Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 09:39 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times

Advertisements

people here throw out their favorite cities as top 10 for anything

Old 12-26-2009, 09:39 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
I'm surprised so many people are saying LA. People on the west coast are pretty casual about their appearance. They may wear brand names, but their style is anything but well-dressed imo. If I were to pick, it would probably be:

1. NYC
2. Boston
3. Chicago
4. Hartford, CT
5. DC
I am sort of surprised too. I think best dressed goes for many of the northeast cities like NYC and some of those ivy league towns and Miami.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:48 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
I'm surprised so many people are saying LA. People on the west coast are pretty casual about their appearance. They may wear brand names, but their style is anything but well-dressed imo. If I were to pick, it would probably be:

1. NYC
2. Boston
3. Chicago
4. Hartford, CT
5. DC
It's because our opinions of style differs. What I might consider stylish is what you may consider tacky. I have a feeling your going for the more sophisticated look based on your choices.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:51 PM

95 posts, read 77,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It's because our opinions of style differs. What I might consider stylish is what you may consider tacky. I have a feeling your going for the more sophisticated look based on your choices.
Actually, atleast IMO.... he is correct.

But, it is that way simply because of weather too.

Many people in LA live for the beach culture and it shows in their appearance.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:53 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDN99 View Post
Actually, atleast IMO.... he is correct.

But, it is that way simply becuase of weather too.

Many people in LA live for the beach culture and it shows in their appearance.
I've never been to CA and I've based my choices on what I've seen here in Texas. People from LA can dress. I don't even see how you could make a point by including Hartford, CT.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:55 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
You can still dress casual and stylish at the same time. But casual and laid back seem like foreign words to many east coast people so can't expect them to appreciate other styles aside from stuffy, uptight, and formal. I guess it's a west coast thing, as well as Miami.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:56 PM

95 posts, read 77,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've never been to CA and I've based my choices on what I've seen here in Texas. People from LA can dress. I don't even see how you could make a point by including Hartford, CT.
Yeah, but people from California that are currently in Texas are not 15 minutes from the beach.

I was not the person who put Hartford.

However, Hartford and Stamford dress very well for their size. Both of those CT cities are heavily infulenced by NYC. Many in Hartford and Stamford work in NYC.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:07 PM
TT1

148 posts, read 439,906 times
New York
Miami

You can find a few stylish people in LA (On the Westside) but I don't equate it with style or fashion

reminds me of this article from style.com

Quote:
The L.A Style Crisis

STYLE.COM

The center of the Show-business universe is home to one of the worst sins in fashion: Trying way too hard to appear casual.

-By Katherine Wheelock
-Photographs by Alex Tehrani

Some observers blame the weather—people aren't as covered up, and all that freedom leads to chaos. Others point to the quandary of trying to dress yourself in a place that's theoretically relaxed but actually obsessed with appearance. Whatever the reason, if, right now, you zoomed in on the men walking the streets of what's considered America's most photogenic city—Los Angeles—you'd find more questionable fashion choices than you would among the EZ scooters at Epcot.

"L.A. certainly has its own look," says Brian Atwood, the creative director at Bally. "In New York it's about serious fashion. In L.A. it's about play."

That statement suggests that a carefree approach to dressing reigns there. But some of the tortured male archetypes that are the city's stock in trade—the guy in appliquéd jeans and an airbrushed T-shirt from Ed Hardy, the tattooed Joel Madden look-alike, and the Silver Lake flea-market shopper, accessorizing simultaneously with a neckerchief, a straw fedora, plastic sunglasses, and dog tags—look like the products of a tremendous amount of effort.

"There's an overstudied attempt at informality in the way men in L.A. approach dressing," says Scott Sternberg, founder of the label Band of Outsiders, which is based there. "It's a desperate attempt to look like they're not trying too hard when, in effect, they just look like they're trying too hard."

"When I lived in L.A. I dressed like this," says New York designer Thom Browne, referring to his uniform of a slim-cut suit and tie, "and if I got one more question about what I was so dressed up for . . . " He raises an interesting point. Perversely enough, the guy on the hot seat for his clothing choices here isn't the one with intricately shaved facial hair and a T-shirt with a heart and skull emblazoned on the front—it's the one in the custom suit and classic loafers.

Tom Kalenderian, the men's fashion director at Barneys New York, suggests that the very people whose omnipresence in L.A. should put it ahead of most American cities when it comes to fashion are the ones dragging it down: celebrity stylists. "There's so much obsession with the red carpet," he says. "People don't trust their instincts the way they should." But the guys who do trust their instincts enough to stick with the same aesthetic year in and year out aren't doing any better. Take the mid-level talent agent. Rather than allow an immaculately constructed Dries Van Noten suit to telegraph his potential success, he parodies the look of a nineties power agent: roomy-cut suit, fat-knotted tie, pocket square, and silver-rimmed aviators, which he's usually clutching awkwardly in one hand, like a rookie cop trying to get a grip on his gun.

Then there's the other fixture on L.A.'s male-style merry-go-round: He can be found drinking a fruity cocktail on Robertson Boulevard, wearing cargo shorts, a sleeveless T-shirt that says HUNTINGTON BEACH LIFEGUARD, and flip-flops. And maybe the persistence of this particular sartorial stereotype really is abetted by months of 70-degree days. Or maybe it's fed by an atmosphere in which youth is king. Most likely, as with the other L.A. style caricatures, it's a manifestation of the relaxed-versus-vain contradiction that defines the culture—the one few will own up to. "It's all an illusion," says Vincent Ehly, the men's buyer for Maxfield in L.A. "'I'm successful. I'm not stressed. And I just happened to find all these clothes and throw them on.'"

Last edited by TT1; 12-26-2009 at 10:22 PM..

Old 12-26-2009, 10:41 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
haha, if all the gaudiness you see in the NY area are "higher standards" then please keep those standards there. But like I said, you guys just don't get casual and laid back as it's not part of your culture.

I agree

Old 12-26-2009, 10:43 PM

200 posts, read 814,250 times
I did not refer to Manhattan as a city, I put Manhattan parenthesis to denote that the particular borough was dominant with people who people who dressed well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City