Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 10:21 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,420,107 times

Advertisements

I feel like I've answered this question many times before. We should think about making some type of sticky thread with info about all the standard "family friendly" suburbs. And of course a separate thread for the people interested in urban neighborhoods. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 12:33 PM

11,077 posts, read 12,515,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
I feel like I've answered this question many times before. We should think about making some type of sticky thread with info about all the standard "family friendly" suburbs. And of course a separate thread for the people interested in urban neighborhoods. Just a thought.
Need suburb-data.com

Old 10-06-2013, 09:05 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,341,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Shaker Lakes, Shaker Nature Center? Doesn't count? THen I guess you've resigned yourself to Suburbia, USA. Good luck in Brecksiville. It sucks. Oh well. Have you been to Cleveland before?
Yes, when someone asks where they can find apples, tell them apples are "boring" and that oranges are what they should pursue instead.

I think Brecksville might be a good choice for the OP. Strange as it seems, some people actually like suburbia.

I was going to suggest something along the Chagrin River Valley but then I thought it might not meet their commuting time criteria... for Cleveland Clinic, maybe, but not for downtown.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:10 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,341,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
I feel like I've answered this question many times before. We should think about making some type of sticky thread with info about all the standard "family friendly" suburbs.
Just what Cleveland suburbs aren't "family friendly"?

In the Greater Cleveland area, it's a lot easier to find "family friendly" areas than it is to pinpoint areas that are more singles-oriented. I found Northeast Ohio to be excruciatingly family oriented. One of the reasons I moved.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Yes, when someone asks where they can find apples, tell them apples are "boring" and that oranges are what they should pursue instead.

I think Brecksville might be a good choice for the OP. Strange as it seems, some people actually like suburbia.

I was going to suggest something along the Chagrin River Valley but then I thought it might not meet their commuting time criteria... for Cleveland Clinic, maybe, but not for downtown.
What a stupid comparison. If someone asks for apples and I show them a perfectly fine apple and then they just say it's bad without tasting it, I lose my will to really help them.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:28 PM

9 posts, read 13,663 times
Chagrin Falls, Solon, Gates Mills, Pepper Pike, Moreland Hills, Kirtland/Kirtland Hills, Orange, etc. They're in a really good area of Cleveland that's great for families, safe, and littered with parks and reserves. I've lived in Chagrin Falls my entire life and its a great area to live. My father commutes to Cleveland everyday. Its not too far, like 35-40 minutes.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:29 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,840,924 times
Orange or Pepper Pike are going to be your best bets for combo public schools, nature setting, and proximity to CC (though 30 mins is going to be close.

And a better analogy is:

OP: I'm looking for an apple.
BJ: Here's a great green apple!
OP: I don't like green apples. They're too tart.
BJ: Green apples are the best, I don't understand why you don't want the apple I'm suggesting.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:51 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,146,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
We are a family of 5, will be moving from NYC next summer. Husband works at Cleveland Clinic, I will work around downtown. We are looking for a nice family oriented community w/in 30 min of both workplaces with excellent school and close to parks for hiking. Any suggestions?
As a 2007 graduate of Shaker, I can tell you that the schools are very good; not excellent, but very good. They also have a very good reputation with top colleges. I myself got into one of the top 10 liberal arts colleges. Many of me friends got into ivy league, or other top schools. While there are some better school districts academically in the area, there are certain things that set Shaker schools apart, and are unique nationally. Shaker is nationally known for its integration and tolerance programs. Rarely will you find a high school that is roughly 50% black 50% white. There is incredible tolerance and integration among the students at Shaker, which you would be hard pressed to find virtually anywhere else in the country. There is also a great theater program that produces many successful actors, very good arts and music programs, a nationally recognized student newspaper called the Shakerrite, active clubs such as SGORR (Student Group on Race Relations), Model UN, Speech and Debate, Science Olympiad. Plus, the school has a planetarium, used for Astronomy classes. How can you beat that?

Old 10-07-2013, 08:52 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,840,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
a high school that is roughly 60% black 35% white.

EthnicityThis school State average

Black 57%16%
White 33%74%
Two or more races 4%4%
Asian 3%2%
Hispanic 2%3%
American Indian/Alaska Native 0%0%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%0%

Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Old 10-07-2013, 09:19 AM

Shaker has some pretty distinguished alums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland