Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:51 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,040,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I agree with everything except Boston.

Mines would be:

1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. Washington D.C.
4. Atlanta
5. Chicago
I can agree with that list. Of course we're just talking about U.S. cities, but if we were talking about the world, I would throw in London, Paris, Rome, and Tokyo, just to mention that I love the way women dress in those cities . The cities mentioned, especially NYC, Chicago, and ATL probably have the most women that dress in similar styles as the world cities known for fashion.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:53 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Awww.............
My dude are you serious? What has new jersey contributed to fashion NOTHING . lol. Focus on that. The boroughs contributed more to fashion than most states. Hop offf

Awwww common haters, there so cute

Old 12-26-2009, 10:54 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
SF #2 = seriously ?
I would say SF is number 1 if we only counted the Northern Third of The City-LOL

That part of SF is like Manhattan on the Mediterrenean. People dressed to the nines everywhere. So chic and sophisticated. I love it.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:10 PM

141 posts, read 196,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
haha, if all the gaudiness you see in the NY area are "higher standards" then please keep those standards there. But like I said, you guys just don't get casual and laid back as it's not part of your culture.
Excuse me? New York doesn't do casual and laid back? And what is the basis of this argument? A photo of Midtown Manhattan during the workweek?

Here in Manhattan, we have decorum when it comes to business attire. We don't run afoul like the beach bums in San Diego and traipse into the the office or the boardroom with a backwards baseball cap, Abercrombie&Fitch board shorts, popped-collar shirt and some vile form of footwear like flip flops, for instance.

Anyway, in the case of New York; please look at thesartotialist.com and a myriad of other street-style blogs before making more false assumptions. It will come to your attention that New York City seems to the only American city worthy of their camera film - and that is not without reason.

We do casual style, but we do casual style with taste and sophistication. There is a certain level of taste that will never be reached in San Diego, Orange County, Los Angeles or wherever it is that you live.

And no, Houston or whatever middle-America city isn't well-dressed to whoever mentioned it. The supposedly "good" stores there are even so shameful. What they stock (even at Saks) is unwearable and caters to the lower forms of life. I felt like I was rummaging through a clearance bin at Target and was thoroughly disgusted. What exactly do people wear in these cities? Even the mannequins at those god-awful stores like JC Penny are overweight.

Yes please spare me the boredom, "being stylish isn't about money" yadayadayada proletariat lecture because even the mid-level stores are all laughable and/or lacking.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:16 PM
TT1

148 posts, read 439,887 times
^

Holy snobbery Batman!

Old 12-26-2009, 11:17 PM

981 posts, read 805,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGJFK View Post
Words
OK, time to take your Xanax and whiskey cocktail and head to bed.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:20 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
New York is definitely the best dressed, but there are some of us (*coughmecough*) who are willing to admit they have no fashion sense, lol. I get my stylish local NYer friends to dress me and makeup me on nice occasions

Old 12-26-2009, 11:22 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGJFK View Post
Excuse me? New York doesn't do casual and laid back?
Not even on Fridays.

I learned that the hard way.

LOL

Quote:
Here in Manhattan, we have decorum when it comes to business attire. We don't run afoul like the beach bums in San Diego and traipse into the the office or the boardroom with a backwards baseball cap, Abercrombie&Fitch board shorts, popped-collar shirt and some vile form of footwear like flip flops, for instance.
Silicon Valley is the birthplace of relaxed business attire. Seems much of the world has followed 'suit'-no pun intended.

Its still not as casual as you might think- A nice pair of khakis and a polo shirt or collar shirt will do in many office environments.

Most employers I know of in California do not allow flip flops or shorts of any kind-not even on their most relaxed days. But a pair of slacks and a collar shirt is usually the norm.

Not nearly as many suits as NYC. I can't deny that.

Most of the suits I own were purchased while living in NYC. Now I only wear a suit once in a while.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:27 PM

981 posts, read 805,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
New York is definitely the best dressed, but there are some of us (*coughmecough*) who are willing to admit they have no fashion sense, lol. I get my stylish local NYer friends to dress me and makeup me on nice occasions
Sweetie, stepping outside in December wearing a hot pink leotard, fuchsia boa, Ugg boots and a Fedora is not cute. Your friends need to ask somebody, because that is what we call tack-kay in LA, and you need to put that ensemble away before the 1980s kidnap you and make you their leader.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:37 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Sweetie, stepping outside in December wearing a hot pink leotard, fuchsia boa, Ugg boots and a Fedora is not cute. Your friends need to ask somebody, because that is what we call tack-kay in LA, and you need to put that ensemble away before the 1980s kidnap you and make you their leader.

lol yeah, I'd say that's pretty tacky. I was watching the show "Meet the Natives" and they were staying with a family in Orange County. They seemed to mostly talk about fashion and looking good. They even had botox parties at their house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City