM

247 posts, read 445,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
Just got word that 7-Eleven will be built out in front of Academy Sports and Hobby Lobby. They are in the process of taking bids for it.
What's the status on this?

Old 10-21-2022, 12:44 PM

455 posts, read 528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
As valuable as real estate is getting in the downtown area, it wouldn't surprise me if they tore down the whole shopping center and built something larger there. This is pure speculation on my part and is not supported by any facts or rumors.
This area is the closest commercial area to the ECU athletic campus, it would awesome to see many of the parcels redeveloped for higher density, mixed use. More housing, dining etc for fans coming and going from athletic and other events as well as serving the adjacent neighborhoods. There is a lot of potential for this intersection.

Old 10-24-2022, 06:50 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
This area is the closest commercial area to the ECU athletic campus, it would awesome to see many of the parcels redeveloped for higher density, mixed use. More housing, dining etc for fans coming and going from athletic and other events as well as serving the adjacent neighborhoods. There is a lot of potential for this intersection.
I think the issue is the proximity to downtown and now the Dickinson Ave corridor. To me, the shopping center just needs an anchor tenant and some new life. It wouldn't be a bad place to have an ABC store.
There is housing on both sides now and downtown needs a grocery. I'm a little surprised Food Lion hasn't jumped in but maybe there is something with the owner of the complex and not spending money. If that is the case, just sell it.

Old 10-27-2022, 10:02 AM

I stumbled upon this via LinkedIn this morning and I immediately thought of the railroad separating west Greenville and Uptown.... I am wondering if this grant program might be something that could help create connections across the tracks to the city center.

https://www.planning.org/planning/20...ederal-grants/

https://www.transportation.gov/grant...ng-communities

I have asked city officials in the past about plans to connect Alley or Bonner across the tracks or possible a walking bridge.... I do think creating this connection is something we need to address.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:02 AM

Durham county has a 550 million bond referendum this year.... I wonder (wish) Greenville/Pitt county would do something similar towards improving the entertainment value/appeal of the city for future job growth. I don't know the nuances of determining what possible but Pitt is roughly 50% the size of Durham (population wise). Even with 40 or 50% of 550 million there are a lot of big items that could get done. https://durhamcounty2022bondsreferendum.org/

Old 11-02-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Durham county has a 550 million bond referendum this year.... I wonder (wish) Greenville/Pitt county would do something similar towards improving the entertainment value/appeal of the city for future job growth. I don't know the nuances of determining what possible but Pitt is roughly 50% the size of Durham (population wise). Even with 40 or 50% of 550 million there are a lot of big items that could get done. https://durhamcounty2022bondsreferendum.org/
That looks like a School Bond. I don't think the current growth supports that, but maybe aging infrastructure does.

In terms of an entertainment bond, there has to be a plan in place for that...an Amphitheater similar to Wilmington? Wilmington used a parks bond for that that included soccer complex upgrades among a few other parks projects.

I believe Greenville will wait for ECU to complete a performing arts center. And the ECU baseball stadium can be used for a minor league club now that you can have alcohol sales on campus.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
That looks like a School Bond. I don't think the current growth supports that, but maybe aging infrastructure does.

In terms of an entertainment bond, there has to be a plan in place for that...an Amphitheater similar to Wilmington? Wilmington used a parks bond for that that included soccer complex upgrades among a few other parks projects.

I believe Greenville will wait for ECU to complete a performing arts center. And the ECU baseball stadium can be used for a minor league club now that you can have alcohol sales on campus.
The Durham bond is actually three, one for schools, one for the community college, and one for a museum. My point was that if Durham can float 550 million I would think Pitt could do something towards improving the entertainment options the area provides when recruiting jobs.

An events arena, performing arts venue, amphitheater, museum etc. Again I'm not sure of the algorithm but I would think we could do serval projects like this simultaneously.

Utilizing ECU's stadium for a CPL or MiLB team is plausible but IF that is the goal the city/university should make efforts to develop in proximity to the stadium and I'm not sure we can do that. For example, working with Brody to open that development in the middle so that there is pass-through to the ECU property..... It would be an awesome project to develop mixed-use on that mostly parking lot corner and stratford arms property....

Old 11-03-2022, 09:07 AM

Quote:
The Durham bond is actually three, one for schools, one for the community college, and one for a museum. My point was that if Durham can float 550 million I would think Pitt could do something towards improving the entertainment options the area provides when recruiting jobs.

An events arena, performing arts venue, amphitheater, museum etc. Again I'm not sure of the algorithm but I would think we could do serval projects like this simultaneously.

Utilizing ECU's stadium for a CPL or MiLB team is plausible but IF that is the goal the city/university should make efforts to develop in proximity to the stadium and I'm not sure we can do that. For example, working with Brody to open that development in the middle so that there is pass-through to the ECU property..... It would be an awesome project to develop mixed-use on that mostly parking lot corner and stratford arms property....
Completely agree...ECU is sitting on an amazing mixed use type property with Stratford Arms/old Rec complex and the Belk/Allied Health area. Because of the performing arts center and future alumni center and hotel that are in the long range plan for downtown, I would like to see that project move forward first.

Probably sitting on that land for another 10 plus years is the best course of action, but I could see redevelopment of that area in the long run, especially once more and more redevelopment happens downtown. With the Millennial campus development the focus should be continued downtown.

Old 11-03-2022, 11:14 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Ill try not to get too deep in the baseball stuff. The only thing I'll say is I don't know how willing ECU is to host a CPL team.

MiLB did come calling for ECU/Greenville when the Fayetteville team was getting started and needed a place to play for a single season. They couldn't work anything out and had to play in Buies Creek.

Coastal Plains League has come to the city twice in the last 5-6 years wanting to put a team in Greenville. Nothing so far. I'm sure ECU has been approached by the city about Clark Leclair Stadium. There's a reason why Greenville was thinking for a split second about upgrading Guy Smith stadium with that ARPA money.

Greenville having to rely on ECU's timeline and desires for all of these projects isn't ideal. ECUs funding is controlled by the state, which fluctuates year to year. That performing arts center might not come to fruition for another decade. That alumni center/hotel was supposed to be under construction by now and was pushed back and is in limbo. Who knows when/if that will happen??

Obviously work with ECU on the things they can. But Greenville has to step into its own as well. They have to get something down there to keep people in Uptown. A multi use stadium that can host many events throughout the year would be my #1 priority.

Last edited by michealbond; 11-03-2022 at 11:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina