Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 09:15 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Dallas is overrated when it comes to being fashionable IMO. I'd rank Houston over it. I'd say Dallasites dress more sophisticated and classy while Houstonians dress style is more casual, but eccletic. It's kind of sad that us Wacoans can go to Dallas and fit right in, but go to Houston and get singled out.
Your unabashed homerism and unwavering city pride for your adopted hometown are quite well known around here, so no surprise you're saying this, but Houston and "stylish" do not really go together. I'm not saying this to bash Houston, but the culture, not to mention the climate of the city are not conducive to a "best-dressed" populace, which is what the OP was asking for. The vibe of the city is more blue collar and "Joe Six-Pack" than Dallas, which tends to be more corporate, uptight and "Buttoned-up". And people in Houston seem like the last thing on their mind is giving a damn about the latest fashion trends and following the herd. OTOH, Dallasites seem to really "dress up" for a lot more occassions.

I don't think it was an accident that Neiman-Marcus and Mary Kay Cosmetics started in Dallas, and the stereotype of the "Big Hair Debutante" is more prevalant there than in Houston.

These are just merely casual observations, nothing scientific about the methodology. Not saying that Houstonians don't dress up, but not to the level that Dallasites do.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:19 AM

305 posts, read 771,011 times
Well, let's see. There are many barometers to measure a city's "dress factor".

a) Scene or "clique" style of dressing - how many groups of individuals are there in your city who follow a certain style, a "uniform" or sorts?

b) Inventive fashionable contributions to society. Something that was invented that literally changed the game that people have thought unimagineable.

c) Popularization. People in cities who take an item that nobody would think twice about and wear it to the point where individuals in their cities.

d) Shopping districts in their city. How many unique shopping districts or stores are within their city that can allow them to dress well?

If we were to use all 4 of these criteria to measure how well a city dressed, L.A. would either lead, tie, or fall in a very close second place to NYC. Allow me to explain using the guidelines above:

1) Here in L.A. you can find skaters, hipsters, bros, rockabillies (sp?), jerk kids, club rats, etc. etc.

2) The jean started in California (NorCal to be specific) but it was L.A. who re-invented it. Watch this:

3) L.A., IMO, popularized the use of the bandanna. When the gangbangers were doing it back in the 70's and 80's and were wearing their bandannas in all of these ways previously thought unimagineable, the rest of the U.S., and then the world, started doing the same thing once those "hipster bandannas" started to come out a few years ago.

4) L.A. has specific districts dedicated to shopping such as Rodeo Drive, Melrose District, Fairfax District, and Robertson Blvd. That's not even including the stores scattered throughout L.A. City/County in places like Downtown L.A., Santa Monica, Venice, Echo Park/Los Feliz/Silver Lake, Long Beach, etc. And to add on, fashionable, well dressed people congregate in all of these areas.

I know I'm missing out a lot of stuff, especially for my city. But that's it in a nutshell.

So with that said... here's my list:

1) NYC & L.A. (tie)
2) Miami
3) Vegas
4&5) Everyone Else

Old 12-27-2009, 12:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Your unabashed homerism and unwavering city pride for your adopted hometown are quite well known around here, so no surprise you're saying this, but Houston and "stylish" do not really go together. I'm not saying this to bash Houston, but the culture, not to mention the climate of the city are not conducive to a "best-dressed" populace, which is what the OP was asking for. The vibe of the city is more blue collar and "Joe Six-Pack" than Dallas, which tends to be more corporate, uptight and "Buttoned-up". And people in Houston seem like the last thing on their mind is giving a damn about the latest fashion trends and following the herd. OTOH, Dallasites seem to really "dress up" for a lot more occassions.

I don't think it was an accident that Neiman-Marcus and Mary Kay Cosmetics started in Dallas, and the stereotype of the "Big Hair Debutante" is more prevalant there than in Houston.

These are just merely casual observations, nothing scientific about the methodology. Not saying that Houstonians don't dress up, but not to the level that Dallasites do.
Actually that was a very unbiased opinion and I only moved to Houston over Dallas because it was the farthest from home. I love both cities, but when it comes to being fashionable. Neither rank in my top 5. I'm more shocked that you ranked it over Atlanta. Dallas was like a second home to me before I moved to Houston. I grew up in Waco and many people here agree that Dallas falls behind Houston in fashion. We see Dallas like a bigger Waco, but Houston like a mini New York.

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 12-27-2009 at 12:36 PM..

Old 12-27-2009, 12:30 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGJFK View Post
Maybe "casual laid back" in New York City and Southern California mean two separate things.

Casual laid back "downtown" (taken in SoHo):

I can't find a photograph for casual "uptown" (Midtown and above), but it will probably look too dressy for those in someplace like San Diego or LA. Uptown is more mature and resembles something you'd see in a Ralph Lauren ad.

If that picture is what people consider to be "well dressed" then PLEASE let me not be well dressed

Old 12-27-2009, 12:31 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
LMAO...isnt that absurd!

Lady Gaga is a perfect example of trendiness that isnt stylish--but actually bizarre and ugly.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Actually that's a very unbiased opinion. I love both cities, but when it comes to being fashionable. Neither rank in my top 5. I'm more shocked that you ranked it over Atlanta. Dallas was like a second home to me before I moved to Houston. I grew up in Waco and many people here agree that Dallas falls behind Houston in fashion. We see Dallas like a bigger Waco, but Houston like a mini New York.
I see what you're saying.

In my feeble mind, I just find Atlanta too debatable. There are a lot of well-dressed people around here, and Atlanta tends to be ahead of the curve of fashion when it comes to the Southeast (except for Miami), but I guess I'm comparing it to LA and NYC, which is admittedly unfair. I guess because I live here and I see the major and subtle differences in the crowds at Lenox Square and Downtown/Midtown versus the more suburban crowds that I see at Mall of Georgia or Town Center at Cobb. Even at different churches I go to, I see subtle differences. Go to Bishop Long or Creflo Dollar's church and compare how people dress there compared to say, Victory World, Buckhead Church, Destiny Metropolitan or a rock-ribbed, down home type of church.

As for Dallas, I think my experiences were from hanging out at Northpark and some of the more well-heeled suburbs. If I went straight from the airport to Big T Plaza or hung out around The Cliff, my opinion would probably be different. My friend that lives in Oak Cliff is constantly bemoaning how some folks in Dallas still think that the shag is still stylish and fashionable. I lived in Mississippi for several years and often saw people in Jheri Curls, so I can relate.

Okay, I'm rambling, but you know what I'm saying? LOL

Old 12-27-2009, 12:41 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
1.) New York
2.) LA
3.) Chicago
4.) Miami
5.) DC/ Atlanta

Old 12-27-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LMAO...isnt that absurd!

Lady Gaga is a perfect example of trendiness that isnt stylish--but actually bizarre and ugly.

Lady Gaga tries too hard to be "Different!" Sometimes, it's just too much. I wonder if her "schtick" will last into a viable career. Madonna eventually took off the crucifixes and jewelry and altered her look.

The only way Lady Gaga could shock me now is if I see her perform in jeans and a t-shirt.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:54 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times
Quote:
Actually that was a very unbiased opinion and I only moved to Houston over Dallas because it was the farthest from home. I love both cities, but when it comes to being fashionable. Neither rank in my top 5. I'm more shocked that you ranked it over Atlanta. Dallas was like a second home to me before I moved to Houston. I grew up in Waco and many people here agree that Dallas falls behind Houston in fashion. We see Dallas like a bigger Waco, but Houston like a mini New York.
Sorry, but Houston is more of a giant Baton Rouge than it is a mini-New York.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:58 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Sorry, but Houston is more of a giant Baton Rouge than it is a mini-New York.
That whole comparison just flew over your head didn't it???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City