Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 02:43 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
Opportunity Corridor planners need a strong vision to avoid lowest common denominator development (Commentary) | cleveland.com

I really think it is great that Cleveland wants to branch away from downtown development and do something with the underdeveloped/vacant land on Cleveland's forgotten east side, but at $300+ million, it may not be the smartest move.
That $300 million would be better spent on mass transit...Kasich gives state money to this but took away the state money for the Cincinnati streetcar, which drastically shortened what they can do and stopped it from being able to connect downtown up to UC.

I don't understand how this man is going to win again...can't Ohioans see he and the GOP is so anti-city its ridiculous? .

The Opportunity Corridor (flashy name for another hwy, just at grade) will sever neighborhoods, and only is being built to shave 10 minutes off a westsiders commute to UC...that $300 million can be spent much better than this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 08:16 PM

816 posts, read 1,396,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
That $300 million would be better spent on mass transit...Kasich gives state money to this but took away the state money for the Cincinnati streetcar, which drastically shortened what they can do and stopped it from being able to connect downtown up to UC.

I don't understand how this man is going to win again...can't Ohioans see he and the GOP is so anti-city its ridiculous? .

The Opportunity Corridor (flashy name for another hwy, just at grade) will sever neighborhoods, and only is being built to shave 10 minutes off a westsiders commute to UC...that $300 million can be spent much better than this.
I do agree; how do you personally want to see the $300+ million spent? I would want it spread throughout the city and not solely centered around just downtown and UC. Maybe some street repairs, mixed use infill in some of the more urban areas; hopefully it could generate some growth and gentrify some areas a bit.

It would be cool to see some mixed use development in Asiatown and/or Midtown.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:35 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
I do agree; how do you personally want to see the $300+ million spent? I would want it spread throughout the city and not solely centered around just downtown and UC. Maybe some street repairs, mixed use infill in some of the more urban areas; hopefully it could generate some growth and gentrify some areas a bit.

It would be cool to see some mixed use development in Asiatown and/or Midtown.
If the $300 million can only be spent on roads and not mass transit, then I'd spread it around and resurface a lot of the roads in the Cleveland area...that alone will help everyone.
Personally, I'd rather see less roads and more mass transit options...and if it must be on roads, then make sure they offer good safe bike lanes.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:32 AM

as orange barrels fade, new businesses bloom on waterloo

Another article on Waterloo and Collinwood.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:38 AM

Pinecrest developers line up retail tenants, revise plans for big East Side project | cleveland.com

Some development going on in the east side suburbs.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:30 PM

869 posts, read 1,278,311 times
Grand opening soon!

Bottoms up! Hofbrauhaus Cleveland readies for opening - newsnet5.com Cleveland

Old 10-10-2014, 12:37 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,285,962 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btA4toz7PxQ

Old 10-10-2014, 04:40 PM

220 posts, read 321,962 times
So this happened today…

Cleveland State University buys naming rights to new RTA bus-rapid line | cleveland.com

"The "Cleveland State Line" will feature CSU's logo and colors on the 16 custom-designed articulated buses that will travel on renovated Clifton Boulevard to western cities and back, picking up students and all other riders."

I think this is fantastic, more BRT, more exposure for CSU and it even reaches out into the suburbs.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:46 PM

10 posts, read 12,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedRustbelt View Post
So this happened today…

Cleveland State University buys naming rights to new RTA bus-rapid line | cleveland.com

"The "Cleveland State Line" will feature CSU's logo and colors on the 16 custom-designed articulated buses that will travel on renovated Clifton Boulevard to western cities and back, picking up students and all other riders."

I think this is fantastic, more BRT, more exposure for CSU and it even reaches out into the suburbs.
They need to build more rapids rather than more bus routes.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:44 PM

220 posts, read 321,962 times
I agree that rapid lines would be better, but is that even feasible for the RTA? Do suburban communities even want them? I think overall any public transportation into the suburbs is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland