Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:29 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,149,270 times

Advertisements

Actually, come to think of it, probably the only schools that are better than Shaker in NEO are private schools. I think that it's definitely in the top tier of Public schools in the area. The only thing that throws people is the racial and socioeconomic diversity, the latter of which results in lower standardized test scores for the district. However, in my opinion, this is more of an asset than a liability, because of how Shaker actively promotes tolerance and integration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 10:21 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,387,272 times
Rocky river. Good schools. On lake,river and metro park system. Within 30 minute comute to dt and clinic.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:15 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,291,960 times
Shaker is also one of only a few districts statewide that offers IB from Kindergarten through 12th grade. I'd actually argue that the Shaker schools are excellent; the only issue is that a sizable and growing chunk of the student enrollment comes from a low-income background, which drags overall test scores down as a result.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:52 PM

3,978 posts, read 5,807,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Shaker has some pretty distinguished alums.
The actor Paul Newman is one of them I believe.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:39 AM

24,147 posts, read 32,639,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Just what Cleveland suburbs aren't "family friendly"?

In the Greater Cleveland area, it's a lot easier to find "family friendly" areas than it is to pinpoint areas that are more singles-oriented. I found Northeast Ohio to be excruciatingly family oriented. One of the reasons I moved.

I am formerly from NY, and there are many suburbs of NYC that are not "family friendly". Bad schools, very dense, violence, small properties and are also expensive.
I'm thinking of some NYC suburbs where a three bedroom house will be in an undesirable area and will cost around 300K.

Try Googeling the following places - Mastic Beach NY, Shirley NY, Wyandanch NY and Brentwood NY.
Or look on City Data. Don't be fooled by any attractive photos of the Atlantic Ocean in the case of the first two.

Part of the reason why people will ask about moving, is that City Data was first a "relocation forum".

Old 10-08-2013, 07:18 PM

376 posts, read 601,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Shaker Lakes, Shaker Nature Center? Doesn't count?THen I guess you've resigned yourself to Suburbia, USA. Good luck in Brecksiville. It sucks. Oh well. Have you been to Cleveland before?
You have a seriously misguided notion of "nature". I don't know in what world a municipal level park counts as "nature", maybe in your world. And I already told you a little municipal park doesn't count, do you really have to ask twice? You seem quite full of yourself. Good luck to you sir, you will need that luck with such an attitude.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:23 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,149,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
You have a seriously misguided notion of "nature". I don't know in what world a municipal level park counts as "nature", maybe in your world. And I already told you a little municipal park doesn't count, do you really have to ask twice? You seem quite full of yourself. Good luck to you sir, you will need that luck with such an attitude.
The Shaker Lakes, which is actually a several miles long chain of parks are actually more like a metro park than a city park, but if you're after big open spaces, and a feeling of more isolation, I agree, Shaker is probably not the place for you.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:56 PM

11,077 posts, read 12,523,948 times
Quote:
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

I don't understand why people come to city forums to talk about their dream home in some god-awful, mind-numbingly dull exurban or rural area.

Shaker Lakes is not some "municipal park," but keep telling yourself that. If you knew anything at all about Cleveland, you'd also know that no matter where you live in the metro, you're usually never more than a 30 minute drive from a metro park, and you're close to Cuyahoga Valley National Park too.

Get a clue before you say anything more to me.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 10-08-2013 at 10:04 PM..

Old 10-09-2013, 04:10 AM

19 posts, read 39,789 times
Quote:
We are a family of 5, will be moving from NYC next summer. Husband works at Cleveland Clinic, I will work around downtown. We are looking for a nice family oriented community w/in 30 min of both workplaces with excellent school and close to parks for hiking. Any suggestions?

Excellent schools, near hiking, with a 30 minute commute: Brecksville/Broadview Heights, Rocky River, Independence, Chagrin Falls. Yes, Shaker is great, if you want a metropolitan lifestyle and HIGH taxes, with average schools AT BEST. And no, the Shaker Lakes aren't exactly a draw for true hikers. I lived there for three years, I would not raise kids there. Especially with three kids, no doubt there are better things to spend money on than Shaker taxes. The Shaker public schools can't compete with Rocky River, Brecksville/Broadview Heights, or Chagrin Falls. What is up with this Shaker Heights bug up some people's rears, I will never understand. It's pretty, and THAT IS ALL. If you like Shaker, it's an easy drive from a decent suburb. You can visit. The other option is to live in Shaker, and send your kids to private school- but I don't think it suits your request of a hiking-friendly area.

Here is a link for the OP in regards to Shaker hiking: City of Shaker Heights - Bikes and Hikes

And another, about hiking in other areas: Reservations and Partner Locations | Cleveland Metroparks

Let me wrap this up by saying I like Shaker, and I enjoyed living there. It is not, however, the answer to every inquiry about where is best to live in the Cleveland area.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:52 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,841,642 times
Look into Mayfield Village, IMO. North Chagrin reservation is right there and it's one of the larger ones, iirc. Plenty of hiking trails in there. Schools are probably just a notch below the best (top 10 and not top 5) and there's still some diversity in the school system (whereas Brecksville, which is maybe the next best option, is probably 95%+ white).

The commute is likely to be better than Brecksville as well. (I doubt it can be done in 30 minutes during rush hour).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland