Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 02:10 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,110,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
New York
Chicago
Dallas
San Francisco
Los Angeles

My thoughts as well.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:06 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Uh, no...Houston should NOT even be compared to NY.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:08 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
1) New York
2) DC
3) Boston
4) Chicago
5) Atlanta

Old 12-27-2009, 10:31 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Uh, no...Houston should NOT even be compared to NY.
It wasn't really a comparison between NYC and Houston.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:29 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Sorry, but Houston is more of a giant Baton Rouge than it is a mini-New York.
And Milwaukee is a large version of Gary Indiana so what is your point?

The comparison is regional vs international (the one he was making) and it is quite valid

Old 12-28-2009, 08:29 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
The comparison is regional vs international (the one he was making) and it is quite valid

lol you guys wish; comparing yourselves to us. I think maybe like 5 people on CD are saying this; no one in the real world would say this.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:17 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
And Milwaukee is a large version of Gary Indiana so what is your point?

If the analogy requires so much explanation, then clearly it wasn't a very good one. I wasn't even bashing Houston (what's wrong with Baton Rouge?), I was merely saying that Houston is nothing like NYC, because it isn't.

BTW, why do you Houstoners think you're so superior to Dallas? Calling Dallas regional is pretty hilarious. Based purely on the success the Dallas Cowboys have enjoyed for the better part of 50 years, I would be willing to bet that a lot more people in this world have heard of Dallas than have heard of Houston.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:19 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Your unabashed homerism and unwavering city pride for your adopted hometown are quite well known around here, so no surprise you're saying this, but Houston and "stylish" do not really go together. I'm not saying this to bash Houston, but the culture, not to mention the climate of the city are not conducive to a "best-dressed" populace, which is what the OP was asking for. The vibe of the city is more blue collar and "Joe Six-Pack" than Dallas, which tends to be more corporate, uptight and "Buttoned-up". And people in Houston seem like the last thing on their mind is giving a damn about the latest fashion trends and following the herd. OTOH, Dallasites seem to really "dress up" for a lot more occassions.
Sort of, yes.
In Texas, Dallas is definitely the one that tries hardest to be fashionable and where fashion seems most important. The very laid-back Austin is at the opposite end of the spectrum. Houston is in the middle. However, the blue-collar vibe of the east side you speak of does not negate the fact that Houston is every bit as corporate as Dallas. There definitely is a scene here, and a market for it, but it's not comparable with the so-called fashion capitals or belonging on any top fashion city list. I can attest, in Houston we are too busy trying to find a cure for cancer, develop new energy technology, and train astronauts, to overly busy ourselves with fashion.

That being said, the poster who went on and on about the supposedly bad quality of the clothing in the stores made me laugh. Fashion being something of an art form, is a bit subjective anyway; what some find as brilliant others may find repulsive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Sorry, but Houston is more of a giant Baton Rouge than it is a mini-New York.
No, it's something of a mini Los Angeles (sans Hollywood) with some New Orleans mixed in and a touch of Chicago. Baton Rouge is a college town more comparable to Austin than Houston, and doesn't even come close to having the big-city offerings of Houston... that's the kind of insult that shows a misunderstanding and ignorance of Houston and gets the Houston people so riled up on here (and you guys wonder why...)

Old 12-28-2009, 10:42 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
lol you guys wish; comparing yourselves to us. I think maybe like 5 people on CD are saying this; no one in the real world would say this.
It wasn't a comparison for the last time. When did I say Houston was like NY??? It was more of an exaggerated expression of how Waco sees Houston. Don't impress yourselves.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:47 AM

8 posts, read 8,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Actually that was a very unbiased opinion and I only moved to Houston over Dallas because it was the farthest from home. I love both cities, but when it comes to being fashionable. Neither rank in my top 5. I'm more shocked that you ranked it over Atlanta. Dallas was like a second home to me before I moved to Houston. I grew up in Waco and many people here agree that Dallas falls behind Houston in fashion. We see Dallas like a bigger Waco, but Houston like a mini New York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

It wasn't a comparison for the last time. When did I say Houston was like NY??? It was more of an exaggerated expression of how Waco sees Houston. Don't impress yourselves.
You said it right there. Houston is not a mini NY.

Philly and Chicago are mini New Yorks, not Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City