Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 12:56 PM

171 posts, read 148,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
IMO, most people on the Coasts are so spoiled that they believe everything in their cities is great and nothing is wrong. Or, the media only highlights their attributes and not their flaws. It's like that beautiful girl or hot guy being told how beautiful they are then when someone calls them ugly, they can't believe it. On the flip side, almost everybody thinks there's no quality of life on the Midwest because everybody moves from there, nobody moves hardly moves there, if they do they must've gone down in life and the media has browbeaten it to death.

I disagree with your first sentence. Many people on the Coasts are very well aware of the problems in their cities--the overcrowding, high cost of living, etc. They have fantasies about being able to retire in the middle of nowhere.

A big reason that people don't consider living in the Midwest is because of the economy. People like me move to THEIR areas for jobs--and that just reinforces the image that the Coasts must be a better place to live.

The other reason that people don't move to the Midwest is that they know nothing about it--and it's true that the media frequently gives it a bum rap. I hate to say it, but the last election didn't help. Now, everybody thinks that you're a bunch of rednecks and racists who hate immigrants and minorities. I'm not saying that the stereotype is deserved, but that is people's perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 01:03 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Just speaking for myself, but people in Boston are painfully aware of skyrocketing housing prices. Maybe you don't hear them complain about it as much because you don't live there, or maybe it's because they end up moving. It's also impossible to not notice the opioid crisis walking around virtually any part of downtown/central neighborhoods. Nobody denies that. "Methadone Mile" is notorious around here.

https://apps.bostonglobe.com/graphic...ethadone-mile/

Old 05-21-2018, 01:05 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldnm View Post
I disagree with your first sentence. Many people on the Coasts are very well aware of the problems in their cities--the overcrowding, high cost of living, etc. They have fantasies about being able to retire in the middle of nowhere.

A big reason that people don't consider living in the Midwest is because of the economy. People like me move to THEIR areas for jobs--and that just reinforces the image that the Coasts must be a better place to live.

The other reason that people don't move to the Midwest is that they know nothing about it--and it's true that the media frequently gives it a bum rap. I hate to say it, but the last election didn't help. Now, everybody thinks that you're a bunch of rednecks and racists who hate immigrants and minorities. I'm not saying that the stereotype is deserved, but that is people's perception.
Most of the people went for Trump in the election in the Midwest were poor white people. Plus, the Coasts needs to sweep around their front door because it's not as progressive as they portray themselves to be.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:41 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I said wrong take because in a previous post he said Cleveland didn't have opportunities. Then he told me what field he was in so I was just trying to tell him that Cleveland didn't have enough opportunities in HIS field. I just think he looked at it the wrong way. I wasn't trying to insult him, I was just saying that they wasn't enough career opportunities in his field. How was my post was insulting? I work for the Cleveland Public Library and there are some library jobs in bigger cities that pay less than what Cleveland Public Library pays.
Maybe you guys are 25 or 30 years old. I'm 63, and I left Cleveland in 1971 when deindustrialization was at its peak and race riots were destroying the city. For someone in my field, if you don't ever move to New York, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, or Los Angeles you will never get the training and make the contacts that you need. What you do after that depends on a large number of factors.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Maybe you guys are 25 or 30 years old. I'm 63, and I left Cleveland in 1971 when deindustrialization was at its peak and race riots were destroying the city. For someone in my field, if you don't ever move to New York, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, or Los Angeles you will never get the training and make the contacts that you need. What you do after that depends on a large number of factors.
I'm 35 actually. Have you been back in Cleveland since then? Maybe not because you still have Cleveland pictured in the '60 and '70s era and it never changed to you or became progressive. You're looking at Cleveland from the old Rust Belt perspective IMO.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 05-21-2018 at 02:32 PM..

Old 05-21-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
You're partially making a good point. Slow and steady wins the race. And Cleveland doesn't need to rush to contend with Chicago, Miami, SF, Dallas, LA, etc. Nor should it try. A strong, vibrant Cleveland would be really good. It has the culture, location and infrastructure to support great.

Throwing up a bunch of high rises and handing out tax breaks to mega corporations or emerging industries (like many cities seem to be favoring) -- just for the sake of short-term growth -- yields disastrous consequences.

Not that I think there is any risk of this kind of "boom" happening here anytime soon.

That would take distributed job growth, creative city planning, integrated community building, and most importantly, lots of smart, young people.

There are real demographic issues here that when graphed against national/global economic trends... do not look great. It's not old people that's been fleeing NEO, it's the young people.

Pittsburg committed itself to reinvention much earlier and it shows.

Cleveland could pick up the pace. In fact, it must. The slow gentrification/revitalization of downtown, tremont, ohio city and lakewood is not enough to ward off the more obvious challenges we face both on a local level, but also on a national/global scale as well.

It's a nice start, but it's just a start.
I had meant to ask you this a long time ago. Since you lived in The Bay the longest, do you think Silicon Valley and corporations ruined the area?

Old 05-21-2018, 03:18 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
I always wondered how Cleveland got the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame. I thought Memphis would have been the obvious choice. I never have associated Cleveland with Rock-n-Roll music, or any other kind of music, for that matter.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I always wondered how Cleveland got the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame. I thought Memphis would have been the obvious choice. I never have associated Cleveland with Rock-n-Roll music, or any other kind of music, for that matter.
Rock and Roll isn't associated with Memphis, the term was coined in Cleveland. Plus, a lot of famous rock and roll acts got their big break in Cleveland. You would know that if you knew your music history instead of just judging cities. Cleveland got the Hall of Fame because there was a worldwide vote and Cleveland won by a landslide.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:21 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Memphis makes more sense to me too, and I'm from Cleveland. I think that when the decision was being made, Cleveland was in the middle of a rock boomlet arising from the punk scene.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Memphis makes more sense to me too, and I'm from Cleveland. I think that when the decision was being made, Cleveland was in the middle of a rock boomlet arising from the punk scene.
Why Memphis? A lot of rock acts got their big breaks in Cleveland. Oh I get it Cleveland doesn't deserve nice things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland