Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:05 AM

17 posts, read 38,238 times

Advertisements

Looking for a quiet, "picket fence" kind of town within 20 miles of Cleveland to raise 4 small kids. I know nothing about the area except what I read on the net.

Although I'm not tied down to it, Geauga county looks nice......or at least Forbes.com seems to like it. I'm in the $200k-$250 range. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 08:37 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,283,509 times
Will you be working Downtown, westside, or eastside?

I'd recommend living on the side you'd be working.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:50 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Costello nailed it. Where will you be working?

There are goods and bads for all general areas.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 AM

17 posts, read 38,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Will you be working Downtown, westside, or eastside?

I'd recommend living on the side you'd be working.
Sorry about that. I should have said. My office is on East 9th near the lafefront. I assume that's the downtown area?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:21 AM

458 posts, read 1,223,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
Looking for a quiet, "picket fence" kind of town within 20 miles of Cleveland to raise 4 small kids. I know nothing about the area except what I read on the net.

Although I'm not tied down to it, Geauga county looks nice......or at least Forbes.com seems to like it. I'm in the $200k-$250 range. Any suggestions?

When I think of a white-picket fence community in the Cleveland area, I immediately think of Chagrin Falls. It has that small town feel to it, very walkable neighborhood where everybody knows everybody. The schools are also rated as one of the best in Northeast Ohio. Chagrin Falls is in Cuyahoga county, but borders Geauga county. The drive however would be close to 40-45 minutes

Old 07-21-2010, 12:00 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
I don't know what prices are like in Chagrin Falls now, but a few years ago you could only get a very small 3 bedroom for his price range. I'm guessing that with 4 kids he'd have to spend well over $250k to get the square footage he needs. I could be wrong so don't hold me to that, but that's what i remember prices being like. My ex bf's sister bought a huge house in Bainbridge for like $500k around that same time.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:33 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,283,509 times
Yes -- E.9th is Downtown.

Well you could literary live anywhere then.

Within 20 min...Rocky River, Brecksville, Broadview Hts, Beachwood

Within 30 min....Bay Village, Strongsville, Solon

Old 07-21-2010, 03:09 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
I am not even sure what a 'picket fence' town is. You can get a picket fence anywhere, right?

If it's Mayberry you want, Geauga County would be your best bet. That's quite a bit farther then 20 minutes to downtown though.

I think Bay Village on the far west side would be the closest you will find in Cuyahoga that is close enough to your job. It is a small tight knit town that didn't succumb to the retail explosion that most other cities went through (like Rocky River or Westlake or Beachwood or Lyndhurst, all cities I would probably avoid for your criteria).
To many suburbs around here feel very much the same.... big retail hubs relentlessly competing against each other....
Bay Village has none of that but since it is 5-15 minutes from all the major shopping suburbs... it doesn't need it. As a result is has a much better 'small town' feel. It can be a bit pricey, though.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:36 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Yes -- E.9th is Downtown.

Well you could literary live anywhere then.

Within 20 min...Rocky River, Brecksville, Broadview Hts, Beachwood

Within 30 min....Bay Village, Strongsville, Solon
You can't go wrong with ANY of these. Good post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I am not even sure what a 'picket fence' town is. You can get a picket fence anywhere, right?

If it's Mayberry you want, Geauga County would be your best bet. That's quite a bit farther then 20 minutes to downtown though.

I think Bay Village on the far west side would be the closest you will find in Cuyahoga that is close enough to your job. It is a small tight knit town that didn't succumb to the retail explosion that most other cities went through (like Rocky River or Westlake or Beachwood or Lyndhurst, all cities I would probably avoid for your criteria).
To many suburbs around here feel very much the same.... big retail hubs relentlessly competing against each other....
Bay Village has none of that but since it is 5-15 minutes from all the major shopping suburbs... it doesn't need it. As a result is has a much better 'small town' feel. It can be a bit pricey, though.
I agree. Bay Village doesn't even allow fast food in their city limits. It's almost entirely family neighborhoods. But I think every city Costello listed would be good.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:09 AM

458 posts, read 1,223,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I don't know what prices are like in Chagrin Falls now, but a few years ago you could only get a very small 3 bedroom for his price range. I'm guessing that with 4 kids he'd have to spend well over $250k to get the square footage he needs. I could be wrong so don't hold me to that, but that's what i remember prices being like. My ex bf's sister bought a huge house in Bainbridge for like $500k around that same time.
True. I was basing this more on the sense of community though. I grew up in Bainbridge. It was nice, but it the community was based on what development you lived in (Lake Lucerne, Pilgram Village, Spring Valley), not the city as a whole like in Chagrin Falls.

Bainbridge and Solon def. gives you more bang for your buck than Chagrin Falls for sure. Kenston's are also good too (Baised though - GO BOMBERS!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland