Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 06:57 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,139,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGal View Post
Excellent schools, near hiking, with a 30 minute commute: Brecksville/Broadview Heights, Rocky River, Independence, Chagrin Falls. Yes, Shaker is great, if you want a metropolitan lifestyle and HIGH taxes, with average schools AT BEST. And no, the Shaker Lakes aren't exactly a draw for true hikers. I lived there for three years, I would not raise kids there. Especially with three kids, no doubt there are better things to spend money on than Shaker taxes. The Shaker public schools can't compete with Rocky River, Brecksville/Broadview Heights, or Chagrin Falls. What is up with this Shaker Heights bug up some people's rears, I will never understand. It's pretty, and THAT IS ALL. If you like Shaker, it's an easy drive from a decent suburb. You can visit. The other option is to live in Shaker, and send your kids to private school- but I don't think it suits your request of a hiking-friendly area.

Here is a link for the OP in regards to Shaker hiking: City of Shaker Heights - Bikes and Hikes

And another, about hiking in other areas: Reservations and Partner Locations | Cleveland Metroparks

Let me wrap this up by saying I like Shaker, and I enjoyed living there. It is not, however, the answer to every inquiry about where is best to live in the Cleveland area.
Average at best? Then how do you explain the fact that in 2013, 140 students were named AP scholars, that it has the only IB program in the region, that 35 students were either National Merit Semifinalists, National Commended Scholars, or National Achievement Scholars last year, that it consistently sends dozens of students to Ivy League or other top colleges and universities? Not only that but Shaker provides something that other school districts do not; true diversity in socioeconomic and racial spheres, and a true sense of tolerance, integration, and community.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 10-09-2013 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 07:50 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,838,872 times
They should teach tolerance for other people's school choices, IMO.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
They should teach tolerance for other people's school choices, IMO.
You can choose whatever school district you want, I don't care, but when you start making claims about the quality of the school district, I feel I need to bring my more informed opinion to the table and defend it.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:08 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,490,814 times
If people actually knew anything about what they were talking about, we would cease to have a forum.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:25 AM

553 posts, read 1,210,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Rocky river. Good schools. On lake,river and metro park system. Within 30 minute comute to dt and clinic.
+1 For the same reasons, you could consider Lakewood. It's a little shorter commute with the same proximity to parks, lake, and river. Schools are probably not quite as good as Rocky River, but offer more diversity and are still solid. If looking at Lakewood, focus on Clifton Park neighborhood. Coming from NYC, you can probably afford the housing which in Clifton Park is probably the highest cost in Lakewood, but the neighborhood is among the most family friendly and gets you access to a neighborhood beach and lagoon area which is very nice.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:31 AM

306 posts, read 822,252 times
I recommend Mayfield Village especially the northern end of the village. The north end of the village is still somewhat rural in nature yet you're minutes from I-90 and I-271 with tons of shopping and entertainment nearby. There's multiple trails throughout the village that all connect to the North Chagrin Reservation. Additionally, Acacia Reservation is a short trip away as are several of the Lake County Metroparks. Cuyahoga Valley is a 30 minute drive if the local parks don't suit you. Downtown and the Clinic are easy commutes and Mayfield has some of the best schools in the region.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:56 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,033,330 times
You probably want to give us more details about what you're looking for. As others mentioned, Cleveland has a fine "emerald necklace" of woods reservations around the city, all of which have hiking trails. I remember Chagrin being a bit better then the rest, but the others are fine. There are also strong school districts in every direction. But there can be cultural differences (in politics, religion, proportion of foreign-born residents, proportion of transplants vs. natives) between say Rocky River vs. Brecksville vs. Beachwood.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:26 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,838,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
You can choose whatever school district you want, I don't care, but when you start making claims about the quality of the school district, I feel I need to bring my more informed opinion to the table and defend it.
Informed opinions are relative. I am informed and come to a different conclusion than you. Others do the same, apparently. Your disagreement with our opinions does not mean they are wrong.

"I strenuously object?" Is that how it works? Hm? "Objection." "Overruled." "Oh, no, no, no. No, I STRENUOUSLY object." "Oh. Well, if you strenuously object then I should take some time to reconsider."

Old 10-09-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
Informed opinions are relative. I am informed and come to a different conclusion than you. Others do the same, apparently. Your disagreement with our opinions does not mean they are wrong.

"I strenuously object?" Is that how it works? Hm? "Objection." "Overruled." "Oh, no, no, no. No, I STRENUOUSLY object." "Oh. Well, if you strenuously object then I should take some time to reconsider."
Informed opinions are based on facts, not feelings or impressions.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:01 PM

246 posts, read 477,007 times
Lakewood and Rocky River are both very much family friendly walking oriented cities with entrances to the Rocky River Reservation branch of the metro parks and both are on Lake Erie. You get more for your money in Lakewood because it borders Cleveland on the east and south. Rocky River Schools are rated top notch but Lakewood realistically offers more programs due to is significantly bigger student body.

In Lakewood the well raised kids involved in extracurricular activities stay associate with like minded kids and are magically transformed into juvenile delinquents because they attend the same school as some.

Best places to look in Lakewood are Clifton Park, both north and south of Clifton and along Lake and Edgewater, including the side streets that north off of Lake. Plenty of other nice streets but to much to list here. As the other person mentioned, Clifton park residency gains you access to the Clifton Club and Clifton Beach down in the Lagoons.

The Clifton Club - Lakewood, Ohio - Clifton Beach

In Rocky River, if you live north of the railroad tracks (Beachcliff II)you have access to Wagar Beach. If you live in a certain part of what they call Beachcliff I a.ka. Tangletown (NW corner of Rocky River), you have access to Oakwood Beach. There is also Cleveland Yacht Club (CYC) along the Rocky River which has a great clubhouse, pool and several boating, sailing and swimming classes.

http://papa245.topproducerwebsite.co...p?preview=true

Home - The Cleveland Yachting Club

My top choice would be Rocky River North of Lake Rd if you can afford it. 2nd would be Clifton Park in Lakewood. Quiet Streets, lots of city parks and lots of families out walking. Both are high end neighborhoods with beautiful century homes.

Last edited by ECBeastor; 10-09-2013 at 01:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland