Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 11:49 PM

141 posts, read 196,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not even on Fridays.

I learned that the hard way.

LOL

Silicon Valley is the birthplace of relaxed business attire. Seems much of the world has followed 'suit'-no pun intended.

Its still not as casual as you might think- A nice pair of khakis and a polo shirt or collar shirt will do in many office environments.

Most employers I know of in California do not allow flip flops or shorts of any kind-not even on their most relaxed days. But a pair of slacks and a collar shirt is usually the norm.

Not nearly as many suits as NYC. I can't deny that.

Most of the suits I own were purchased while living in NYC. Now I only wear a suit once in a while.
Maybe "casual laid back" in New York City and Southern California mean two separate things.

Casual laid back "downtown" (taken in SoHo):

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2328/9139blkpack9729web.jpg (broken link)

I can't find a photograph for casual "uptown" (Midtown and above), but it will probably look too dressy for those in someplace like San Diego or LA. Uptown is more mature and resembles something you'd see in a Ralph Lauren ad.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:51 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGJFK View Post
Excuse me? New York doesn't do casual and laid back?
No, not like those that live the lifestyle here in Ca.
Quote:
And what is the basis of this argument?
Visiting in the middle of summer, which should be the time people dress the most casual. What exactly is your basis to refute it? Ever lived in anywhere else in the US?
Quote:
Here in Manhattan, we have decorum when it comes to business attire
Stuffy and uptight, yeah I get it.
Quote:
We don't run afoul like the beach bums in San Diego and traipse into the the office or the boardroom with a backwards baseball cap, Abercrombie&Fitch board shorts, popped-collar shirt and some vile form of footwear like flip flops, for instance.
Yes I know, I already stated many of you don't get the casual and laid back style as it's not part of your culture.

A&F board shorts? popped collars? Sorry, SD is not OC or LA. What is your basis for this? Have you ever actually been here? Btw I never claimed SD was stylish.
Quote:
Anyway, in the case of New York; please look at thesartotialist.com and a myriad of other street-style blogs before making more false assumptions
okay, instead stating an OPINION based on personal observations I'll read a blog and base my opinion of off that. haha!
Quote:
It will come to your attention that New York City seems to the only American city worthy of their camera film - and that is not without reason.
haha, it's a freakin BLOG. As in no one really gives a sh*t.

Quote:
We do casual style, but we do casual style with taste and sophistication. There is a certain level of taste that will never be reached in San Diego, Orange County, Los Angeles or wherever it is that you live.
keep telling yourself that if it gets your through the day. Casual style is not part of the NE culture, you don't get it.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:52 PM
TT1

148 posts, read 439,994 times
That's Manhattan casual but not casual to the rest of the country .those crazy shoes that girl is wearing cost more than most people's mortgage payment.

It's trendy though.

Last edited by TT1; 12-27-2009 at 12:01 AM..

Old 12-26-2009, 11:54 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Maybe "casual laid back" in New York City and Southern California mean two separate things.
Bingo! the northeast is not a casual, laid back area therefore you don't get the style. These are cultural differences imo.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:54 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,920,389 times
In no particular order:

1. LA
2. NYC
3. San Francisco
4. Atlanta
5. DC

Honorable mention: Chicago and Miami

Old 12-27-2009, 12:02 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2328/9139blkpack9729web.jpg (broken link)
If she got rid of the hat and replaced that oversized bag with a clutch, she'd be ready for a night out. Maybe some bling on her ears too. That's a very versatile dress. Reminds me of Halston.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:02 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
you forgot atlanta guy

Old 12-27-2009, 12:03 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:

I can't find a photograph for casual "uptown" (Midtown and above), but it will probably look too dressy for those in someplace like San Diego or LA. Uptown is more mature and resembles something you'd see in a Ralph Lauren ad.

You can tell they're native NYers because of the black. It's a ritual to wear black when you go out to nice places. You should have seen it; my whole family was all in black when we went to see the Rockettes the other day

Old 12-27-2009, 12:11 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
New York
Chicago
Dallas
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Old 12-27-2009, 12:12 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yes I know, I already stated many of you don't get the casual and laid back style as it's not part of your culture.
I guess that's basically it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City